Output of commands to REXX variables
Author Message
 Output of commands to REXX variables

Maybe it is quite simple, but i did not find the solution:

I would like to execute a command from rexx and get the output
(to stdout) into a rexx variable. I did not find any obvious
solution rather than redirecting the output to a file and
reading the file afterwards.

Are there any simpler solutions?

Thomas Mack
Universitaet Braunschweig, Abt. Datenbanken

Sat, 07 Oct 1995 00:21:05 GMT
 Output of commands to REXX variables
Thom:  About redirecting command output to variables, what operating
system are you using?   And which REXX in that system if there are more
than one?   Thanks.   Dave

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't demand much in their fantasy lives

Seven Gateview Court, San Francisco CA 94116-1941      voice-> (415)731-7793

Fri, 06 Oct 1995 21:06:52 GMT
 Output of commands to REXX variables

Quote:
>I would like to execute a command from rexx and get the output
>(to stdout) into a rexx variable. I did not find any obvious
>solution rather than redirecting the output to a file and
>reading the file afterwards.

>Are there any simpler solutions?

For OS/2, you can use the RXQUEUE.EXE program, to redirect stdin to
a queue.  As in:

   "DIR | RXQUEUE"
   do queued()
      parse pull line
      say line
   end

IBM Cary, North Carolina                         phone: 919-469-7242

Sat, 07 Oct 1995 06:42:01 GMT
 Output of commands to REXX variables
Quote:

>Thom:  About redirecting command output to variables, what operating
>system are you using?   And which REXX in that system if there are more
>than one?   Thanks.   Dave

Oh, sorry, I thought there might be an OS-independent solution.
I am using OS/2 and the REXX delivered with it, but the question
seems to be answered already.

Thanks

Thomas Mack
Universitaet Braunschweig, Abtl. Datenbanken

Sun, 08 Oct 1995 00:43:10 GMT

1. Piping output of command into a shell variable

2. Redirecting output of command in REXX script.

3. Assigning output of external command to variable ?

4. Assigning output of external command to variable ?

5. Making UNIX command output an Expect variable

6. How to redirect the standard output to a REXX-variable

7. DOS SET command or set environment variable from Rexx

8. Problem with exec command: error reading output from command: interrupted

9. problem: display command output / kill command

10. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

11. OS/2 system command in Rexx command files.

12. Command line variables to executables,command programs