Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting? 
Author Message
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?

I've been looking for a REXX script engine that hooks into the Windows
ActiveX scripting framework for years now. This would enable REXX scripting
in places like Active Server Pages and browser script, instead of using
Javascript or VBScript. Is anyone working on such a thing?


Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?


Quote:
> I've been looking for a REXX script engine that hooks into the Windows
> ActiveX scripting framework for years now. This would enable REXX scripting
> in places like Active Server Pages and browser script, instead of using
> Javascript or VBScript. Is anyone working on such a thing?

maybe that's something this group ( or some Rexx group ) needs to come
up with. Anyone know how to get started?

jack



Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
Hello,

we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release anything,
but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

Kind regards
Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany



Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
Sounds interesting.  What exactly are you doing?  I'd be interested in
a Netscape/Rexx script engine.  I'm assuming here, for example, that
this would let me insert Rexx constructs in an HTML page the save way I
can now insert javascript constructs...



Quote:
> Hello,

> we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release
anything,
> but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
> you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

> Kind regards
> Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?

Quote:

> Sounds interesting.  What exactly are you doing?  I'd be interested in
> a Netscape/Rexx script engine.  I'm assuming here, for example, that
> this would let me insert Rexx constructs in an HTML page the save way I
> can now insert javascript constructs...



> > Hello,

> > we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release
> anything,
> > but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
> > you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

> > Kind regards
> > Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

I'm not a big fan of ActiveX period.  Now Peter's idea sounds neat,
but I wonder what's the point with NetRexx already in that space.
What I would really like to see is a commercial, cross platform
GUI/RAD environment based on Object Rexx.  Something like
VisualAge or VisPro that I can compile for WinX, Linux and OS/2.


Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
ActiveX is just the general overall name for
where this sort of thing "fits it" in the
Microsoft environment. There are currently many
spots where scripting is used - in IIS
(Microsoft's web server) it's used for ASP
(Active Server Pages); on Windows 2000 there's
the Windows Scripting Host (WSH) that can 'host'
any scripting language that has a language
processor available (currently there's VBScript,
Javascript, and perl). A script written to run
with WSH can do things like CreateObject to
create COM or COM+ objects and then call on the
methods of the created object, etc... This is a
very powerful combination because you can also
write the COM objects that your script is
communicating with. (Kind of takes me back to the
days of yore, with the "subcommand" environment
of VM .. and the "address" statement...ahhhh)

Scripting is available in many of Microsoft's
enterprise products such as Exchange (mail
server) and things like Data Transformation
Services (of SQL Server), and in the web browser.

Very powerful, but what's missing is REXX of
course!

I'm not sure that Netscape uses the same method
to host scripting...


Quote:

> Sounds interesting.  What exactly are you

doing?  I'd be interested in
Quote:
> a Netscape/Rexx script engine.  I'm assuming

here, for example, that
Quote:
> this would let me insert Rexx constructs in an

HTML page the save way I
Quote:
> can now insert javascript constructs...




> > Hello,

> > we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be
ready to release
> anything,
> > but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are

actually interested? Could

Quote:
> > you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail
to me, please.

> > Kind regards
> > Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.


Fri, 23 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
Here's me screaming a bit!


Quote:
> Hello,

> we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release anything,
> but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
> you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

> Kind regards
> Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany



Sun, 25 May 2003 15:50:01 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
Then it's about time you read up on what ActiveX is all about, rather than
making carte-blanche remarks based on a lack of understanding of key
technologies. (Clue: ActiveX is about component interfacing at the binary
level). Discussions on the relative merits of alternative technologies then
make interesting academic discussions, but are of no pratical basis when it
comes to the question of what to support.

In this case, ActiveX Script Hosting means that there is only ONE API to
support in order to allow generic plug-and-play scripting. For REXX, it
opens up a whole world of scriptability of third party applications.

Current Scripting hosts on Windows include Windows itself (WSH), IE, IIS,
Office and many third party applications.

Current Scripting clients include almost all popular scripting languages
except REXX (VBA, JavaScript, Perl, Tcl/Tk, Python).


Quote:


> > Sounds interesting.  What exactly are you doing?  I'd be interested in
> > a Netscape/Rexx script engine.  I'm assuming here, for example, that
> > this would let me insert Rexx constructs in an HTML page the save way I
> > can now insert javascript constructs...



> > > Hello,

> > > we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release
> > anything,
> > > but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
> > > you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

> > > Kind regards
> > > Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

> I'm not a big fan of ActiveX period.  Now Peter's idea sounds neat,
> but I wonder what's the point with NetRexx already in that space.
> What I would really like to see is a commercial, cross platform
> GUI/RAD environment based on Object Rexx.  Something like
> VisualAge or VisPro that I can compile for WinX, Linux and OS/2.



Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:38:06 +0100, Jan Engehausen

Quote:

>Hello,

>we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release anything,
>but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
>you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

>Kind regards
>Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

Hurry!

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
REXX Language Assn
Join us at www.rexxla.org



Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
Mi Culpa.  I missed the key word 'scripting'.  My fault for hasty reading.
Quote:

> Then it's about time you read up on what ActiveX is all about, rather than
> making carte-blanche remarks based on a lack of understanding of key
> technologies. (Clue: ActiveX is about component interfacing at the binary
> level). Discussions on the relative merits of alternative technologies then
> make interesting academic discussions, but are of no pratical basis when it
> comes to the question of what to support.

> In this case, ActiveX Script Hosting means that there is only ONE API to
> support in order to allow generic plug-and-play scripting. For REXX, it
> opens up a whole world of scriptability of third party applications.

> Current Scripting hosts on Windows include Windows itself (WSH), IE, IIS,
> Office and many third party applications.

> Current Scripting clients include almost all popular scripting languages
> except REXX (VBA, JavaScript, Perl, Tcl/Tk, Python).




> > > Sounds interesting.  What exactly are you doing?  I'd be interested in
> > > a Netscape/Rexx script engine.  I'm assuming here, for example, that
> > > this would let me insert Rexx constructs in an HTML page the save way I
> > > can now insert javascript constructs...



> > > > Hello,

> > > > we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release
> > > anything,
> > > > but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
> > > > you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

> > > > Kind regards
> > > > Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

> > I'm not a big fan of ActiveX period.  Now Peter's idea sounds neat,
> > but I wonder what's the point with NetRexx already in that space.
> > What I would really like to see is a commercial, cross platform
> > GUI/RAD environment based on Object Rexx.  Something like
> > VisualAge or VisPro that I can compile for WinX, Linux and OS/2.



Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 Still no REXX script engine for ActiveX scripting?
While 'Automation (OLE)' is not exactly ActiveX, there's a possibility
that what Joe Blow wants to do could be done with it.  But, since I

guess he won't be hearing from me.  BTW: My 'book' Object Rexx Meets
Microsoft Office' is coming along nicely.  Should have a pre-release
version ready at the next RexxLA Symposium.

Lee



Quote:
>On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 16:38:06 +0100, Jan Engehausen

>>Hello,

>>we're working on it. Can't say when we'll be ready to release anything,
>>but "stay tuned". Hm, how many of you are actually interested? Could
>>you "scream" a bit? Either here or in a mail to me, please.

>>Kind regards
>>Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

>Hurry!

>Frank Clarke
>Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
>REXX Language Assn
>Join us at www.rexxla.org



Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Python ActiveX Scripting Engine (0x80020009) Error - KeyboardInterrupt - python 2.2

2. Typo in win32all-108 ActiveX Scripting engine

3. PB with Python ActiveX Scripting Engine registration (Python 2.2.3/2.3)

4. Python ActiveX Scripting Engine raising Unicode errors

5. Lisp script engine for ActiveX?

6. ActiveX scripting engine for Tcl?

7. Python ActiveX Scripting Engine error

8. Rexx, Windows Scripting, and Active Server Pages Scripting.

9. REXX BEAUTIES: Post those little, neat, handy rexx scripts

10. REXX CGI scripts under UNIX with Regina REXX

11. Windows Scripting Engine / VBScript

12. Ann: xBaseScript RC-1 (Script Engine, DOT Environment, and Clipper compaqtible Pre-Processor)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software