HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters
Author Message
 HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters

How do I specify a REXX external command that is passed
to my C subcommand handler and it updates certain parameters?

Example
Xaa = 0
Ybb = 0
Zcc = 0

NM_GET_XYZ {how do I pass Xaa Ybb Zcc so that)

say Xaa Ybb Zcc

will produce non zero values like 20 10 5

I would like to avoid function calls, but the C subcommand
handler will test for the NM_GET_XYZ tag and when found it
will be using variables Xaa,Ybb,Zcc and will assign
values to them that will then need to be returned to REXX.

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters
I would like it to work like PARSE [template], but
since I'm new to REXX I have no clue about how to
pass in a template to the NM_GET_XYZ command handler
so that the Xaa, Ybb,Zcc variables are not evaluated (i.e.
I dont want to pass in NM_GET_XYZ 0 0 0 to my C command
processor).

Thaanks for any help. Bernie.

Quote:

> How do I specify a REXX external command that is passed
> to my C subcommand handler and it updates certain parameters?

> Example
> Xaa = 0
> Ybb = 0
> Zcc = 0

> NM_GET_XYZ {how do I pass Xaa Ybb Zcc so that)

> say Xaa Ybb Zcc

> will produce non zero values like 20 10 5

> I would like to avoid function calls, but the C subcommand
> handler will test for the NM_GET_XYZ tag and when found it
> will be using variables Xaa,Ybb,Zcc and will assign
> values to them that will then need to be returned to REXX.

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters
Bernie Arruza entertained comp.lang.rexx with the following story:

Quote:
>How do I specify a REXX external command that is passed
>to my C subcommand handler and it updates certain parameters?
>Example
>Xaa = 0
>Ybb = 0
>Zcc = 0
>NM_GET_XYZ {how do I pass Xaa Ybb Zcc so that)
>say Xaa Ybb Zcc
>will produce non zero values like 20 10 5

Make the syntax of your command something like

"NM_GET_XYZ" "Xaa" "Ybb" "Zcc"

(obviously this particular example could also be written as a single
string "NM_GET_XYZ Xaa Ybb Zcc") so that you pass the names of the
variables instead of their values.

You will need to code the subcommand handler so that it collects the
variable names from the command and then uses the Rexx Variable Pool
Interface to set them to the desired values.
--

------ http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/imc.shtml

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://rexx.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/ .

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters
I'm currently trying to write a program to display
timelines.  My present approach is to use the slider object
to select dates of interest.  I thought the "detent" might
be the very thing needed to allow the slider to snap to the
various dates of significance scattered along the timeline.
However, it appears that the slider will only snap to tick
marks, not detents.  I RTFM, but found no relief.

Does anyone know of any "undocumented" technique to get the
slider to snap to detents rather than ticks?

Thanks,
Jerry

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters
Thanks Ian for:

1) reassuring me that it can be done
2) Pointing me in the direction of RexxVariablePool(...

Bernie.

Quote:

> Bernie Arruza entertained comp.lang.rexx with the following story:
> >How do I specify a REXX external command that is passed
> >to my C subcommand handler and it updates certain parameters?

> >Example
> >Xaa = 0
> >Ybb = 0
> >Zcc = 0

> >NM_GET_XYZ {how do I pass Xaa Ybb Zcc so that)

> >say Xaa Ybb Zcc

> >will produce non zero values like 20 10 5

> Make the syntax of your command something like

> "NM_GET_XYZ" "Xaa" "Ybb" "Zcc"

> (obviously this particular example could also be written as a single
> string "NM_GET_XYZ Xaa Ybb Zcc") so that you pass the names of the
> variables instead of their values.

> You will need to code the subcommand handler so that it collects the
> variable names from the command and then uses the Rexx Variable Pool
> Interface to set them to the desired values.
> --

> ------ http://users.comlab.ox.ac.uk/ian.collier/imc.shtml

> New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
> http://rexx.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/ .

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Subcommand handlers vs. external functions

2. Need help launching external non rexx command using VXREXX (VIO support needed) in OS/2

3. Registration of Subcommand handler failed

4. lower case External command problem from REXX-NetView/390

5. lower case External command problem from REXX-NetView/390

6. OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

7. REXX DLL problems solved (was Re: Problems getting C subcommand to work)

8. Problems getting C subcommand REXX DLL to work

9. Passing a parameter Rexx to JCL and return a parameter to JCL

10. Help passing command line parameters to awk scripts

11. THANKS: Help passing command line parameters to awk script

12. Passing REXX stems to external REXX functions -Reply