mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx
Author Message
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx

does anyone know if rexx programs run on a mainframe are compatible with
those written under os/2.  if not, id there some kind of migration
process that will convert these programs back and forth?
thanks in advance.

-benny

Campus Living
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469, US                          Lat: 044N 45   Long: 068W 40
Ruckert's Law: "There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out
                of proportion"

Fri, 17 Mar 1995 18:26:37 GMT
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx
Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx
>Subject: mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx

>Date: 28 Sep 92 14:26:37 GMT

>does anyone know if rexx programs run on a mainframe are compatible with
>those written under os/2.  if not, id there some kind of migration
>process that will convert these programs back and forth?
>thanks in advance.

>-benny

>Campus Living
>University of Maine
>Orono, ME 04469, US                          Lat: 044N 45   Long: 068W 40
>Ruckert's Law: "There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out
>                of proportion"

You may find it difficult to transport your CMS code to OS/2.
Most CMS REXX programs use CMS commands such as EXECIO, CMSPIPEs
etc. for I/O plus a whole bunch of CMS functions and other routines.

You may be able to re-use the NON-I/O portions of the code, however :-)

I doubt you will find a program which will convert CMS I/O and other
CMS functions to OS/2.  Until you find such a wonderful tool, you will
have to edit and reuse to best suit your needs.

Fri, 17 Mar 1995 23:24:37 GMT
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx

Quote:

>does anyone know if rexx programs run on a mainframe are compatible with
>those written under os/2.  if not, id there some kind of migration
>process that will convert these programs back and forth?
>thanks in advance.

>-benny

REXX programs should be completely transportable between any platforms
that support REXX, if the interpreter is up to standards.  The catch is
that many mainframe REXX programs use operating system services, some
of which may not be available on another platform.

For example, to erase a file in CMS, I would say "ERASE TEMP FILE A".
In MS-DOS, it would be "DELETE TEMP.FIL".  In UNIX, I presume
there is a completely different syntax.   Careful programming can make
some of these problems less burdensome, but cannot completely eliminate
them.

I know of no process that addresses these migration issues.  If one
exists, I am *sure* someone will correst me.

Jim McMaster

Sat, 18 Mar 1995 05:18:45 GMT
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx
I suggest you look into PC REXX from Quercus Software to make it easier
for you.  Quercus markets a OS/2, DOS and Windows version and provides
many of the CMS REXX functions, like EXECIO.  So it's a little easier to
port programs.  Otherwise, you must detect those functions and commands
that are OS dependent, and either port them to the other OS or detect the
OS currently running and call the correct command for that OS.

PC REXX (Quercus) is available from most of the larger software mail order
firms.  I think they have an 800 number too, but I've misplaced my info.

Quote:

> does anyone know if rexx programs run on a mainframe are compatible with
> those written under os/2.  if not, id there some kind of migration
> process that will convert these programs back and forth?
> thanks in advance.

> -benny

> Campus Living
> University of Maine
> Orono, ME 04469, US                          Lat: 044N 45   Long: 068W 40
> Ruckert's Law: "There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out
>                 of proportion"

| CS / Application Engineering       |                                    |
| M/D AZ49 R3148                     |                                    |

Sat, 18 Mar 1995 05:55:49 GMT
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx
Porting Mainframe REXX to OS/2:  If you want EXECIO and GLOBALV and
all your CMS favorites, they are in Personal REXX for OS/2, which also
has a great library.  Order from Quercus Systems, Box 2157, Saratoga CA
95070.  I dunno how much it costs.  I have no financial connection with
them, but am definitely a happy user.

Seven Gateview Court, San Francisco CA 94116-1941

Fri, 17 Mar 1995 17:28:52 GMT
 mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx
Hi REXXplorer,

Quote:
> does anyone know if rexx programs run on a mainframe are compatible
> with those written under os/2. [...]

On Mon, 28 Sep 92 21:55:49 GMT David McAnally said:

Quote:
> [...] Otherwise, you must detect those functions and commands
> that are OS dependent, and either port them to the other OS or detect
> the OS currently running and call the correct command for that OS.

As an illustration of this point, I'll append the external REXX function
SCREENSZ. (If you know it alreadly, skip this note gently.)  SCREENSZ
will run both with Personal REXX under MS-DOS (or PC-DOS) and with
CMS REXX under all VM flavours. You can easily extend it to cover more
REXX implementations. For some systems, you will need a PARSE VERSION (or
similar) statement in addition to the PARSE SOURCE, or other means
suitable to discriminate between various REXX implementations; of course,
such additional statements will have to go into the appropriate branches
of the select clause (below), as they are system-dependent.

SCREENSZ also illustrates how to cope with various modes of invocation
(such as a REXX function invocation vs. a host command invocation).

Happy programming,

- - - - - - - - -

/* SCREENSZ yields width and height of the screen.        */
/* Invocation: As an external REXX function, e.g.         */
/*          parse value screensz() with w h .             */
/* or                                                     */
/*          say center(stock_phrase, word(screensz(),1))  */
/* Invocation as a command yields only the width in RC.   */
/* Author:        Otto Stolz <RZOTTO at DKNKURZ1.BITNET>  */
/* Latest Update: 14 Nov 1991, 12:20 h                    */

signal on novalue
trace n

parse source system invocation .

select
when system = "CMS"
then do
   parse value diag(8C) with 3 w 5 h 7
   h = c2d(h)
   w = c2d(w)
end /* system="CMS" */

when system="PCDOS"
then do
   parse value scrsize() with h w .
end /* system="DOS" */

/* add more systems here */

otherwise
   parse value "?" with w 1 h
end /* system */

if   find("FUNCTION SUBROUTINE", invocation)>0
then return w h
else exit   w

Sat, 18 Mar 1995 18:57:03 GMT

1. mainframe rexx vs. os/2 r

2. Porting OS/2 Rexx to Mainframe MVS/XA

3. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx

4. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

5. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

6. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

7. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

8. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

9. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

10. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

11. Creation of GIF/BMP with REXX and VX-REXX in OS/2

12. Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????