Querying ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx and rendering them into HTML
Author Message
 Querying ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx and rendering them into HTML

Hi there,

if working with the Windows version of Object Rexx it is very worthwhile to use
Object Rexx for remote controlling Windows applications via ActiveX/OLE-automation.

However, many times it is very hard to find the documentation about the interfaces
to such Windows programs. This is where the utility "rgf_oleinfo.hta" comes into
play: this is a set of Object Rexx programs (one embedded in HTML) which allows
interrogating such ActiveX/OLE-programs and renders the results as HTML files. This
has the benefit, that one is able to print the results with the help of the browser,
thereby gaining a printed documentation of those interfaces. Something, at least I
like to have myself.

If you want to see how such a rendering may look like, here is a rendering about
the interfaces the Microsoft Internet Explorere (MSIE) publishes:

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
    ... full rendering

< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
    ... compact rendering

Should the layout be improvable from your point of view, then mostlikely it is
sufficient for you to merely change/adapt the supplied cascading style sheet (CSS),
a text file named "rgf_oleinfo.css". CSS even allow for defining formatting rules
depending on the media, e.g. screen and printer. So, it may be worthwhile to look
into this technology (cf. http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

---

You need Object Rexx at level 2.1.2, the update (available since 2002-12)can be
downloaded via the "Support download" section at:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

The Object Rexx programs for querying the ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx
are located in the archive:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

The Object Rexx utilities (all source code given) needed are stored in the following archive:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

     their documentation can be found in:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        http://www.*-*-*.com/

---

Installation:

- unzip the archives (make sure PATH points to the utility programs of orx8_99),

Usage:

- use the Microsoft Internet Explorer - MSIE - (it is a Windows Scripting
   Host - WSH-application) to load the file "rgf_oleinfo.hta" (the extension ".hta"
   denotes "HTML-applications")

- should there be problems at runtime to find Object Rexx programs or classes, make
   sure the environment variable "PATH" points to the utility programs of orx8_99;
   if the problems persist, change the security settings of MSIE such, that your
   locally stored files/programs can execute without restrictions

---

Additional infos to the supplied utility "rgf_oleinfo.rex"

- creates a HTML-file containing the published interfaces of ActiveX/OLE objects

- optionally starts and runs MSIE showing the results of the analysis

- can be called from Object Rexx programs, e.g. to get infos at runtime about
   ActiveX/OLE objects (type "VT_DISPATCH"), here's the syntax:

      call rgf_oleinfo.rex app_name | ole_object[, [mode], [display] [, description]]

      where: app_name ... PROGID, CLSID
             ole_object ... anything of type "VT_DISPATCH"
             mode ... 0=.false=full listing, 1=.true=compact listing
             display ... 0=.false=do not display with MSIE, 1=.true=use MSIE and display results
             description ... if given, "app_name" is regarded to be an OLE-object, app_name else

- can be called from the command line as well

      rexx rgf_oleinfo.rex app_name [[mode] [display]]

      where: app_name ... PROGID, CLSID
             mode ... 0=full listing, 1=compact listing
             display ... 0=do not display with MSIE, 1=display results with MSIE

---

---rony

Thu, 16 Jun 2005 07:14:00 GMT
 Querying ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx and rendering them into HTML
As always, this is a great example of what can be done via ObjRexx,
especially through the hands of an expert like Rony.  Thanks for this
tool - or "teaser" as you referred to it at the Symposium.
Lee

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:14:00 +0100, rony

Quote:

> [...]

>- optionally starts and runs MSIE showing the results of the analysis

>- can be called from Object Rexx programs, e.g. to get infos at runtime about
>   ActiveX/OLE objects (type "VT_DISPATCH"), here's the syntax:

>      call rgf_oleinfo.rex app_name | ole_object[, [mode], [display] [, description]]

>      where: app_name ... PROGID, CLSID
>             ole_object ... anything of type "VT_DISPATCH"
>             mode ... 0=.false=full listing, 1=.true=compact listing
>             display ... 0=.false=do not display with MSIE, 1=.true=use MSIE and display results
>             description ... if given, "app_name" is regarded to be an OLE-object, app_name else

>- can be called from the command line as well

>      rexx rgf_oleinfo.rex app_name [[mode] [display]]

>      where: app_name ... PROGID, CLSID
>             mode ... 0=full listing, 1=compact listing
>             display ... 0=do not display with MSIE, 1=display results with MSIE

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:11 GMT
 Querying ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx and rendering them into HTML
Lee Peedin schrieb:

Quote:
> As always, this is a great example of what can be done via ObjRexx,
> especially through the hands of an expert like Rony.  Thanks for this
> tool - or "teaser" as you referred to it at the Symposium.

Lee, you must have a cached news-reader! (I had that post cancelled, because I found a little bug in
the  presentational part, tackled it and now I have been working on changing the HTML-generating code
from using strings to MutableBuffers, which are new in 2.1.2; timings about generating those HTML
files have now decreased to 1/20 of their original time in the average!)

With other words, those links are o.k. and the present programs run fine, there will be an update by
the end of this week though (will be announced separately), also containing a little Rexx utility
generating a Rexx program with constants of the ActiveX/OLE program of your choice.

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: Also on the other post entitled "Re: Parse XML with Object REXX on Windows"; I was not able to
post my mail with the attached archive (at least our site does not show me that article) containing
the renderings of the MS XMLDOM-interface. I asked Herman to post it on my behalf, but have not seen
that either, so I am wondering whether this problem is with our site or not.

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:10:41 GMT
 Querying ActiveX/OLE-interfaces with Object Rexx and rendering them into HTML

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:10:41 +0100, "Rony G. Flatscher"

Quote:

>Lee, you must have a cached news-reader! (I had that post cancelled, because I found a little bug in
>the  presentational part, tackled it and now I have been working on changing the HTML-generating code
>from using strings to MutableBuffers, which are new in 2.1.2; timings about generating those HTML
>files have now decreased to 1/20 of their original time in the average!)

It came through loud and clear on my newserver (12/28/02 6:14PM).
Anyway, I was basing my post on the earlier version you had sent me
directly (plus my past experiences with your programs).  I've already
convinced a couple of die-hard VB users to download the Object Rexx
trial version.  VB does not have anything comparable to
GetKnownMethods or GetConstant.  Just trying to "convert" as many as I
can before "judgement day".

Quote:

>P.S.: Also on the other post entitled "Re: Parse XML with Object REXX on Windows"; I was not able to
>post my mail with the attached archive (at least our site does not show me that article) containing
>the renderings of the MS XMLDOM-interface. I asked Herman to post it on my behalf, but have not seen
>that either, so I am wondering whether this problem is with our site or not.

I receive two (2) copies of this post 12/27 1:59 PM & 12/27 3:10 PM,
both with 10.5 KB zip file attachments.

Lee

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:30:21 GMT

1. Object Oriented COBOL, OLE or ActiveX Support

2. how to construct OLE interface classes OR html parsing

3. Object Rexx using OLE to create message in Outlook

4. Object Rexx OLE

5. OLE & Object REXX

6. Object REXX OLE automation support

7. HTML Page for the C Abstract-Object Interface

8. HTML Page for the C Abstract-Object Interface

9. HTML Form data validation with Object REXX (Windows)

10. Object REXX in a HTML page (Windows)

11. Yet Another PEP: Query Protocol Interface or __query__

12. Yet Another PEP: Query Protocol Interface or __query__