Forward OS/2 system messages
Author Message
 Forward OS/2 system messages

Hi,

I am running OS/2 Warp 3 on an unattended PC and would like
to be able to react on any OS/2 system message that pops
up on that computer's screen. In such a case I want to send
a message to a specific user group on our Netware network
to alert somebody about a possible problem on the OS/2
computer. There is no need to forward the actual message
contents, just a line like "Please look at the OS/2 screen"
or so would do.

Any ideas how I could achieve this?

Thanks
Klaus Schmidinger (CadSoft)

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forward OS/2 system messages

Quote:
>Hi,

>I am running OS/2 Warp 3 on an unattended PC and would like
>to be able to react on any OS/2 system message that pops
>up on that computer's screen. In such a case I want to send
>a message to a specific user group

 on our Netware network

Quote:
>to alert somebody about a possible problem on the OS/2
>computer. There is no need to forward the actual message
>contents, just a line like "Please look at the OS/2 screen"
>or so would do.

>Any ideas how I could achieve this?

>Thanks
>Klaus Schmidinger (CadSoft)

    How about using the supress popups option in the config.sys file ( not
sure of the exact syntax ) and run a program that monitors the error file.
If it changes you could either try and determine what
chaged and tell the
admin, or tell the admin that an event occured and let him look at the
file. I couldn't run un-attended ( 36 days before the last re-boot on my
www.{*filter*}mail.net system ) if I didn't use supress popups.

    home (817) 488-4386  /  work (972) 516-6270  /  fax (817) 481-7182
+                  D.A.M - Mothers Against Dyslex
ia                       +
+ see www.{*filter*}mail.net free/lifetime email and $5 virtual server hosting +

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Forward OS/2 system messages

Quote:

> Hi,

> I am running OS/2 Warp 3 on an unattended PC and would like
> to be able to react on any OS/2 system message that pops
> up on that computer's screen. In such a case I want to send
> a message to a specific user group on our Netware network
> to alert somebody about a possible problem on the OS/2
> computer. There is no need to forward the actual message
> contents, just a line like "Please look at the OS/2 screen"
> or so would do.

Look in the OS/2 Command Reference online help for the command
SUPPRESSPOPUPS. This command, in config.sys, causes messages normally
displayed on the screen to be written to a log file. You could simply
scan that log for messages. Other commands that control dumps and logs
are also listed under the heading "Problem Determination" in the OS/2
Command Reference.

--
                    Greetings . . . Steven R Meyer

2575 Sand Hill Road                DecNet:      45537::SMEYER
Menlo Park - CA - 94025            U. S. Snail: Mail Stop 17
Voice: 415-926-4332                Fax:         415-926-3882

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to retrive forwarded message from multipart message body

2. Forwarded message from patterns mailing list...

3. Forwarding message 22.03.00 from Jonathan Cunningham

4. forwarding message from Jonathan Cunningham (with comments)

5. forwarding message from Steve Leach re Running Pop-11

6. forwarded message suppressing write errors on sockets

7. Forwarded message: pop11 +popvision help

8. Problem with using method_missing to forward messages

9. FXRuby: How to forward a message?

10. Forwarded message from comp.compilers

11. Forwarding messages with the email package

12. Forwarding messages with the email package