NetRexx ??? 
Author Message
 NetRexx ???

Quote:

>Mike Cowlishaw gave a nice (albeit SRO) presentation on Java and NetRexx
>at the Winter 1996 SHARE Meeting in Anaheim last week. At this time, it
>is a research project, not a committed IBM product.  Let's hope that it
>becomes one - Java is aimed at professional programmers, while NetRexx:
>* Preserves the syntax, philosophy, arithmetic, and ease of use of Rexx
>* Generates Java bytecodes for cross-network portability and efficiency

This isn't really important yet, but do you know if it generates java and then
javac makes bytecodes or if it goes straight to java bytecode from rexx?

Quote:
>* Extends keyword safety further than in Rexx to allow safe interpretation
>  from source in the future
>* For a typical class, has about 35% fewer tokens and requires about 20%
>  fewer keystrokes than Java
>(Above from Mike's handout.)

One of my critical thoughts on java is that it is too lowlevel for most of the
folks who the web is really working for (the IS types and homeusers and
what have you)  I think NetRexx could be a tremendous boon for those people, as
rexx is almost painfully easy to use.  IBM should really jump on that bandwagon
and try to sell netrexx to those people who are using 'cookie-cutter' homepages
on AOL and Prodigy.

Another question that is raised in my head, java has a tremendous set of
classes for dealing with network BS.  That has been the only reason I've forked
out cash for the books and seminars on it.  I'm tempted to write a C++ copy
of some of the networking classes...  Anyhow, does netrexx make provisions for
the java toolkit stuff?  

thanks,
nels.



Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 NetRexx ???


Quote:
>Tcl/tk and Rexx together fill the missing parts of each other and
>become much powerfull, easy coding, nice looking programing
>tool. A Rexx port on Tcl/tk or a Rexx interface on Tcl will be
>wonderfull.
>My hart belongs to Rexx/Tk !

A project I've had in mind for a long time, and keep promising I'll do
"over the summer"--I never specify which summer--is to build a web of stuff
around Regina that implements a VX-Rexx like API in Tk.  It'd initially run
on Linux.

It doesn't look like it'd be all that hard.

I'd rather wait until IBM releases Object Rexx, but who knows when that's
going to be (they promised both source and a Linux version)?

At the moment I'm way too busy.  I might work on it this summer.  Or
someone else could go "HEY!  What a cool idea!" and bang it out in a couple
weeks, hint hint.

Adam
--

"Double integral is also the shape of lovers curled asleep":Pynchon | Linux
Thanks for letting me rearrange the chemicals in your head. | Team OS/2
You can have my PGP passphrase when you pry it from my cold, dead brain.



Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 NetRexx ???

Quote:
>This isn't really important yet, but do you know if it generates java and then
>javac makes bytecodes or if it goes straight to java bytecode from rexx?

Michael Stack was slightly off, but not worth correcting until someone
asked.  I sat in the front row at the presentation he wrote about, and
as a result could hear Mike Cowlishaw's comments better than most others
in the room (try talking in a rather mild voice to 150 people when the
room doesn't have a microphone some time!).  NetRexx does indeed
compile to Java source, which then must be compiled to bytecodes by
some other process (e.g. javac).  The handout from the session wasn't
that clear, but Mike stated it explicitly.  He has some hope in a later
stage of the experiment to generate Java bytecodes directly, but the
current translator doesn't do that.  Given Mike's past successes, I'd
be willing to bet he'll get around to it.

Ross Patterson
Sterling Software, Inc.
VM Software Division



Mon, 31 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 NetRexx ???

Quote:


>>This isn't really important yet, but do you know if it generates java and then
>>javac makes bytecodes or if it goes straight to java bytecode from rexx?
>Michael Stack was slightly off, but not worth correcting until someone
>asked.  I sat in the front row at the presentation he wrote about, and
>as a result could hear Mike Cowlishaw's comments better than most others
>in the room (try talking in a rather mild voice to 150 people when the
>room doesn't have a microphone some time!).  NetRexx does indeed
>compile to Java source, which then must be compiled to bytecodes by
>some other process (e.g. javac).  The handout from the session wasn't

hmm.  I think that I might like this feature.  Java bytecodes don't seem
particularly interesting to me, but translation efforts from one hll to
java or possibly another language do.    

Quote:
>that clear, but Mike stated it explicitly.  He has some hope in a later
>stage of the experiment to generate Java bytecodes directly, but the
>current translator doesn't do that.  Given Mike's past successes, I'd
>be willing to bet he'll get around to it.

Yeah, if Mike wants to do it then I have no doubts about whether or not it
could be done..  He never stops amazing me.
Quote:
>Ross Patterson
>Sterling Software, Inc.
>VM Software Division



Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. NetRexx course (was: Starting on NetRexx)

2. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

3. Calling cobol from Java ( EJB ) with NetRexx on VM/ESA

4. NetRexx List ambiguous

5. prominent Rexx/NetRexx links

6. NetREXX problem

7. NetRexx Course?

8. Visual NetRexx Feedback Release published

9. nitt netrexx Q

10. Starting on NetRexx

11. NetRexx: binary operations?

12. WingSoft and NetRexx

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software