Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
Author Message
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

Hi all,

 - Out of the following set of scripting languages:
     Perl, Python, Rexx, Tcl
   do you prefer one over the others?
 - Do you think one is inherently better than the others?
 - Or aren't you sure?

NOW IS THE TIME TO FIND OUT!

I have prepared an interesting small programming problem
and have collected a number of implementations for it in C, C++, Java
and Lisp.
Comparing these programs, one finds that there are substantial
differences between the different languages (such as for program length,
programming time, run time, memory requirements), but that the differences
between the individual implementations even within one language are
even larger.

I would now like to extend this investigation to scripting languages:

  o Are differences between implementations using the same language
    smaller or even larger than for "standard" programming languages?

  o Do systematic differences between different scripting languages
    exist?

  o How do the scripting languages compare to standard programming
    languages such as C or Java?

If you are interested in participating in this investigation
please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
I will make the results available to you after the evaluation.
The effort required is typically somewhere between 1 and 8 hours.

For a description of the programming problem etc., see
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/phonecode/

NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM COLLECTION EFFORT CLOSES AT DECEMBER 18, 1999.

Happy programming!

  Lutz

P.S.: You sure know at least ONE other person who might be interested
      in this, right?  Please tell him or her!

Lutz Prechelt   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/ | Whenever you
Institut f. Programmstrukturen & Datenorganisation | complicate things,
Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128 Karlsruhe;  Germany | they get
(Phone: +49/721/608-4068, FAX: +49/721/608-7343)   | less simple.

Quote:
>>> Ever had negative research results?   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;<<

Sun, 05 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark
Lutz Prechelt entertained comp.lang.rexx with the following story:

Quote:
>If you are interested in participating in this investigation
>please create an implementation of the "Phonecode" benchmark
>problem in your favorite scripting language and submit it to me.
>For a description of the programming problem etc., see
> http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~prechelt/phonecode/

Well, I have sent mine in but the more the merrier, apparently. :-)
(I must say, the thought of implementing this task in tcl rather
horrifies me.  It was fairly easy in Rexx, but I'd probably manage
it in Perl.  I think it would be interesting to attempt it in NetRexx
as a comparison to both the Rexx ones and the Java ones that he already
has, but NetRexx isn't on the official list of languages.)

Interestingly, this is the first substantial benchmark I've seen that
runs faster in REXX/imc than in Regina. (-:

Regina:
79.61user 0.95system 1:22.90elapsed 97%CPU (402major+9762minor)pagefaults

REXX/imc:
45.54user 0.75system 0:46.74elapsed 99%CPU (440major+1387minor)pagefaults

(cpu is an Intel P150MMX)

The other interesting thing about it is that it triggers a {*filter*} crash
in current versions of REXX/imc which is down to a bug that's been there
undiscovered practically since day 1!
--

------ http://www.*-*-*.com/

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

2. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

3. Call for Programs: the "phonecode" benchmark

4. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

5. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

6. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

7. LAST CALL - Postdoc "Intentional Programming"

8. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

9. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

10. Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

11. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

12. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"