allowing a filter to get user input
Author Message
 allowing a filter to get user input

Quote:

> Thus, when the REXX filter stops to ask the user a
>question using PULL, the response is provided from the piped data.  In
>other words the user never gets to respond.

Try PARSE EXTERNAL...except (ooops) OS/2 does not support PARSE
EXTERNAL.  Too bad, it is just what you need.    Dave

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 allowing a filter to get user input

I would like to write a filter that would allow the user some controls.
Something like this:

  some_command | magic_happens parm1

Where the REXX code in magic_happens.cmd tests the  values of parm1.  If
the test fails then the user is prompted for corrective action before
processing continues.

The problem as far as I can determine is a filter receives the piped
data via the SESSION queue and this queue is also tied to the default
keyboard input.  Thus, when the REXX filter stops to ask the user a
question using PULL, the response is provided from the piped data.  In
other words the user never gets to respond.

I assume I could capture the entire output of "some_command" and place
it into a named pipe or file and then play it back, but this would
violate the basic premise of a filter.

Any suggestions?

Doug Rickman

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. getting user input

2. Getting User Input

3. Getting input from the user!

4. Getting user input

5. Getting user input from stdin

6. SLDNF allows non-input moded negative formulas

7. Allowing the user to drag objects in a window

8. New template to allow users to change screen layouts

9. webspace provider with user allowed rexx cgi?

10. FreeRIDE 0.5.0rc1: patch to allow per-user properties

11. Allowing user code within a program

12. Allow Fortran user program to read XP system file