Vispro vs. VX-Rexx
Author Message
 Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

I've just received and started evaluating Vispro Rexx ... Having used VX-Rexx for a number of applications I had just got used to the ridiculous start up time of VX apps.  Vispro changes that - applications are smaller, are up to 5 times faster loading and appear to be as / or if not more stable.

Also the Build option allows one to create stand-alone .exes ie no overload of a HUGE dll.  Even when building the exe to be used with the dll everything seems smaller.  The dll size difference is enormous: VX 900k vs 175k with vispro.

Anyway just thought it would good for all you VX-Rexx developers out there to go and have a wee look - you may be horrified at just how fast visual rexx apps SHOULD run.

Craig S

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro vs. VX-Rexx
|  I've just received and started evaluating Vispro Rexx ... Having used VX-Rexx for a number of applications I had just got used to the ridiculous start up time of VX apps.  Vispro changes that - applications are smaller, are up to 5 times faster loading and appear to be as / or if not more stable.
|
|  Also the Build option allows one to create stand-alone .exes ie no overload of a HUGE dll.  Even when building the exe to be used with the dll everything seems smaller.  The dll size difference is enormous: VX 900k vs 175k with vispro.
|
|  Anyway just thought it would good for all you VX-Rexx developers out there to go and have a wee look - you may be horrified at just how fast visual rexx apps SHOULD run.

I use VX-REXX, and have used it for a while now. I haven't switched to
Vis-Pro, since I have heard that in many ways VX-REXX does things in a
nicer way. Have you read the showdown in EDM/2?

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you think are the important
differences? Things like quality of syntax, interface builder,
features, broze/silver/gold (?) edition differences, and prices.
--

           EDM/2 Associate Editor and Book reviewer
            Team OS/2           POV-Panel/2 author

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

Quote:

>|  I've just received and started evaluating Vispro Rexx ... Having used VX-Rexx for a number of applications I had just got used to the ridiculous start up time of VX apps.  Vispro changes that - applications are smaller, are up to 5 times faster loading and appear to be as / or if not more stable.
>|
>|  Also the Build option allows one to create stand-alone .exes ie no overload of a HUGE dll.  Even when building the exe to be used with the dll everything seems smaller.  The dll size difference is enormous: VX 900k vs 175k with vispro.
>|
>|  Anyway just thought it would good for all you VX-Rexx developers out there to go and have a wee look - you may be horrified at just how fast visual rexx apps SHOULD run.

>I use VX-REXX, and have used it for a while now. I haven't switched to
>Vis-Pro, since I have heard that in many ways VX-REXX does things in a
>nicer way. Have you read the showdown in EDM/2?

>Could you perhaps elaborate on what you think are the important
>differences? Things like quality of syntax, interface builder,
>features, broze/silver/gold (?) edition differences, and prices.
>--

>           EDM/2 Associate Editor and Book reviewer
>            Team OS/2           POV-Panel/2 author
>       http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bcrwhims/

Having only used Vispro for a day or so I've gathered the following:

Pros:

Application speed is enormously faster.  Applications can be build as stand alone .exes or a small exe which needs to be distributed together with a dll (royalty free, of course).  Also when one builds the .exe theres an option to 'tokenise the rexx code' which also increases application speed I think through a pre-compile (??).  The development speed is also remarkably faster (I notice these things - I dont have a pentium with 32 mb ram .... neither do our users).

Anyway besides speed (speed has been the major consideration) the two are pretty similar to use.
The objects are all the standard system ones although there are some add on ones you can buy for a $100 - such as formatted entry fields, spreadsheet, split bar ....

Variables are NOT global unless you explicitly state they are.  This is a major plus especially when working with more than one person on an application.

The de{*filter*} seems more intuitive and easier to use - not that there is anything wrong with the vxrexx de{*filter*}.

Cons:

The biggest problem we will have with vispro is the way it stores an objects event data.  For each object you have an associated file with the corresponding events.  This should not be a problem when developing as you dont know of the different files.  However when it comes to version control its a lot easier to have one file (a .vrx) rather than have hundreds of object files.

Vispro also does not contain some VXRexx functions - one I found was the VRFileDate allowing you to 'touch' a file datestamp.  However these and any other misc. functions are all available on other rexx dll's.

----

Price wise I think they're pretty much in the same region (we got the Gold Ed and Vispro Reports  [which is a flexible report writer for rexx very worthy of a look] for 400 Aus$). Apparently vispro comes with some db2 support (have not intrest in db2).

Check out the hockware homepage:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 02 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

:>:>Variables are NOT global unless you explicitly state they are.  This is a major plus especially when working with more than one person on an application.

Ah, but they *are* global unless otherwise stated in VisPro/REXX.

You should put a procedure at the top of each event to force scope.

dIon
<Multitask Consulting - Bringing OS/2 to u!>

Fri, 13 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

3. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

4. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

5. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

6. Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

7. VXREXX vs VISPRO REXX (IMHO)

8. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

9. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

10. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

11. VXREXX or VisPro Rexx?

12. VisPro-ReXX or VXReXX