Help with Comma Delimited File
Author Message
 Help with Comma Delimited File

Hey!

Does anyone have some code fragments that
can parse this:

"Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
"Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
etc.

Where the data are in a flat file format
in rows and columns.

Any code fragments would be appreciated.

Or tell me where I can go for some. < Please no jokes here. <g>

Thank you Danny

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Danny Rubis

LooK Incoporated

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

Quote:

>Hey!

>Does anyone have some code fragments that
>can parse this:

>"Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
>"Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
>etc.

>Where the data are in a flat file format
>in rows and columns.

>Any code fragments would be appreciated.

>Or tell me where I can go for some. < Please no jokes here. <g>

>Thank you Danny

>_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
>Danny Rubis

>LooK Incoporated

>+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

This is can be done quite simply:

indsn = 'filename.csv'
do while(lines(indsn) > 0)
  line = linein(indsn);
  parse value line with '"' data_1 '","' data_2 '","' data_3 ....
  /* do your processing here
   * i.e.
   */
  say data_1 data_2 data_3
end

HTH, Reinhardt

Reinhardt Behm, D-64569 Nauheim, Germany

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

:>
:>Hey!
:>
:>Does anyone have some code fragments that
:>can parse this:
:>
:>"Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
:>"Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
:>etc.
:>
:>Where the data are in a flat file format
:>in rows and columns.
:>
:>Any code fragments would be appreciated.
:>
:>Or tell me where I can go for some. < Please no jokes here. <g>
:>
:>Thank you Danny
:>

   Danny,

   The following is some code from a VX-REXX app that I wrote that reads a
text file created by exporting from a db. The code processes a complete line
placing each string of text within " " into a seperat subscripted variable. It
accounts for omitted strings (,,"...",,"   ",,). Hope this helps.

      do while(length(DataLine) > 0)

         select

            when substr(DataLine,1,1) = '"' then do
               parse var Dataline '"' PhoneVar.Index '"' DataLine
               parse var Dataline ',' DataLine
               end

            when substr(DataLine,1,1) = ',' then do
               parse var Dataline ',' DataLine
               PhoneVar.Index = 'N/A'
               end
            otherwise do
               parse var Dataline PhoneVar.Index ',' DataLine
               end

            end

         Index = Index + 1

         end

------------------------
Larry G. Nottingham

------------------------

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

 DR> Does anyone have some code fragments that
 DR> can parse this:

 DR> "Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
 DR> "Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
 DR> etc.

Roughly, not tested :

   /**/
   filename='x.txt'
   line=0
   DO WHILE Lines(filename)>0
      x=LineIn(filename)
      line=line+1
      DO WHILE x<>''
         PARSE VAR x '"' y '"' ',' x
         SAY 'Found on line' line ':' y
      END
   END
   CALL LineOut filename
   EXIT

Ave,

Andre Doff

Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

 Danny, I copied this from an rexx program I have.  It reads an ascii
deliminated line into individual variables.  First I change all blanks
to underscores _ , parse the line and change the underscores back to
blanks later on.  i is the asscii deliminated line.

  x = changestr(' ',i,'_')
delim = '","'
delim = '","' parse var i +1 year (delim) . (delim) .,
(delim) sortname (delim) . (delim) ln (delim) fn,
(delim) busname (delim) addr (delim) addr1,
(delim) addr2 (delim) city (delim) st_zip_plus,
(delim) areac (delim) phone (delim) fax,
(delim) . (delim) . (delim) . (delim) cat1,
(delim) cat2 (delim) cat3 (delim) mailcd (delim) .

Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

Danny, try this!

---- snip ----
file=3D'comma.txt'
i=3D0
Do While lines(file)
   row =3D Linein(file)
   i=3Di+1
   Parse Value row With data.i "," data.i.1 "," data.i.2 "," data.i.3
End
/* Close the file */
rc=3Dlineout(file)
data.0=3Di

do i=3D1 to data.0
   Say "Record "i
   Say "Field 1:" data.i
   Say "Field 2:" data.i.1
   Say "Field 3:" data.i.2
   Say "Field 4:" data.i.3
   Say "------------------------------"
End

---- snip ----
And, if you want to remove the ' " ' use
row =3D translate(row,'','"')
before the parse-statement.

/Anders

_________________________Reply Header_________________________

Subject: Help with Comma Delimited File
97-01-12 13.24

Hey!

Does anyone have some code fragments that
can parse this:

"Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
"Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
etc.

Where the data are in a flat file format
in rows and columns.

Any code fragments would be appreciated.

Or tell me where I can go for some. < Please no jokes here. <g>

Thank you Danny

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Danny Rubis

LooK Incoporated

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Fri, 02 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with Comma Delimited File

How about...
fname='YourFile'
Call LineIn fname,1,0
Do i=1 while Lines(fname)<>0
   recrd=LineIn(fname)
   Do j=1 while recrd<>''
      Interpret 'Parse value recrd with Data'i'_'j 'recrd'
      End j
   Interpret 'Data'i'=j-1'
   End i

If you could work with dots instead of underscores, you could
replace the Interpret statement with
"Parse value recrd with data.i.j recrd"
and perform significantky better.

Saluti, Albert

Quote:

>Hey!

>Does anyone have some code fragments that
>can parse this:

>"Data1_1","Data1_2, ... "DataR_C"
>"Data2_1","Data2_2, ...
>etc.

>Where the data are in a flat file format
>in rows and columns.

>Any code fragments would be appreciated.

>Or tell me where I can go for some. < Please no jokes here. <g>

>Thank you Danny

>_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
>Danny Rubis

>LooK Incoporated

>+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Sat, 03 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. newbie needs a little help parsing a comma delimited file

2. Export Clarion .DAT files to ASCII comma delimited files

3. Export Clarion .DAT files to ASCII comma delimited files

4. getting fields NOT comma delimited with commas inside

5. Parsing Comma delimited files in J

6. matching records in a comma delimited file

7. Comma delimited file problem

8. 2.01 Comma delimited ASCII file

9. Import comma delimited text file

10. VW code to read comma-delimited text files??

11. importing from a comma delimited file

12. Comma delimited file?