passing parameters
Author Message
 passing parameters

I am new to REXX, but I have found it to be fairly easy to work with. The
problem I am having has to do with passing an exacutable a string. For
instance:

out_pram = 'ServerID etc, etc'

something.exe out_pram

I can get something.exe to execute, but it gets passed the word "out_pram"
instead of the contents. I have tried executing it with a variety of
quotating marks without sucess. How can I get my REXX program to send the
contents of out_pram to the executable?

Thanks.

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:48:03 GMT
 passing parameters

Quote:

> I am new to REXX, but I have found it to be fairly easy to work with. The
> problem I am having has to do with passing an exacutable a string. For
> instance:

> out_pram = 'ServerID etc, etc'

> something.exe out_pram

> I can get something.exe to execute, but it gets passed the word "out_pram"
> instead of the contents. I have tried executing it with a variety of
> quotating marks without sucess. How can I get my REXX program to send the
> contents of out_pram to the executable?

"SOMETHING.EXE" out_pram

If that doesn't work, post a bit more info about which REXX, which
operating system, and what's in the program between those two lines.

Graham.

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 10:20:52 GMT
 passing parameters

:>I am new to REXX, but I have found it to be fairly easy to work with. The
:>problem I am having has to do with passing an exacutable a string. For
:>instance:

:>out_pram = 'ServerID etc, etc'

:>something.exe out_pram

:>I can get something.exe to execute, but it gets passed the word "out_pram"
:>instead of the contents. I have tried executing it with a variety of
:>quotating marks without sucess. How can I get my REXX program to send the
:>contents of out_pram to the executable?

I suggest you misspelled something.

TRACE I is your friend.

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:00:49 GMT
 passing parameters

Quote:

>> I can get something.exe to execute, but it gets passed the word
>> "out_pram" instead of the contents. I have tried executing it with a
>> variety of quotating marks without sucess. How can I get my REXX
>> program to send the contents of out_pram to the executable?

>"SOMETHING.EXE" out_pram

>If that doesn't work, post a bit more info about which REXX, which
>operating system, and what's in the program between those two lines.

>Graham.

Thanks Graham, that did the trick. I find it interesting that none of the
books I have pointed it out.

Just as a follow up, the version of REXX is one that was shipped with
Computer Associates product, Automation Point. It's called ASOREXX and runs
on NT.

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:38:32 GMT

1. passing parameter from awk back to korn shell

2. Pass parameter to pattern

3. Passing parameters to external subroutines

4. Passing parameters to application

5. Passing parameters to an update form

6. C55ee Internet and Passing Parameters

7. Passing Parameters.

8. Passing Parameters

9. Passing parameters in lookups

10. Report Writer with many pass parameters causes error on Win Millennium

11. Passing parameter into App.exe

12. Passing parameters