RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
Author Message
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)

OK, I've gotten past the lower case issue.  RexxUtil by Patrick McPhee
loads. (Load SysLoadFuncs as sysloadfuncs and use Regina.exe not Rexx.exe).

Now to execute a 1500+ line program originally written in Rexx with RexxUtil
for OS2 under Windows NT.

The name of the program is savecrimereports.rexxx.  (the OS2 program with
the extension changed from .cmd to .rexx)  Right out of the box, I get this:

G:\CMD>notepad savecrimereports.rexx
G:\CMD>savecrimereports.rexx g9tajb0.msg
Error 14 running "G:\CMD\SaveCrimeReports.rexx", line 1532: Incomplete
DO/SELECT/IF
G:\CMD>

The first 6 lines of the program are:
******************
/* SaveCrimeReports.cmd */
parse arg messagefile mode1 mode2 .
trace ?R
if length(messagefile)<15 then
  messagefile="g:\southsde\pmmail20\jwirt21.act\inbox.fld\"||messagefile
mode1 mode2
exit
ok=SysFileTree(messagefile,"filelist","F")
if filelist.0=0 then do
  say "File not found." messagefile
  exit
  end
*****************
I entered the first "exit" command to force the program to quit so I
wouldn't get the error message. Still I get the error message, "Error on
line 1532."  How does the Regina interpreter get past the first Exit
command?

This savecrimereports.rexx works PERFECTLY (indeed, robustly) as
savecrimereports.cmd under Rexx for OS2.

So am I in for a big deal converting it to Regina Rexx?

John

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:01:16 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
Sorry, here is my post again with some lines removed to make it
intelligible.

[...]

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:05:51 GMT

%
% The name of the program is savecrimereports.rexxx.  (the OS2 program with
%  the extension changed from .cmd to .rexx)  Right out of the box, I get
% this:
%
%  G:\CMD>savecrimereports.rexx g9tajb0.msg
% Error 14 running "G:\CMD\SaveCrimeReports.rexx", line 1532: Incomplete
% DO/SELECT/IF
% G:\CMD>

One difference between Regina and OS/2 Classic Rexx is that Regina performs a
full parse before executing, where Classic Rexx defers the parse. As I understand
it, Object Rexx has the same problem, and probably most others. Assuming there is
a syntax error at line 1532, how big the problem is depends on how many such
errors there are, and why they're there. If there's data being read using
sourceline, you could try putting it in a comment.

(if there isn't really a syntax error, then I guess you have a big problem ...)
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
Knightsbridge SW7

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 02:25:06 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)

Quote:
> The name of the program is savecrimereports.rexxx.  (the OS2 program with
> the extension changed from .cmd to .rexx)  Right out of the box, I get this:

> G:\CMD>notepad savecrimereports.rexx
> G:\CMD>savecrimereports.rexx g9tajb0.msg
> Error 14 running "G:\CMD\SaveCrimeReports.rexx", line 1532: Incomplete
> DO/SELECT/IF
> G:\CMD>

[snip]
> This savecrimereports.rexx works PERFECTLY (indeed, robustly) as
> savecrimereports.cmd under Rexx for OS2.

I sounds to me as if perhaps there have always been syntactic errors
present in your OS/2 program, but they never showed up at run-time
because that particular bit of code wasn't invoked.  Perhaps Regina is
like the Object Rexx interpreter: it performs a proper syntax check
before starting interpretation, rather than fail when it comes upon the
error later.

If you still have access to OS/2, and have either Warp 4 or can download
the Object Rexx that comes for free, then invoke SWITCHRX.CMD and reboot
your OS/2 system, and then see if you get the self-same errors with
savecrimereports.cmd --- I suspect that you will.

This concept (of ensuring that the entire program is syntactically
correct before running any of it) catches a lot of silly mistakes made by
slip-shod programmers, that might, under different program flow
conditions, cause much greater problems in debugging if they were found
on-the-fly.  It's one of the reasons why some people have complained that
ORexx won't run their programs, when the true cause is their own poor
attention to detail:  the authors of Regina are to be applauded for
incorporating this detection phase.

--

    "We have gone from a world of concentrated knowledge and wisdom to one of
    distributed ignorance.  And we know and understand less while being incr-

Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:42:13 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)

<snip>
This concept (of ensuring that the entire program is syntactically

Quote:
> correct before running any of it) catches a lot of silly mistakes made by
> slip-shod programmers, that might, under different program flow
> conditions, cause much greater problems in debugging if they were found
> on-the-fly.  It's one of the reasons why some people have complained that
> ORexx won't run their programs, when the true cause is their own poor
> attention to detail:  the authors of Regina are to be applauded for
> incorporating this detection phase.

Everybody makes mistakes and it's often difficult to find these errors if you
don't have the tools.  That's the reason I use ORexx even when coding
classic rexx.  That doesn't mean that people are slipshod because they missed
an error, it just means they're human.

Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:50:09 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
Line 1532 is the last line of the program.

Quote:

> % Now to execute a 1500+ line program originally written in Rexx with
RexxUtil
> % for OS2 under Windows NT.
> %
> % The name of the program is savecrimereports.rexxx.  (the OS2 program
with
> %  the extension changed from .cmd to .rexx)  Right out of the box, I get
> % this:
> %
> %  G:\CMD>savecrimereports.rexx g9tajb0.msg
> % Error 14 running "G:\CMD\SaveCrimeReports.rexx", line 1532: Incomplete
> % DO/SELECT/IF
> % G:\CMD>

> One difference between Regina and OS/2 Classic Rexx is that Regina
performs a
> full parse before executing, where Classic Rexx defers the parse. As I
understand
> it, Object Rexx has the same problem, and probably most others. Assuming
there is
> a syntax error at line 1532, how big the problem is depends on how many
such
> errors there are, and why they're there. If there's data being read using
> sourceline, you could try putting it in a comment.

> (if there isn't really a syntax error, then I guess you have a big problem
...)
> --

> Patrick TJ McPhee
> Knightsbridge SW7

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:54:24 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
Okay, Object Rexx here I come. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks Jason
and BRian and Patrick.

Quote:

> <snip>
> This concept (of ensuring that the entire program is syntactically

> > correct before running any of it) catches a lot of silly mistakes made
by
> > slip-shod programmers, that might, under different program flow
> > conditions, cause much greater problems in debugging if they were found
> > on-the-fly.  It's one of the reasons why some people have complained
that
> > ORexx won't run their programs, when the true cause is their own poor
> > attention to detail:  the authors of Regina are to be applauded for
> > incorporating this detection phase.

> Everybody makes mistakes and it's often difficult to find these errors if
you
> don't have the tools.  That's the reason I use ORexx even when coding
> classic rexx.  That doesn't mean that people are slipshod because they
missed
> an error, it just means they're human.

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:53:41 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)

Quote:

> Line 1532 is the last line of the program.

Sounds like you have a very seldom used branch on an if or select statement.

I have configured Visual SlickEdit to have hot keys between the do/end and
select/end pairs. Then I just hit the hot key to jump between them, and
eventually I find the one short the end. I you've never seen Slick working with
Rexx, come to the RexxLA Symposium and I'll have it in action!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:08:58 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
Well I'd like to but LA is a long way from DC!

Quote:

> > Line 1532 is the last line of the program.

> Sounds like you have a very seldom used branch on an if or select
statement.

> I have configured Visual SlickEdit to have hot keys between the do/end and
> select/end pairs. Then I just hit the hot key to jump between them, and
> eventually I find the one short the end. I you've never seen Slick working
with
> Rexx, come to the RexxLA Symposium and I'll have it in action!

> --
> Michael Lueck
> Lueck Data Systems

> Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 09:31:08 GMT
 RexxUtil for Regina Rexx, part II (Or, tales of conversion to Rexx for Windows)
An if you traveled from LA to DC, you'd still be several hundred miles
from the Symposium.. It's  at RTP near Raleigh, NC.

So far, we have registrants from at least 3 foreign countries, plus
several of the Mid-West & Western states.  Sure wish you could come.
Every symposium I've attended has been good - this one is shaping up
to be the best in a long time.

Lee

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:31:08 -0500, "John Wirt"

Quote:

>Well I'd like to but LA is a long way from DC!

>> > Line 1532 is the last line of the program.

>> Sounds like you have a very seldom used branch on an if or select
>statement.

>> I have configured Visual SlickEdit to have hot keys between the do/end and
>> select/end pairs. Then I just hit the hot key to jump between them, and
>> eventually I find the one short the end. I you've never seen Slick working
>with
>> Rexx, come to the RexxLA Symposium and I'll have it in action!

>> --
>> Michael Lueck
>> Lueck Data Systems

>> Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 03:11:25 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. RexxUtil for Regina Rexx

2. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

3. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx

4. REXX CGI scripts under UNIX with Regina REXX

5. REXX in WINDOWS/REXX Add-ins/VISUAL REXX ????

6. Installation of Regina REXX on Windows NT Workstation

7. Newbie on using Regina Rexx under Windows

8. Regina Rexx in Windows NT 3.51 resource k

9. Regina Rexx in Windows NT 3.51 resource kit

10. How do you access DLL functions using Regina REXX under Windows NT

11. Regina Rexx for Windows NT cannot query after connecting to remote Registry

12. Regina REXX and Windows XP?