Jes numbers
Author Message
 Jes numbers

Looks like you are trying to reinvent a scheduling system.

You might try using the TSO "STATUS" command. Given a jobname without a job
number it will list the status [input, executing, and finished] of all jobs
with that name. The jobnumber is listed with each job reported on. I have
done this with something like:

/*REXX*/
ARG JOB_NAME
X=OUTTRAP(STATUS.L.)
"STATUS JOBNAME("JOB_NAME")"
X=OUTTRAP(OFF)

Then you would parse the output in STATUS.L. to see the status of each job
running. Using a loop to repeatedly retrieve the status of your jobs will
tell you when to release the next job.

Another solution would be to submit all your jobs under the same class and
same jobname and JES will release them as they complete. If you use the
TYRUN=HOLD jobcard option you could release them manually or something akin
to the above message.

Still yet another rather impractical solution would be to add a step at the
end of each job to submit the next job:
//SUBMIT EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,
//         PARM='SUBMIT 'USERID.JCL.SOURCE(JOBNAME)'
//SYSEXEC DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSTSIN DD DUMMY

Placing a COND= on the step card would conditionally submit the next job
based on the return code.

Just geussing at what you are trying to do.

Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Jes numbers
All good points. I figured they probably werent practical. I never
understood why sites don't have a test sheduling system set up. On my last
account they had one set up, but were not allowed to change it. Thus several
layers of administration were between myself and the changing of the
schedule. Fortunately there was a corporate reorganization the week before I
had to do my testing. And once again I missed the all-nighter and the
beeper.

Just thought my suggestions might help.

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Get Jes RC from inside a Job

2. UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

3. Determining JES Class for executing program

4. JES 2 EOJ

5. reading JES held output queue

6. MVS-JES command output

7. Code & JES Log

8. ftp_lib access to MVS/JES

9. Numbers Numbers Numbers

10. BUG: Scientific Number to String/String to Number

11. Finding out number of threads or number of open windows in the app

12. Auto-numbering & Invoice Numbers