Object REXX for Windows API and CALLBACK
Author Message
 Object REXX for Windows API and CALLBACK

I want to use REXX as a scripting language for testing an application.  The
application has a well defined API.  I could write a REXX DLL to translate
RxString parameters to native formats and translate return codes to RxString
function values for most of the application's API.

However, I'm stumped by CALLBACK.

Obviously, I can't pass the application API the address of a REXX procedure.
I thought I could send a message to a REXX object.  However, I see no REXX
API function to do this. [my reference is the REXX API downloaded from IBM's
Object REXX homepage]

One possible implementation would be via a QUEUE.  There is a REXX API to
work with external QUEUEs.  I could set REXX ALARMs
to periodically check the QUEUE.  This does seem to lose the asynchronous
nature of a CALLBACK notification.

Am I missing something obvious?

It seems to me that if any vendor wanted to implement something like
VX-REXX or VisPro REXX in the Windows environment they might need
a CALLBACK facility.  [I would definitely buy a VX-REXX or VisPro REXX
for Object REXX for Windows or Quercus' Personal REXX for Windows ....
PowerSoft, Hockware, Quercus, or IBM listening?]

Al Sjogren
Seattle

Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Object REXX for Windows API CALLBACK

2. RexxGMSQ just released---IBM Object Rexx---MS SQL Server APIs for MS Windows NT

3. NEED DB/2 API's for Object REXX for Windows 95/NT

4. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

5. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

6. Announce: Update for Object REXX for Windows 95/Windows NT available

7. New Rexx - DB2 APIs for Windows NT 4.x and OS/2 Warp

8. REXX for Windows and HOST APIs?

9. DB2 REXX (or OREXX) API under Windows NT??

10. Callback from API function in IBM Smalltalk

11. Windows Object Rexx & OODialog

12. Parse XML with Object REXX on Windows