IBM Object REXX For Windows 2.1.1 UNICODE bug?
Author Message
 IBM Object REXX For Windows 2.1.1 UNICODE bug?

I'm working on a piece of code that manipulates some text files. Some of
the input files are Unicoded (Windows 2000 REGEDIT5 format export files).
It's easy enough to determine if the text is unicoded (it has '00'x in it),
and if so feed it to the REXXUtil function SysFromUnicode. But invoking the
function simply terminates the program. (Actually, it throws a null pointer
exception, according to a system I ran it on that had a de{*filter*} enabled.)
Invoking the companion function (SysToUnicode) doesn't produce an error, but
doesn't produce any output either. Can someone with IBM Object REXX 2.1 or
2.1.1 try this and let me know if it fails for you too?

call RxFuncAdd 'SysLoadFuncs', 'RexxUtil', 'SysLoadFuncs'
call SysLoadFuncs

line = '123'
say 'Rc: ' SysToUnicode(line , , , uniline) /* Returns 0, but no output */
say c2x(uniline)

uniline = '003100320033'x
say 'Rc: ' SysFromUnicode(uniline , , , line) /* Causes exception */
say line

According to the syntax diagram, the last parameter is meant to be a stem
but neither the variable or the stem of the same name are altered by either
of the functions. My quest for understanding is not helped by the lack of
examples for these functions in the manual.

--
Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand
"I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:12:21 GMT
 IBM Object REXX For Windows 2.1.1 UNICODE bug?
I can't help with the UniCode bit, as I still only work with RegEdit4 format (which you can still make Win2K/XP export that format even from the command line switches), but I do have an ORexx class that would help you work with RegEdit format text files. It is in the Win32 class of my Object CUR library.

http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/en-us/solutions/

I'll upload a clean / current copy now.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:38:12 GMT
 IBM Object REXX For Windows 2.1.1 UNICODE bug?
Hello there,

  if your task in question is an ordinary REXX program (classic Rexx
assumed)
and you cannot get Object Rexx UNICODE working:

  maybe Rexx2Nrx (value added by NetRexx and Java, which do have
UNICODE as the standard file-format) may help ?

  Look at my home-page 'www.Rexx2Nrx.com' for details or give me a
mail.

best regards,
Thomas Schneider.

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:35:06 GMT
 IBM Object REXX For Windows 2.1.1 UNICODE bug?
Since you're getting a NULL pointer exception, I suggest you either opan a
PMR, or (if you don't have a support contract)  fill in a problem report at
https://www6.software.ibm.com/reg/rexx/orxx_prob-i

Quote:

> I'm working on a piece of code that manipulates some text files. Some of
> the input files are Unicoded (Windows 2000 REGEDIT5 format export files).
> It's easy enough to determine if the text is unicoded (it has '00'x in
it),
> and if so feed it to the REXXUtil function SysFromUnicode. But invoking
the
> function simply terminates the program. (Actually, it throws a null
pointer
> exception, according to a system I ran it on that had a de{*filter*} enabled.)
> Invoking the companion function (SysToUnicode) doesn't produce an error,
but
> doesn't produce any output either. Can someone with IBM Object REXX 2.1 or
> 2.1.1 try this and let me know if it fails for you too?

> call RxFuncAdd 'SysLoadFuncs', 'RexxUtil', 'SysLoadFuncs'
> call SysLoadFuncs

> line = '123'
> say 'Rc: ' SysToUnicode(line , , , uniline) /* Returns 0, but no output */
> say c2x(uniline)

> uniline = '003100320033'x
> say 'Rc: ' SysFromUnicode(uniline , , , line) /* Causes exception */
> say line

> According to the syntax diagram, the last parameter is meant to be a stem
> but neither the variable or the stem of the same name are altered by
either
> of the functions. My quest for understanding is not helped by the lack of
> examples for these functions in the manual.

> --
> Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand
> "I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
> national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
> software and decent hardware support."

Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:50:58 GMT

1. IBM Object REXX for Windows Evaluation copy available

2. IBM Object rexx for Windows 98 - problem installing

3. Windows NT Object REXX - IBM fixes/CSDs?

4. RexxGMSQ just released---IBM Object Rexx---MS SQL Server APIs for MS Windows NT

5. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

6. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

7. Announce: Update for Object REXX for Windows 95/Windows NT available

8. Regina vs IBM Object Rexx

9. New Object Rexx from IBM?

10. IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition

11. IBM Object Rexx development?

12. Rexx control of IBM Works objects.