Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)
Author Message
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Hi,

I like to know more about Rexx, but I don't know how to start.
I had in the past some program skills (MSX-basic) but have to
start from scratch again (well not completly but still...:-(

Which Rexx book is the best to start with and where can I read
a review about it?
Is Rexx the language that I want or do I start with Object Rexx or
NetRexx?

I have Merlin (OS/2 Warp 4)  Do I install Object Rexx and if yes how
do I call Object Rexx from the WPS?

Thanx,

Stefan Eissens

SeeYa,

Stefan R. Eissens

Wed, 04 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> Hi,

> I like to know more about Rexx, but I don't know how to start.
> I had in the past some program skills (MSX-basic) but have to
> start from scratch again (well not completly but still...:-(

> Which Rexx book is the best to start with and where can I read
> a review about it?
> Is Rexx the language that I want or do I start with Object Rexx or
> NetRexx?

> I have Merlin (OS/2 Warp 4)  Do I install Object Rexx and if yes how
> do I call Object Rexx from the WPS?

> Thanx,

> Stefan Eissens

> SeeYa,

> Stefan R. Eissens

My suggestion...learn some good, solid Classic REXX first. It makes a
great base for Object or NetREXX and they are skills you will never stop
using.

Once you know a little more about Classic REXX, then choose a flavor.

Will Trosky
co-Author Object REXX by Example
http://www.oops-web.com/orxbyex/

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

:>I like to know more about Rexx, but I don't know how to start.

view rexx.inf

:>Is Rexx the language that I want or do I start with Object Rexx or
:>NetRexx?

Object REXX is a superset of Classic REXX. Classic REXX is
reportedly faster, and you will likely not miss the enhancements
presint in Object REXX. The Classic REXX manual is not so
convoluted. AFAIK, NetREXX is meant for generating Java code.

:>I have Merlin (OS/2 Warp 4)  Do I install Object Rexx and if yes how
:>do I call Object Rexx from the WPS?

If you want to install Object REXX, just type switchrx from a
command line and reboot. After reboot, type wpsinst. To switch
back, just run switchrx again. Switchrx swaps out the rexx.inf
manual to be in sync with the interpreter currently installed. At
any time you can view orexx.inf for Object REXX or crexx.inf for
Classic REXX documentation. At a command line, rexxtry say
version, will tell you what is currently installed.

REXX starts itself any time you try to execute a *.cmd file that
has a /* comment */ on the first line. REXX has no integrated
development environment, if that is what you were thinking. Just
use a text editor. I use Mr. Ed, which does REXX syntax
highlighting, and brings up the rexx.inf help for a keyword if
you double click on it while holding the alt key.

There are several helpful REXX inf files available on
hobbes.nmsu.edu/os2/dev32/rexx/ and at http://www.cfsrexx.com/.
Rexx Tips n Tricks, and Rexxxsrc, the REXX Sourcebook come to
mind. Look at example code and figure out what makes it tick.
You'll be programming in no time.

--------
Regards,

Tim
--------

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> :>I like to know more about Rexx, but I don't know how to start.

> view rexx.inf

> :>Is Rexx the language that I want or do I start with Object Rexx or
> :>NetRexx?

> Object REXX is a superset of Classic REXX. Classic REXX is
> reportedly faster, and you will likely not miss the enhancements
> presint in Object REXX. The Classic REXX manual is not so
> convoluted. AFAIK, NetREXX is meant for generating Java code.

I agree that you won't miss what you never had, but once you start using
the power of Object REXX, you will find that the object paradigm is
something it is hard to live without.

(large section removed)

Will Trosky
co-Author Object REXX by Example
http://www.oops-web.com/orxbyex/

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

In a message dated 02-17-97, Will Trosky said to All about Object
Unnecessary

WT>I agree that you won't miss what you never had, but once you start using
WT>the power of Object REXX, you will find that the object paradigm is
WT>something it is hard to live without.

I have reverted to Classic REXX and don't miss the object paradigm one iota.
I get enough of that {*filter*}at work writing C++ class libraries.

More to the point, I don't miss the slow processing of I/O by Object REXX.
When IBM has fixed this buglet I'll return to Object REXX, but not
necessarily to OOP at home.

The only thing I do miss on occasion is the direct access to the WPS. Apart
from that, Classic REXX is plenty good.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>
___
 * MR/2 2.25 #353 * We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company.

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> WT>I agree that you won't miss what you never had, but once you start using
> WT>the power of Object REXX, you will find that the object paradigm is
> WT>something it is hard to live without.
> I have reverted to Classic REXX and don't miss the object paradigm one iota.
> I get enough of that {*filter*}at work writing C++ class libraries.

> More to the point, I don't miss the slow processing of I/O by Object REXX.

Here, with RexxCPS, CREXX is SLOW than OREXX.
Program load is slow with OREXX but execution is more fast.

--
Bye bye...

    TIME bbs

* Team Os/2 Italia Member *

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> In a message dated 02-17-97, Will Trosky said to All about Object
> Unnecessary

> WT>I agree that you won't miss what you never had, but once you start using
> WT>the power of Object REXX, you will find that the object paradigm is
> WT>something it is hard to live without.

> I have reverted to Classic REXX and don't miss the object paradigm one iota.
> I get enough of that {*filter*}at work writing C++ class libraries.

Obviously you don't like the object paradigm anyway, so whats that
point? If you feel the object paradigm is "crap" stay with Classic REXX,
as long as it still exists.

Quote:

> More to the point, I don't miss the slow processing of I/O by Object REXX.
> When IBM has fixed this buglet I'll return to Object REXX, but not
> necessarily to OOP at home.

The Object REXX programs I use cannot be time-compared to Classic REXX
programs. Using thr directory class and the local and global
environments are things I cannot duplicate in Classic, so an time issue
that may exist is a non-issue to me.

Quote:
> The only thing I do miss on occasion is the direct access to the WPS. Apart
> from that, Classic REXX is plenty good.

I agree that Classic REXX is a GREAT language. That is why I love Object
REXX so much. Mike Cowlishaw did a wonderful job in creating Classic
REXX and Brian Marks (and team) are doing a great job in carrying the
torch in Object REXX.

Quote:
> Regards

> Dave
> <Team PL/I>
> ___
>  * MR/2 2.25 #353 * We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company.

In summary, if Classic REXX does everything you want, it is a great
choice. If you need the Object paradigm, Object REXX is the best thing
going.

Will Trosky
co-author Object REXX by Example

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> > WT>I agree that you won't miss what you never had, but once you start using
> > WT>the power of Object REXX, you will find that the object paradigm is
> > WT>something it is hard to live without.
> > I have reverted to Classic REXX and don't miss the object paradigm one iota.
> > I get enough of that {*filter*}at work writing C++ class libraries.

> > More to the point, I don't miss the slow processing of I/O by Object REXX.

> Here, with RexxCPS, CREXX is SLOW than OREXX.
> Program load is slow with OREXX but execution is more fast.

> --
> Bye bye...

>     TIME bbs

> * Team Os/2 Italia Member *

A reason that "program load" is slower is because Object REXX
"pre-scans" your code for errors. This is necessary so that Object REXX
can find your class directives, etc at the end of your code. I think it
is worth the "wait".

Will Trosky
co-author Object REXX by Example

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

>A reason that "program load" is slower is because Object REXX
>"pre-scans" your code for errors. This is necessary so that Object REXX
>can find your class directives, etc at the end of your code. I think it
>is worth the "wait".

Will, if this is the reason for slow program load times in OREXX then
would using REXXC to "pre-compile" the code speed load times?

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

I am not so sure that this argument holds with regular Rexx.  At least
with VM/CMS Rexx, it was sufficient to have all code scanned by
referencing (through a Call or Signall) a label at the end of the file.
That didn't slow down the load time.

Saluti, Albert

Quote:

>>A reason that "program load" is slower is because Object REXX
>>"pre-scans" your code for errors. This is necessary so that Object REXX
>>can find your class directives, etc at the end of your code. I think it
>>is worth the "wait".

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

>A reason that "program load" is slower is because Object REXX
>"pre-scans" your code for errors. This is necessary so that Object REXX
>can find your class directives, etc at the end of your code. I think it
>is worth the "wait".

So does it do this every time or just the first time you run a
program?

--
Ray

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

Quote:

> >A reason that "program load" is slower is because Object REXX
> >"pre-scans" your code for errors. This is necessary so that Object REXX
> >can find your class directives, etc at the end of your code. I think it
> >is worth the "wait".

> So does it do this every time or just the first time you run a
> program?

> --
> Ray

It would have to do it every time, since it doesn't know if you have
changed the code at all.

Also, if you are not running wpsinst, then the .environment is not
constant from iteration to iteration and any classes you have defined in
the .environment (if any) will need to be reinitialized.

This is also true for the .local environment which is never constant
from iteration to iteration.

Will Trosky

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

2. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

3. Netrexx v Object Rexx

4. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

5. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

6. Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?

7. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

8. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

9. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

10. Object REXX/VX-REXX DB problems

11. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

12. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2