Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?
Author Message
 Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?

Quote:

> Hmmm.  That gives me an idea.  If one is willing to write a small
> REXX script, one could use Lynx/2 (or geturl) to occationally grab
> the pages of interest and compare them (directly or with a checksum)
> to past information.  It seems like it should be rather simple.

> Not an elegant solution, but it would work and utilize minimal
> resources.
> --
> Disclaimer:  The above are my opinions and SSESCO can't have them!

Follow this link:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
It is a REXX program that reads a list of web page URLs, uses the
RXSOCKET interface to pull the header information for each, compares the
date/time modified with that stored with the list, and creates a web
page on your PC using that information.  Give it a try.

It might also be possible to do this with NetREXX, but I don't know
because I haven't had time to learn it yet.  AFAIK, it's already been
done.

Barry

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?

Quote:

> >Hmmm.  That gives me an idea.  If one is willing to write a small
> >REXX script, one could use Lynx/2 (or geturl) to occationally grab
> >the pages of interest and compare them (directly or with a checksum)
> >to past information.  It seems like it should be rather simple.

> Another way is to write a perl-script, since perl has a very good
> implementation of the libwww. You can retrieve pages, or just get the
> os2httpd-information (like size and last-modified). You can even use a
> local proxy / firewall.
> I wrote a small script that allows you to retrieve selected pages until
> a given depth is reached. It stores locally while adjusting links so
> that you're able to view it offline with Netscape.
> This may be a good starting point, since it uses libwww (geturl doesn't
> and so modifications are more complicated). If anyone is interested in
> it, I'll put it on a web site, just let me know.

> CU Juergen

Interested!!!

Also, take a look at:
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/rexxtut/socktut1.htm
It's details REXX program that uses RXSOCKET to check the modification
date of a web page.  Pretty interesting.

Barry

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?

Quote:

> Hmmm.  That gives me an idea.  If one is willing to write a small
> REXX script, one could use Lynx/2 (or geturl) to occationally grab
> the pages of interest and compare them (directly or with a checksum)
> to past information.  It seems like it should be rather simple.

> Not an elegant solution, but it would work and utilize minimal
> resources.
> --
> Disclaimer:  The above are my opinions and SSESCO can't have them!

Follow this link:
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/rexxtut/socktut1.htm
It is a REXX program that reads a list of web page URLs, uses the
RXSOCKET interface to pull the header information for each, compares the
date/time modified with that stored with the list, and creates a web
page on your PC using that information.  Give it a try.

It might also be possible to do this with NetREXX, but I don't know
because I haven't had time to learn it yet.  AFAIK, it's already been
done.

Barry

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?

Wow!

I am really surprised that no one mentioned the following gem from IBM:

        http://www.networking.ibm.com/wbi/wbisoft.htm

wbi is a software "agent" that at least provides the following features
for those web browsers among us.

        - Testing the speed of links between pages and
        graphically displaying whether links are fast, slow or
        unavailable

        - Remembering everywhere a user has been on the
        Web, even if sites were not bookmarked, and so
        making it extremely easy to return to any previously
        visited site

        - Enabling search through information the user has
        already viewed to help the user remember where
        information came from

        - Letting users look back in "Web time" to see the
        paths by which that have viewed pages in the past

        - Noticing patterns in Web browsing and suggesting
        shortcuts

        - Automatically checking favorite Web pages for
        changes since the user's last visit

        - Retaining all this information regardless of which
        browser is used (browser independent)
        Providing connectivity to both Proxy and Socks,
        independent of a user's browser

Check it out.  It saves me a tremendous amount of time.

A note to spammers:
        Use of my email address for unsolicited email is available for
        a charge of US $1000.  Any unsolicited email constitutes, and
        be regarded as acceptance of these terms
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//        Paul D. Walker                       Consultant            //

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Any webwatch-like tools for OS/2?

    pdwalker> Wow!  I am really surprised that no one mentioned the
    pdwalker> following gem from IBM:

    pdwalker>         http://www.networking.ibm.com/wbi/wbisoft.htm

    pdwalker> wbi is a software "agent" that at least provides the
    pdwalker> following features for those web browsers among us.

Well, does it work for you? I like it, but it crashes a lot.

--

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Microsoft likes us :)

2. Looking for someone who likes to write reports

3. Greg likes Oberon (response)

4. Summary of Seek ELIZA-liked Source Codes!!!

5. Q: EAI likes BLUE ??

6. Sun compiler not liking X in format statements

7. Web interface to Majordomo-likes?

8. Who likes Info files?

9. I liked TCL, i love LUA

10. Likes/Dislikes of LISP