OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX
Author Message
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

:>We have an assembler code, which uses TPUT to write the output to terminal.

:>I would like to trap the output into a STEM! I tried using OUTTRAP, and it
:>didn't work.

Exactly.

:>The documentation for OUTTRAP says, output written to user terminal using
:>TPUT or WTO macros is not trapped..

True.

:>Changing the assembler code is out-of-question!

Why?

But, assuming that you don't want to change the code you can:

(1) Use SVC screening to convert the TPUT to a PUTLINE.

(2) Front end the TPUT SVC.

(3) Hook into VTAM to trap the TPUTs.

Perhaps someone else can think of other approaches.

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

Quote:

> :>We have an assembler code, which uses TPUT to write the output to terminal.
> Perhaps someone else can think of other approaches.

Run under the Session Manager and use the standard SM facilities to capture the
output stream. Note that this approach requires creating a separate logon proc
and authorizing the user to it (or cheating <g>.)

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

> We have an assembler code, which uses TPUT to write the output to
> terminal.

> I would like to trap the output into a STEM! I tried using OUTTRAP, and it
> didn't work.

> The documentation for OUTTRAP says, output written to user terminal using
> TPUT or WTO macros is not trapped..

> Changing the assembler code is out-of-question!

Sorry, if this is true, then resolving your problem is also out-of-question.
Your TPUT needs to be changed to a PUTLINE for it to be OUTTRAPable.

 Bill Curran
SysProg OS390,OS2,WinNT, WIN95
http://www.hwcn.org/~aa131

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

Hey guys! Thought of a simpler approach which involves only a "slight" no-no.
Write a user SVC which takes the TPUT parm list and converts it to a PUTLINE.
Then make a copy of the load module and change the offending TPUT SVC
instruction to your user SVC number and STEPLIB when you need to trap it!
(If he doesn't have the authority to code an SVC, he will have to code an SPZAP
usermod to change the TPUT SVC to a LINK to his intercept module...)

- kermit

PS. How ya doin Ben?

Quote:

--
Bondslave of Jesus Christ,
Kermit Kiser

from the midst of the fire:
http://home1.gte.net/timeline

Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

Type "TSO HELP SMCOPY". SMCOPY can trap the inbound stream and copy it
to a file (temp or otherwise) and you can process it from there.

mickey

Quote:

> :>We have an assembler code, which uses TPUT to write the output to terminal.

> :>I would like to trap the output into a STEM! I tried using OUTTRAP, and it
> :>didn't work.

> Exactly.

> :>The documentation for OUTTRAP says, output written to user terminal using
> :>TPUT or WTO macros is not trapped..

> True.

> :>Changing the assembler code is out-of-question!

> Why?

> But, assuming that you don't want to change the code you can:

> (1) Use SVC screening to convert the TPUT to a PUTLINE.

> (2) Front end the TPUT SVC.

> (3) Hook into VTAM to trap the TPUTs.

> Perhaps someone else can think of other approaches.

> --

> Director, Dissen Software, Bar & Grill - Israel

Tue, 19 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

Quote:

> Type "TSO HELP SMCOPY". SMCOPY can trap the inbound stream and copy it
> to a file (temp or otherwise) and you can process it from there.

Note that he must be running under the TSO Session Manager (a component of TSO/E).
That requires a special logon proc (or cheating <g>.)

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

Quote:

> > Type "TSO HELP SMCOPY". SMCOPY can trap the inbound stream and copy it
> > to a file (temp or otherwise) and you can process it from there.

> Note that he must be running under the TSO Session Manager (a component of TSO/E).
> That requires a special logon proc (or cheating <g>.)

> --

I prefer cheating. Forgiveness is so much easier than permission.

mickey

Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX

2. OUTTRAPping the TPUT output in REXX -Reply

3. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

4. TPUT macro - help!

5. Using REXX output from ASSEMBLE.

6. Using REXX output from ASSEMBLE.

7. Output from REXX directed to an ASSEMBLER prog

8. VX-REXX... Display Output

9. Capturing Trace output ( OS/2 REXX )

10. Controlling printer output via OS/2 Rexx

11. Output of commands to REXX variables

12. piping input and output with OS/2 REXX