Rexx "compiler" for windows 
Author Message
 Rexx "compiler" for windows

Hey All,
   I've dabbled with Regina under Windows, I use Vispro under OS/2.
I've recently been working on a project that I might want to port to
Windows.  I've been looking at Mr Glatt's Reginald and Rexx Dialog, and
they look like a very compelling solution (I can't justify Dev Edition
of ORexx unless someone wants to let a copy go for cheap <smile>).  I
would like a compiler though, so that if I distribute my programs people
don't have to have rexx to use it.  Can I find one of these somewhere?
Google came up empty.

TIA,
Jason



Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:28:45 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows
As far as I know, your users will HAVE to have a Rexx interpreter on
their system to run any Rexx program.  The 2.1 Dev Edition of Object
Rexx does not have a 'compiler' - it has a tokenizer.  Included with
the 2.1 Dev Ed is a 'Run-Time' interpreter that can be freely
distributed.  I have written a complete auction house software
application that I've installed at several locations and have never
had a problem with the interpreter edition.  You might want to
re-consider what you can justify.  I know, a dollar is a dollar, but
if you're selling your product you should be able to recoop the cost.

Just my thoughts
Lee



Quote:
>Hey All,
>   I've dabbled with Regina under Windows, I use Vispro under OS/2.
>I've recently been working on a project that I might want to port to
>Windows.  I've been looking at Mr Glatt's Reginald and Rexx Dialog, and
>they look like a very compelling solution (I can't justify Dev Edition
>of ORexx unless someone wants to let a copy go for cheap <smile>).  I
>would like a compiler though, so that if I distribute my programs people
>don't have to have rexx to use it.  Can I find one of these somewhere?
>Google came up empty.

>TIA,
>Jason



Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:12:53 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows

Quote:

> As far as I know, your users will HAVE to have a Rexx interpreter on
> their system to run any Rexx program.  The 2.1 Dev Edition of Object
> Rexx does not have a 'compiler' - it has a tokenizer.

Yes, I understand that...why I put "compiler" in quotes.  But I cannot
find a runtime dll in the reginald package, otherwise I would think that
Mark's Rexx/wrapper would be good, yes?

Quote:
>  Included with
> the 2.1 Dev Ed is a 'Run-Time' interpreter that can be freely
> distributed.  I have written a complete auction house software
> application that I've installed at several locations and have never
> had a problem with the interpreter edition.  You might want to
> re-consider what you can justify.  I know, a dollar is a dollar, but
> if you're selling your product you should be able to recoop the cost.

Although I may, sometime in the future, do commercial stuff...right now
I'm talking about freeware and that's hard to justify >$100 for.

Quote:

> Just my thoughts

Thanks
Quote:
> Lee



>>Hey All,
>>  I've dabbled with Regina under Windows, I use Vispro under OS/2.
>>I've recently been working on a project that I might want to port to
>>Windows.  I've been looking at Mr Glatt's Reginald and Rexx Dialog, and
>>they look like a very compelling solution (I can't justify Dev Edition
>>of ORexx unless someone wants to let a copy go for cheap <smile>).  I
>>would like a compiler though, so that if I distribute my programs people
>>don't have to have rexx to use it.  Can I find one of these somewhere?
>>Google came up empty.

>>TIA,
>>Jason



Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:29:10 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows

Quote:


> >I cannot find a runtime dll in the reginald package

> ???

> Reginald is available *only* in a runtime DLL (named reginald.dll).
> When you install Reginald, that's what gets installed.

Where?  \windows\system?

Quote:

> >I would like a compiler though, so that if I distribute my programs people
> >don't have to have rexx to use it.

> How are you distributing your REXX script? Are you aware that Reginald
> offers a feature allowing you to create an auto-run CDROM where your
> REXX script is automatically run when the user pops the CDROM into his
> drive, even if REXX is not yet installed. (Reginald's script launcher
> is smart enough to know whether Reginald is installed, and will
> perform the install before attempting to run your script). With this
> feature, worrying about whether REXX is installed is a moot point
> since Reginald itself takes care of that. Your script does not need to
> concern itself with whether Reginald is installed.

That's pretty cool, but I'm just looking for something simple that joe
can download and click on to run.  Basically we're saying some exe with
a runtime i.e. what IBM ORexx does with distribution.

Quote:

> (The latest version of Reginald also takes care of installing function
> libraries such REXX Dialog.

Yes, I noticed that...much easier than messing with configurations and
stuff, very nice.
Quote:
> Again, your script should not need to
> worry about whether these are installed. Check the REXX Dialog manual
> page about creating an auto-run CDROM)



Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:44:58 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows

Quote:


>>I'm just looking for something simple that joe
>>can download and click on to run. Basically we're saying some exe with
>>a runtime i.e. what IBM ORexx does with distribution.

> Just about every Windows user (ie, simple joe) can click upon an icon
> to install software, or pop an autorun CDROM in his drive and have it
> automatically install the needed software. (If he can't do even that,
> the odds are very unlikely that he will be able to figure out how to
> download some file from a web site, and find it on his hard drive).
> Very few windows programs are shipped nowadays that don't utilize some
> sort of install. (Indeed, some users demand that software properly
> install itself, including having an uninstall option via Control
> Panel's Add/Remove Programs).

> Surely if you intend to distribute some sort of runtime DLL, (as well
> as additional function libraries such as REXX Dialog) along with your
> script then I presume that you're intending to distribute a ZIP
> archive of all needed files. In that case, you can put RXLAUNCH.EXE,
> REGINALD.EXE, and your script in the ZIP archive, and set the ZIP file
> to run RXLAUNCH.EXE, passing it the name of your script. RXLAUNCH.EXE
> will take care of installing REXX (and also REXX Dialog and other
> function libraries if you zip them up into a REXXDLLS directory)

Ok, Sounds great.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.


Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:08:00 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows

Quote:



> >>I'm just looking for something simple that joe
> >>can download and click on to run. Basically we're saying some exe with
> >>a runtime i.e. what IBM ORexx does with distribution.

> > Just about every Windows user (ie, simple joe) can click upon an icon
> > to install software, or pop an autorun CDROM in his drive and have it
> > automatically install the needed software. (If he can't do even that,
> > the odds are very unlikely that he will be able to figure out how to
> > download some file from a web site, and find it on his hard drive).
> > Very few windows programs are shipped nowadays that don't utilize some
> > sort of install. (Indeed, some users demand that software properly
> > install itself, including having an uninstall option via Control
> > Panel's Add/Remove Programs).

> > Surely if you intend to distribute some sort of runtime DLL, (as well
> > as additional function libraries such as REXX Dialog) along with your
> > script then I presume that you're intending to distribute a ZIP
> > archive of all needed files. In that case, you can put RXLAUNCH.EXE,
> > REGINALD.EXE, and your script in the ZIP archive, and set the ZIP file
> > to run RXLAUNCH.EXE, passing it the name of your script. RXLAUNCH.EXE
> > will take care of installing REXX (and also REXX Dialog and other
> > function libraries if you zip them up into a REXXDLLS directory)

> Ok, Sounds great.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Found an OS2 version REXX2EXE, found still on the hunt for a REXX2EXE x86
based.

If i find something, I shall let you know, if anyone here finds something
let me know as well.

Cheers
Jr.



Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:13:30 GMT  
 Rexx "compiler" for windows
hi

----- snip -----

Quote:

> Found an OS2 version REXX2EXE, found still on the hunt for a REXX2EXE x86
> based.

have a lookat: <http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm>
- the author of OS2 version REXX2EXE, but also programming for M$ & -ux.

--
good luck

peter



Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:22:10 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. S/W PD REXX "compilers/interpreters"

2. ANNOUNCE: "Compiler" 3.1 - Windows(R) *ONLY*

3. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

4. BEGIN{want[]={"s1o", "s2o", "s2q", "s3q"}

5. "Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

6. Looking for "stdin", "stdout"

7. ANNOUNCE: new "plus"- and "dash"-patches available for Tcl7.5a2/Tk4.1a2

8. beginners "let"/"random" question

9. Ruby "finalize", "__del__"

10. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

11. Parsing ""D""?

12. "DOS" commands in REXX under NT

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software