GMT Time
Author Message
 GMT Time

----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

Subject:    GMT Time

How does one find the GMT time using Rexx?

Kirk Moren
SHOWBBS

Append originating from the Function Test system.

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:13:51 GMT
 GMT Time
----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

How does once acquire the time using Rexx in
GMT format?  Thanks.

Kirk Moren
SHOWBBS

Append originating from the Function Test system.

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 23:17:08 GMT
 GMT Time
----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

How does one acquire the time using REXX in
GMT format?

Kirk Moren
SHOWBBS

Append originating from the Function Test system.

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:25:26 GMT
 GMT Time
----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

What is the best way using Rexx to acquire the time
in GMT format?  Thanks.

Kirk Moren
SHOWBBS

Append originating from the Function Test system.

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:24:06 GMT
 GMT Time

Quote:
> How does one find the GMT time using Rexx?

One doesn't.  There is no standard way to determine the offset from local
time to GMT.  One common way is to rely on the TZ environment variable (for
example TZ=est5edt) which gives the standard and Daylight Savings Time (DST)
abbreviations for the local timezone, and the GMT offset.  Given the offset,
you'd have to compute GMT yourself.  Remember to take into account when DST
is in effect, which is different in different countries (and also for
different date ranges, if you are dealing with historical data).

And all this depends on the user setting TZ on the machines your program is
running on, and that s/he set it correctly.

Tom Bridgman - Systems Engineering Services (OS/2)

Bitnet: MRTOM at YKTVMV    IBMMAIL:  USIB53B6

Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:55:29 GMT
 GMT Time
----------------------- Mail item text follows ---------------

What is the best way using REXX to get the time
in GMT format?

Kirk Moren
SHOWBBS

Append originating from the Function Test system.

Mon, 17 Mar 1997 23:43:43 GMT
 GMT Time

Quote:

>What is the best way using REXX to get the time
>in GMT format?

I don't think REXX even knows what a timezone is; the only way I can see
to get that information is to ask the operating system.  For example, in
Unix you can execute the command "date -u" and capture the output.

At least one of the Unix REXX interpreters can be fooled like this:

   call putenv "TZ=GMT"
   say time()

However, it is also the case that at least one of them cannot.

Ian Collier

Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:41:22 GMT
 GMT Time

Quote:

> I don't think REXX even knows what a timezone is; the only way I can see
> to get that information is to ask the operating system.  For example, in
> Unix you can execute the command "date -u" and capture the output.

> At least one of the Unix REXX interpreters can be fooled like this:
>    call putenv "TZ=GMT"
>    say time()
> However, it is also the case that at least one of them cannot.

That would depend on whether or not the REXX interpreter in question was
written with a compiler that supports the TZ env var (e.g., Microsoft), and
if the interpreter is using the compiler's library time functions.  In such
a case, this is not fooling REXX, it would be working as designed.  However,
the REXX language does not include any standard method of support for GMT.
Such things would be interpreter dependent.

Tom Bridgman - Systems Engineering Services (OS/2)

Bitnet: MRTOM at YKTVMV    IBMMAIL:  USIB53B6

Sat, 29 Mar 1997 02:34:27 GMT

1. GMT time vs. local time

2. gmt time again

3. Getting GMT time

4. GMT Time Conversion

5. UTC (GMT) time in VisualAge

6. UTC (GMT) time in VisualAge

7. gmt vs. labview daylight saving time XL

8. how to convert current time to gmt?

9. Converting time from GMT to another timezone

10. [tcl8.0p2] [clock format 0 -format %Z -gmt 1] != "GMT"

11. Bug in time.c (was Time.times problems)

12. time and scheduling (was: bug report: [ #447945 ] time.time() is not non-decreasing)