Watcom Support here and there...
Author Message
 Watcom Support here and there...

I have noticed that Watcom is closing down avenues of support
to developers. It's obvious that the 'new' motivation is the cost
of support by non-subsidizing (non-Compuserve or prepaid).

Watcom has even made the announcement that support is no
longer available thru the IBM Link based service. The forum
still exists, but Watcom has arrogantly decided that they want
the money first and to help developers that are willing to buy
answers for products still under development.

I recently saw a post on this newsgroup pointing a developer to
the OS/2 BBS IBM Link based Forum. Don't believe it...they have
left posts on that forum publicly stating they refuse to support
their products via the OS/2 BBS.

Watcom is making it obvious where there loyalty lies.

Mike Persell

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:53:31 GMT
 Watcom Support here and there...

[long, well-taken diatribe deleted]

Quote:
>Watcom is making it obvious where there loyalty lies.

It's really too bad.  Watcom has gone from being a charity supported by
UWaterloo to a cost-recovery business that treated the customer well
to a greedy money-slurping business that cares nothing for its users.

Another example:  They pay much too much for fulfillment.  I wrote them
and proposed that I would dramatically lower their costs (and allow them
to reflect reasonable charges to their customers).  Not even the courtesy
of a reply (thank you for your thoughtful letter, but...).

I guess it is time we take another look at VisPro and GPF.  I am afraid
Watcom's days are numbered.   Dave

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:27:56 GMT
 Watcom Support here and there...
Hello mikeper !

Replying to a message of mikeper to All:

 m>  * Organization: Internet Direct, indirect.com

 m> I have noticed that Watcom is closing down avenues of support
 m> to developers. It's obvious that the 'new' motivation is the cost
 m> of support by non-subsidizing (non-Compuserve or prepaid).

 m> Watcom has even made the announcement that support is no
 m> longer available thru the IBM Link based service. The forum
 m> still exists, but Watcom has arrogantly decided that they want
 m> the money first and to help developers that are willing to buy
 m> answers for products still under development.

This is definitely Wrong
---------------------------------Schnipp
schnapp--------------------------------
=============================== OS2HELP.VX-REXX
================================
   From: LNK9116 at HONE80                                   27 Jan 95
00:05:04
     To: All                                                 27 Jan 95
11:34:12
   Subj: Watcom is back...
Hello everyone, I'm back.  I would like to apologize for our absence over
the last month, but there were circumstances beyond our control.  At
the end of December IBM cut us (and many others apparently) off from
access to IBMLINK.  We were not told of this beforehand until one day
we couldn't download from the forum.  After several calls we finally
realized what happened (IBM wants everyone to pay for access) then
had to wait while a new account was set up, the appropriate legalese
was read and signed, and new software arrived.  (In my opinion, IBM
should have posted a warning message beforehand in all forums to
prevent this kind of mishap.)

There is a large backlog of questions to be answered, and I will try
to answer a few, but if possible could those of you who are still
looking for answers please repost your questions?  Like that I'll
know who is still stuck so I can give them priority.  Thanks!

Eric Giguere, Watcom

+++ VMGATE 8.4
 ! Origin: OS2HELP VM-GATEWAY (490:70/70)
---------------------------------Schnipp
schnapp--------------------------------

 m> I recently saw a post on this newsgroup pointing a developer to
 m> the OS/2 BBS IBM Link based Forum. Don't believe it...they have
 m> left posts on that forum publicly stating they refuse to support
 m> their products via the OS/2 BBS.

See above !

I don't like this approach of Watcom either, but what you write is not true!

The other thing is, that there is NO alternative package on the Market.
VisiPro an GPF handle both handle Rexx in a manner of a Rexx - enabled
Application.

All Rexx - Procedures are Isolated from each other. Therefore there is no
Global - Variable Handling.

What both packages offer for global Variables is unhandy und albeit slow !

You can't develop real big applications With GPF and Visipro.

The only Package so far, that has not this disadvantage, is DrDialog.
But it lacks too much of the Power of VX-Rexx.

This starts with the lack of object - abilities goes further to Things like
Events defined on the flow, over to Useful events Like the Gard - event on
Containers and ends up with powerful extensions and a powerful extensible
development environment !

I'm completing a Communications - Frontend now. This would have been impossible
to develop in C or with the other packages in my one - man's company due to a
lack of manpower !

 m> Watcom is making it obvious where there loyalty lies.

Yes they do, well knowing that they have the best Package on the market :-((

If there would be documentation in DrDialog, how to extend the Package, and if
the DrDialog Thread - handling would be more powerful (more than a
one_procedure_thread) this would change fast !

Now we have to wait for OOP - Rexx -which is still Vaporware- and hope that it
is as powerful as Vx-Rexx.

If this is the case I'll recode my applications !

--=={Regards Heinz Mueller [Team OS/2 int.]}==--

#! rnews 1314
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:51:05 +0000

Subject: REXX DLL problems with warp

Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx

Hello Giles !

Replying to a message of Giles Heron to All:

 GH>  * Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx,comp.os.os2.programmer.misc

 GH> Hi All

 GH> I have a Cset++ 2.1 DLL that would load successfully under OS/2 2.11 but
 GH> under warp it fails. The RxFuncAdd finishes with a return code of 0 but
 GH> the  call to the function gives error 43 function not found. The actual
 GH> code is

 GH> rc=RXFuncAdd('KSSLoadFuncs','KSSREXX','SYSLOADFUNCS')
 Well              ^^ this is the Registername and ^^^^ this is the Entrypoint
in the Dll Are you shure it exists in KSSREXX ???
If yes then the programmer should go back to school, using a entrypoint - name
which is the same as in Rexxutil :-(

--=={Regards Heinz Mueller [Team OS/2 int.]}==--

#! rnews 968
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:54:14 +0000

Subject: VX-Rexx V2.1b

Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx

Hello bjlockie !

Replying to a message of bjlockie to All:

 b>  * Organization: Northern Telecom

 b> How can I specify that the text for a push button is
 b> outside the button area. ie. above, below, left, right
 b> the button. How can I left,right,center justify the
 b> text inside a button.
You simply can't !

--=={Regards Heinz Mueller [Team OS/2 int.]}==--

#! rnews 1471
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:55:19 +0000

Subject: VX-Rexx v2.1a

Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx

Hello bjlockie !

Replying to a message of bjlockie to All:

 b>  * Organization: Northern Telecom

 b> I just wanted to comment on VX-Rexx v2.1a:
 b>
 b> When I SaveAs a project it prompts me for a file dialog 2 times.
 b> Is it supposed to do this? The first time it says "Save file as"
 b> The second says "Save project as".
 b>
 b> It looks like it is saving the window first and then the project.
 b> I've never seen an application that prompts the user with more
 b> than one file dialog. Is this a good idea?

Well it is, as the Project - Name (*.Vrp) can differ from the main code/window
filename !

--=={Regards Heinz Mueller [Team OS/2 int.]}==--

#! rnews 1408
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 10:57:18 +0000

Subject: VX-REXX 2.1B Can't drag from WE to Container

Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx

Hello Howard.Gilbert !

Replying to a message of Howard.Gilbert to All:

 H> Now start Web Explorer.  Display any page.  Drag the page over
 H> and try to drop it on the VX-REXX objects.  You can drop it on
 H> the MLE, and on the Entry field, but the Container will not
 H> accept it (you get the symbol that it is not in the Drag Target
 H> even though you specified "All").  If you get some Info on the
 H> event (from the DragDrop exit on the MLE) the thing being
 H> dragged seems to be a pretty regular sort of file.

It is a bug amongst others in container - handling !

I'm quarraling about half a year about the problem, that a Container in Detail
- view does not recognize a Font droped upon it.

I had to add popup - menues for fontdialogs in an application using 10
different containers, unneccesary code :-(((

--=={Regards Heinz Mueller [Team OS/2 int.]}==--

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:42:53 GMT

1. Watcom Support (was RE:Watcom on the net)

2. Watcom Support

3. WatCom Support NewsGroup

4. Who supports Watcom C/C++ 10.6

5. Open ltr to Watcom re: exorbitant (IMHO) tech support

6. Open ltr to Watcom re: exorbitant (IMHO) tech support charges

7. Dose Watcom FORTRAN 77 support Alpha-chip

8. Watcom F77 serial port support

9. Boston, MA - Technical Support Analysts - PC/Network Support - Financial Services

10. Boston, MA - Technical Support Analysts - PC/Network Support - Financial Services

11. Boston, MA - Technical Support Analysts - PC/Network Support - Financial Services

12. Does WATCOM have a email VX-REXX support address?