ORexx incompatability
Author Message
 ORexx incompatability

I recently installed ORexx in OS/2 and have noticed that many of my
programs have been bitten by the changes in the "stream" function.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to fix this
particular problem and whatever other compatability problems that have
been introduced in ORexx?  Maybe someone has a script to convert
classic rexx to ORexx or maybe a way to change rexx support on the
fly?

--
Ray

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ORexx incompatability

Quote:
>I recently installed ORexx in OS/2 and have noticed that many of my
>programs have been bitten by the changes in the "stream" function.

Can you be more specific?  I haven't noticed any differences in my
limited use of the stream function.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ORexx incompatability

Quote:

>>I recently installed ORexx in OS/2 and have noticed that many of my
>>programs have been bitten by the changes in the "stream" function.
>Can you be more specific?  I haven't noticed any differences in my
>limited use of the stream function.

Although the question was not addressed to me, I recently met an
example that others should be warned about.  The REXX program affected
by changes in stream is the install script for the "Animated Mouse
Pointer" program that is Stardock's current "freeware-or-shareware gem"
(or whatever they call it).  The install program fails halfway through
because a file is open for reading and writing and stream is called to
perform a seek.  In ORexx, this command *must* specify which pointer
is to perform the seek.  Since classic REXX uses a single pointer, it
was natural to use the simplest form of all stream commands.
--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math || Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ORexx incompatability

Quote:

> I recently installed ORexx in OS/2 and have noticed that many of my
> programs have been bitten by the changes in the "stream" function.
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to fix this
> particular problem and whatever other compatability problems that have
> been introduced in ORexx?  Maybe someone has a script to convert
> classic rexx to ORexx or maybe a way to change rexx support on the
> fly?

> --
> Ray

Ray,
What problems have you encountered? With two programmers working on the
same system in my office, we alternatley used the Classic REXX streams
and Object REXX stream class and had no problems.

We changed everything to the Object REXX stream class for consistency's
sake, but still had no problems.

Will Trosky
co-author Object REXX by Example

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ORexx incompatability

Quote:
>Ray,
>What problems have you encountered? With two programmers working on the
>same system in my office, we alternatley used the Classic REXX streams
>and Object REXX stream class and had no problems.

>We changed everything to the Object REXX stream class for consistency's
>sake, but still had no problems.

I have several scripts that do things like:

x=stream(file_name,'c','open')
y=stream(file_name,'c','seek +5')

This causes error messages in ORexx because it expects "read" or
"write" after the 'seek +1'.  I guess I could create a small script to
parse all of my other scripts and fix them.  Since I ran into this one
immediatly, I need to find out what other similar 'gotchas' are
waiting for me so I can take care of them in one shot.

As an aside, I've also noticed that ORexx seems much slower on my
system.  I wrote a rexx program to work with my voice modem and under
ORexx it can barely keep up while recording and the whole system
slows down.  After a while (say a couple of days and 15 or so
messages) it seems that my swap file is growing as well.  Neither of
these things happened under classic Rexx.

I had hoped that by now, someone might have created some sort of
Object Rexx optomizer/converter to help make the transition for older
programs.

If you have any suggestions please let me know since I'd really like
to learn Object Rexx if I can keep my old programs working.

--
Ray

Thu, 12 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Incompatability with 386/486 computers

2. FPT incompatability

3. Incompatability of NI-DAQ 6.9.1 and 6.1.1

4. Oberon incompatability on the Mac

5. Compiler incompatability #2

6. WIN98 DOS shell incompatability

7. tk4.0 incompatability?

8. Common Recent Updates - ORexx 2.1.2 on Win32 and 2.2 on Linux

9. Converting in-line OREXX comments

10. IBM ORexx clearing arrays?

11. IBM's OREXX 1.2 and RH 7.3

12. ORexx 2.1.2 SysToUnicode not working