Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx
Author Message
 Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

Can someone remind me of what (if any) code, statements, library calls,
etc., will not work under Object Rexx yet work correctly under Classic
Rexx.  (Leaving aside those situations where sloppy programmers have
written bad code that never happens to run, and thus remains undetected
in Classic, but is spotted by the full syntactic checks of ORexx.)

--

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:50:52 GMT
 Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

Quote:

> Can someone remind me of what (if any) code, statements, library calls,
> etc., will not work under Object Rexx yet work correctly under Classic
> Rexx.  (Leaving aside those situations where sloppy programmers have
> written bad code that never happens to run, and thus remains undetected
> in Classic, but is spotted by the full syntactic checks of ORexx.)

SetSockOpt in rxsock.dll is broken in the OS/2 version of Object
REXX.

Dimitris Michelanikis has a support contract and reported the bug to
IBM. Apparently, they are going to fix it in a future fixpack...
which I hope will come out soon.

Regards,

Jack

* Jack Troughton              jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* http://jakesplace.dhs.org     ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org *

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:44:51 GMT
 Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx
I am not aware of any code, statements or library calls that will not
work under Object Rexx.  I HAVE had a problem using an external function
package under (OS/2) Object Rexx that worked correctly under Classic
Rexx but the level of Object Rexx was never updated with any fixpacks so
that may have been the problem.

Gil Barmwater

Quote:

> Can someone remind me of what (if any) code, statements, library calls,
> etc., will not work under Object Rexx yet work correctly under Classic
> Rexx.  (Leaving aside those situations where sloppy programmers have
> written bad code that never happens to run, and thus remains undetected
> in Classic, but is spotted by the full syntactic checks of ORexx.)

> --

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:03:03 GMT
 Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

Quote:
> I am not aware of any code, statements or library calls that will not
> work under Object Rexx.  I HAVE had a problem using an external function
> package under (OS/2) Object Rexx that worked correctly under Classic
> Rexx but the level of Object Rexx was never updated with any fixpacks so
> that may have been the problem.

Ah yes, I had one of those problems too; apparently, Classic Rexx passes
parameters to DLLs using call by value, whereas ORexx uses call by
reference (or maybe even call by name).  It produced some *very* peculiar
results with RxDate v2.0, but the author quickly provided me with a v2.1
(which should be on Hobbes, etc., by now).

(Basically, the author, treating the parameter as call by value, was
altering it for local storage within the function.  This had somewhat
deleterious effects upon the actual parameter, especially when that was a
literal:-)

--

    "We have gone from a world of concentrated knowledge and wisdom to one of
    distributed ignorance.  And we know and understand less while being incr-

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:50:49 GMT

1. Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

2. Classic REXX, Object REXX

3. Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

4. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx

5. Object Rexx vs Rexx

6. Rexx Macro Space on Classic OS/2 Rexx

7. ORexx vs. Classic REXX and operator overloading

8. Difference in OS/2 Classic/Object REXX Read Only

9. Timings for classic v Object Rexx

10. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

11. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

12. mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx