Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS
Author Message
 Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

You wrote

Quote:
>>Does anyone have an example of an EXEC which invokes a COBOL object?
>>I have an COBOL object the is invoked in a number of COBOL programs as:
>> CALL MM88992X  USING THIS-WRK-VALUE.

To do the call from within TSO/E REXX you should take a look at the
"LINKPGM" and "ATTACHPGM" host environments in the IBM REXX manuals.
Sorry, currently I don't have an example online, tell me if you would need
one (but check the manual first ...)

Best regards

Wolfgang

Fri, 10 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

how can i get regular-expression pattern matching support
such as i'm used to with unix/perl using mvs/rexx

thank,
  thomas

--
Thomas Dunbar  540 231-3938
http://gserver.grads.vt.edu/tgdhome.html

Sun, 12 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:01:35 -0400, Thomas Dunbar

Quote:

>how can i get regular-expression pattern matching support
>such as i'm used to with unix/perl using mvs/rexx

>thank,
>  thomas

>--
>Thomas Dunbar  540 231-3938
>http://gserver.grads.vt.edu/tgdhome.html

I don't think you can, short of writing your own function package.
Regular expression pattern matching should be a built in part of
REXX's PARSE instruction, but it isn't, probably because it would
involve the use of "cryptic symbols", so I doubt that it will ever be.
If PARSE had that,  or even just "*" and "?" wildcard pattern
matching, it wouldn't be just a great programming language, it would
be an _unbeatable_ programming language.

Regards,

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed
by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you
will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high
to pay for the priviledge of owning yourself.      << Rudyard Kipling >>

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

Quote:
>On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:01:35 -0400, Thomas Dunbar

>>how can i get regular-expression pattern matching support
>>such as i'm used to with unix/perl using mvs/rexx

>>thank,
>>  thomas

>>--
>>Thomas Dunbar  540 231-3938
>> http://www.*-*-*.com/

The easiest way is to download GNU GREP and write Rexx programs
which essentially are stdin/stdout filters.  It's not built into Rexx.
Rexxlib from Quercus has a builtin Grep function.  Their page is
www.quercus-sys.com I believe.  However Rexx has enough built in
functions so with a little coding it can match any given regular
expression on a case by case basis.  Give me a Rexx program anyday
over a convoluted redundant re.

---
Jim
{*filter*}Net Connections

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Call "COBOL" program from REXX MVS

NIH Wylbur managed to provide regular expressions without cryptic
symbols, as did languages derived from SNOBOL 4, e.g., ICON.

Quote:

> I don't think you can, short of writing your own function package.
> Regular expression pattern matching should be a built in part of
> REXX's PARSE instruction, but it isn't, probably because it would
> involve the use of "cryptic symbols", so I doubt that it will ever be.
> If PARSE had that,  or even just "*" and "?" wildcard pattern
> matching, it wouldn't be just a great programming language, it would
> be an _unbeatable_ programming language.

> Regards,

> The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed
> by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you
> will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high
> to pay for the priviledge of owning yourself.      << Rudyard Kipling >>

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,
user smetz.

Fri, 17 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can REXX "beep" in MVS/TSO

2. IBM's "COBOL for MVS"

3. Calling "net send" from VX-Rexx

4. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program

5. REXX source "pretty printer" program

6. VA COBOL "CALL" performance problem

7. the "CALL" function in cobol

8. Call HLASM program from COBOL MVS program

9. MF Cobol CALL X"F5"

10. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

11. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

12. LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"