MVS REXX - Looking for Pointer to Data Area IWMRQRY Answer Area
Author Message
 MVS REXX - Looking for Pointer to Data Area IWMRQRY Answer Area

I'm working on building an MVS REXX utility for our shop.  We recently
switched to WLM Goal mode from compatability mode.  In the past, our
operations dept. was able to monitor batch job performance groups from
Classic Omegamon.  With the change to service classes, Omegamon
Classic no longer provides one panel where we can monitor the service
level of each batch job running.  I want to build an ispf panel to
display a list of all active batch jobs along with their service class
name.  It looks like the data area I need to go to in order to find
the service class is the IWMRQRY Answer Area.  I found this data area
by searching: http://www.*-*-*.com/
The document stated that the IWMRQRY Answer Area is pointed to by the
ANSAREA_ADDR field in the IWMRQRY parameter list.  I am pretty new to
maneuvering around in System storage.  Could anyone assist me in
learning how to find this location in memory?

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:43:54 GMT
 MVS REXX - Looking for Pointer to Data Area IWMRQRY Answer Area

Quote:

> I'm working on building an MVS REXX utility for our shop.  We recently
> switched to WLM Goal mode from compatability mode.  In the past, our
> operations dept. was able to monitor batch job performance groups from
> Classic Omegamon.  With the change to service classes, Omegamon
> Classic no longer provides one panel where we can monitor the service
> level of each batch job running.  I want to build an ispf panel to
> display a list of all active batch jobs along with their service class
> name.  It looks like the data area I need to go to in order to find
> the service class is the IWMRQRY Answer Area.  I found this data area
> by searching: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/iea1d342.pdf
> The document stated that the IWMRQRY Answer Area is pointed to by the
> ANSAREA_ADDR field in the IWMRQRY parameter list.  I am pretty new to
> maneuvering around in System storage.  Could anyone assist me in
> learning how to find this location in memory?

Without actually looking this up, I'm pretty certain you won't be able
to find it as this is an answer area, which implies *you* need to ask a
question first. Also without actually looking it up, try taking a look
at SDSF and see if it does what you are looking for already.

Graham.

--
*-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:34:34 GMT
 MVS REXX - Looking for Pointer to Data Area IWMRQRY Answer Area

Quote:

>> I'm working on building an MVS REXX utility for our shop.  We recently
>> switched to WLM Goal mode from compatability mode.  In the past, our
>> operations dept. was able to monitor batch job performance groups from
>> Classic Omegamon.  With the change to service classes, Omegamon
>> Classic no longer provides one panel where we can monitor the service
>> level of each batch job running.  I want to build an ispf panel to
>> display a list of all active batch jobs along with their service class
>> name.  It looks like the data area I need to go to in order to find
>> the service class is the IWMRQRY Answer Area.  I found this data area
>> by searching: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/iea1d342.pdf
>> The document stated that the IWMRQRY Answer Area is pointed to by the
>> ANSAREA_ADDR field in the IWMRQRY parameter list.  I am pretty new to
>> maneuvering around in System storage.  Could anyone assist me in
>> learning how to find this location in memory?

> Without actually looking this up, I'm pretty certain you won't be able
> to find it as this is an answer area, which implies *you* need to ask a
> question first.

Now I have looked it up here
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/iea2w231/8...
and it appears I was right. You actually have to ask the question, it's
not just lying around in memory waiting for you to pick it up. So,
you'll need to write an assembler program to use the IWMRQRY service to
extract WLM data you are after, then put it in REXX variables - or
directly in  ISPF variables. I'm not at all sure you're going to get the
information you are looking for this way, and if you do I'm not sure how
useful it will really be. I think you need to let go of the idea of
monitoring performance groups and start thinking in terms of workloads.
(Boulder seems to have gone down, so I can't check anything else at the
moment.)

Graham.

--
*-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:59:13 GMT

1. MVS data areas

2. New Area Code for Scranton area (APL99)

3. Chicago area Midwest Area Micro Focus Users Group

4. DC Area - MVS/Web Programming Project

5. US-MA Boston Area Contract Position: Cobol-Cobol II-DB2-MVS/JCL

6. US - NC - Charlotte Area Project Leader MVS COBOL Adabase Natural

7. US - NC - Charlotte Area Project Leader MVS COBOL Adabase Natural

8. COBOL DEVELOPER - MVS - TOP GUN NEEDED - WASH, DC AREA

9. US-MA-Chelmsford Area JCL MVS Cobol

10. IBM MF, MVS, CICS, COBOL, VSAM position available in Research Triangle Park area

11. Area code change data source

12. Internal data areas