Vx-Rexx Slow With Containers
Author Message
 Vx-Rexx Slow With Containers

In a note of Wed, 5 Oct 1994 15:37:04 GMT MSG.10.HTIME

Quote:

> container has a large number of records, say over 1000, it takes
> several seconds for the call

>     ok = VRMethod("CN_1", "GetRecordList", "SourceOrSelected",
"handle.")

> to return the currently cursored/selected record(s).

                    --x--< End quote >--x--

I've already wrote such program (but it is for internal
italian BBS mail/news) and have the same problem.

Another problem is when in this container you select 100 or more
records and try to call the context menu depressing RMB.

You have to wait at least 10 - 15 seconds (on a 486/66Mhz) !!!

S.I.A.E.  (Societa' Italiana Autori Editori)
S.S.I.    (Servizio Sistemi Informativi)

 ___

Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:43:11 GMT
 Vx-Rexx Slow With Containers

:

Quote:
>I've already wrote such program (but it is for internal
>italian BBS mail/news) and have the same problem.

>Another problem is when in this container you select 100 or more
>records and try to call the context menu depressing RMB.

>You have to wait at least 10 - 15 seconds (on a 486/66Mhz) !!!

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a quick answer.  The real problem is in
the container control, not in VX-REXX.  Try opening a window from your Drives
folder on a directory that contains 100 or more files.  I think you'll see
that Watcom can't do too much!

Thomas Koschate           I do speak for my employer - me!

Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:41:08 GMT
 Vx-Rexx Slow With Containers

Quote:

>:
>I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a quick answer.  The real problem is in
>the container control, not in VX-REXX.  Try opening a window from your Drives
>folder on a directory that contains 100 or more files.  I think you'll see
>that Watcom can't do too much!

That is exactly right.  The solution is in client/server technology.  The
container (the client) should only contain the information it needs, the
information the user is looking at.  Where should the rest be?  In the
server half of the client/server solution.  DB2/2 or Watcom SQL are good
choices.  You can also use any ODBC database.  The VX-REXX Client/server
kit will allow this kind of client/server setup.

Paul Prescod

Sun, 30 Mar 1997 10:04:22 GMT

1. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

2. VX-REXX Container Help

3. Drag/Drop from VX-REXX container to WPSHELL?

4. VX-Rexx: Can a program scroll a container?

5. VX-REXX 2.1B Can't drag from WE to Container

6. Large number of records in VX-REXX container

7. Vx-Rexx Containers And Visibi

8. Vx-Rexx Containers

9. Prob. updating container view in VX-REXX

10. VXREXX & Bound containers

11. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

12. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17