Is there a compiler for REXX?
Author Message
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

Peter

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

>Is there a compiler for REXX?
>Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
variables are strings.

I know there was someone who had begun writing a compiler, but stopped when
he found that the interpreted version was faster.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone' to send e-mail.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?
Rexx Tips and Tricks 2.8 has notes on several "compilers."  I am testing
one (RXCLS.EXE) now and so far am quite satisfied.

As noted in Tips and Tricks, these do not actually compile the code,
rather a stub (whatever that may be) is created that then causes the
interpreter to execute.  Of course this is also the function of the
"Build" operation in VisProRexx, at least I strongly suspect it is the
same.

Doug Rickman

Quote:

> Is there a compiler for REXX?
> Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

> Peter

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

>Is there a compiler for REXX?
>Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

Yup.  Try http://www.os2ss.com/ as a place to start.

RCW

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

> None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
> There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
> variables are strings.

> I know there was someone who had begun writing a compiler, but stopped when
> he found that the interpreted version was faster.

There are several compilers for REXX, and there was an article in the
IBM Systems Journal about one of them. However, the generated code does
require access to an extensive run-time library.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

>>Is there a compiler for REXX?
>>Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

>None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
>There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
>variables are strings.

There is (was?) one for CMS but can't resolve INTERPRET without a Crystal Ball
:-)

John Godwin

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

>> None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
>> There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
>> variables are strings.

>> I know there was someone who had begun writing a compiler, but stopped when
>> he found that the interpreted version was faster.

>There are several compilers for REXX, and there was an article in the
>IBM Systems Journal about one of them. However, the generated code does
>require access to an extensive run-time library.

Which hardly makes them stand-alone executables.  What's the name of the one
you read about?

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone' to send e-mail.

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

> Which hardly makes them stand-alone executables.

Quite far from stand-alone.

Quote:
> What's the name of the one
> you read about?

REXX/370 Compiler and Library; also REXX for CICS. There are products
for both MVS and VM. I'm not sure whether the compiler written up in the
IBM Systems Journal was one of the production compilers or a prototype
for them.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

> There is (was?) one for CMS but can't resolve INTERPRET without a Crystal Ball
> :-)

The current REXX/370 compiler for MVS can handle interpret; I don't know about the current VM version.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

> >>Is there a compiler for REXX?
> >>Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

> >None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
> >There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
> >variables are strings.

> There is (was?) one for CMS but can't resolve INTERPRET without a Crystal Ball
> :-)

> John Godwin

There is one for Amiga rexx as well and it speeds up applications quite a lot (3x-5x)
and they can be run without the rexxmast interpreter running but the downside is you
can use INTERPRET and the size of the application balloons quite a bit. A 12k script
turns into a 70K exe.

Grant

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  Grant           ___        _         __      __             Richland,WA |
| McWilliams      / _ \ _ __ (_)__ _ __ \ \    / /_ _ _ _ ___  in Spring98 |
|                |  _  | '  \| / _` / _` \ \/\/ / _` | '_/ -_) Kennewick,WA|
|                |_| |_|_|_|_|_\__, \__,_|\_/\_/\__,_|_| \___|             |
|Providing the original and best|___/  solution to professional multimedia_|

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

>>>Is there a compiler for REXX?
>>>Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?

>>None that I know of.  The language itself is not conducive to compilation.
>>There are too many run-time issues, caused mainly by the fact that all
>>variables are strings.

>There is (was?) one for CMS but can't resolve INTERPRET without a Crystal Ball
>:-)

>John Godwin

IBM's REXX compiler is alive and well and handles INTERPRET just fine, and has
done so for quite a few years (I use it every day on VM/CMS).   The very first
release of the compiler didn't do INTERPRET, but that was quickly rectified in
the next release.

-- Gary Richtmeyer

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:
>The current REXX/370 compiler for MVS can handle interpret; I don't know about
> the current VM version.

Last time I used the VM version, it didn't include the source into the
executable and used C runtime libraries.  Several restrictions, including
non-use of INTERPRET .. dunno about lately.

John Godwin

Wed, 02 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?
Where can I find Rexx complier on www??

Thanks!!

Thu, 03 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

}Is there a compiler for REXX?
}Can REXX be used to create 100% stand alone .exe files?
}
}Peter

I have written a pretty good free "compiler" for OS/2 but its not stand alone
(it requires the OS/2 rexx support) but this should not be an issue.  It can
compress and encrypt and has many generation options.  It really depends on
what you are trying to do.  Mine can certainly make your code absolutely tamper
proof.  It even does a CRC check before executing the code.

Bye

--------------------------------
Dennis Bareis
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

HomePage: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dbareis
          - Contains heaps of FREE OS/2, DOS & WIN32 programs.
          - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
          - Some source code and programmers links.  Regina Information (including porting from OS/2)
          - Examples of the freeware (you won't find it elsewhere):
            * PPWIZARD (HTML/REXX/generic preprocessor - #define, #include, #import, #if)
              You WILL NOT find an easier to use or more powerful preprocessor than PPWIZARD.
              So far everyone who has said "PPWIZARD can't do this" has been wrong!
            * Icon for single OS/2 archive on following boot
            * REXX compiler
            * PM/Program manipulation by Window or Switch list title
            * Prevent a floppy in drive stopping boot off hard disk
            * About 20 more...
--------------------------------

Fri, 04 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a compiler for REXX?

Quote:

> Last time I used the VM version, it didn't include the source into the
> executable and used C runtime libraries.  Several restrictions, including
> non-use of INTERPRET .. dunno about lately.

The current version includes the source (by option), does
not depend on the C runtime libraries and does support
the INTERPRET statement.

Matti

Matti Gr?nroos, WKL a.p.r. -- http://www.iki.fi/mjg

Sat, 05 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. REXX Compiler for VisPro/REXX

2. I am looking for a Mac f77 compiler - for free of course :)

3. i am looking for f90 compiler

4. I am having compiler problems with MS FORTRAN 3.31

5. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

6. REXX in WINDOWS/REXX Add-ins/VISUAL REXX ????

7. Wonders of IBM's REXX compiler

8. REXX compiler or syntax checker for IBM PC??

9. OS2 REXX Compiler

10. REXX 'compiler'

11. Rexx "compiler" for windows

12. Will there be an OO-Rexx compiler?