named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?
Author Message
 named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?

Can anyone identify options for adding named pipes functionality
to object rexx under win2000 server?

Thanks,

Tim Stephen
CIOS

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:11:26 GMT
 named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?
Do you mean pipes as in NetView pipes?

Quote:
> Can anyone identify options for adding named pipes functionality
> to object rexx under win2000 server?

> Thanks,

> Tim Stephen
> CIOS

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:35:52 GMT
 named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?
If you mean Win32 named pipes, they're already supported natively through
the I/O features of REXX (just use the stream name \\Server\PIPE\pipename,
with \\.\PIPE\pipename for the local machine); in addition, can also wait on
a pipe by using the RexxUtil function SysWaitNamedPipe.

The only obvious omission I can think of is CallNamedPipe /
TransactNamedPipe.

Quote:
> Can anyone identify options for adding named pipes functionality
> to object rexx under win2000 server?

> Thanks,

> Tim Stephen
> CIOS

Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:59:33 GMT
 named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?

% If you mean Win32 named pipes, they're already supported natively through
% the I/O features of REXX (just use the stream name \\Server\PIPE\pipename,
% with \\.\PIPE\pipename for the local machine); in addition, can also wait on
% a pipe by using the RexxUtil function SysWaitNamedPipe.

Can you give an example of this? So far as I've been able to do it, you
need to create the named pipe (i.e., with another program) before you
can open it using normal I/O routines.

On the same note, could someone explain precisely what
SysWaitNamedPipe() does in object rexx? My NT implementation for Regina
simply calls WaitNamedPipe(), which I believe waits for pipe creation.
My Unix implementation waits for data to appear on the pipe, which seems
more useful, but is probably incorrect.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:51:48 GMT
 named pipes under Win2000 object rexx?
AFAIK:
1. you are correct that you cannot code the server side of the named pipe
using the REXX pipe support in native I/O,
2. the OO-REXX SysWaitNamedPipe is a wrapper for the NT (W2K, XP)
WaitNamedPipe API, as is yours.

Quote:

> % If you mean Win32 named pipes, they're already supported natively
through
> % the I/O features of REXX (just use the stream name

\\Server\PIPE\pipename,
Quote:
> % with \\.\PIPE\pipename for the local machine); in addition, can also
wait on
> % a pipe by using the RexxUtil function SysWaitNamedPipe.

> Can you give an example of this? So far as I've been able to do it, you
> need to create the named pipe (i.e., with another program) before you
> can open it using normal I/O routines.

> On the same note, could someone explain precisely what
> SysWaitNamedPipe() does in object rexx? My NT implementation for Regina
> simply calls WaitNamedPipe(), which I believe waits for pipe creation.
> My Unix implementation waits for data to appear on the pipe, which seems
> more useful, but is probably incorrect.
> --

> Patrick TJ McPhee
> East York  Canada

Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:53:08 GMT

1. named pipe Object REXX or REXX

2. Named Pipes in REXX

3. REXX: Named Pipe

4. q: named pipes & rexx

5. REXX and Named Pipes

6. named pipe in REXX?

7. Problems with Named Pipes in Rexx/2

8. Named Pipes - Rexx (Os/2

9. NAMED PIPES - REXX (OS/2)

10. Named Pipes in REXX

11. Object REXX: pipe-example and .stem class ?

12. Object-Rexx Pipe