say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
Author Message
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

Thanks in advance,

David

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
Nope. *IF* there were the CHARIO functions available on TSO/REXX,
you would be able to do this. But not as long as it uses PUTLINE/GETLINE
to obtain the input.

If you really need something like that, then convert the program to CLIST
and use WRITENR (Just kidding).

Quote:

>We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
>ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
>line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
>line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

>Thanks in advance,

>David

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:

> If you really need something like that, then convert the program to CLIST
> and use WRITENR (Just kidding).

This isn't all that silly: if you really need to do this, then using a
CLIST just to do the prompting might be the answer. You may end up
having to do something ugly like transferring the answer back via a
file, but it can be made to work.

Graham.

--
*-* Erase "spam_free_" from address to reply *-*

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:

> We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
> ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
> line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
> line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

In Neil Hancocks "FAQ for TSO/REXX" at
http://www.uberfish.freeserve.co.uk/Computers/rexxfaq.html#RTFToC12
you can find links to assembler source for a freeware utility XWRITENR,
which should replicate the WRITENR statement from CLIST.

It seems to do what you want.

Regards, Johnnie

--
For more TSO REXX related links, check the Open Directory Project page:
  http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Rexx/S390/
  http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Rexx/

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:

>We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
>ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
>line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
>line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

'say x' is the same as 'call lineout "stdout",x".

If you don't want the linefeed, then you need to use charout(), as in 'call
charout "stdout",x', which will leave the cursor immediately after the
contents of 'x' are displayed.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
Yes, except that there are no CHARIO/LINEIO functions in TSO/REXX.
Quote:

>>We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
>>ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
>>line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
>>line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

>'say x' is the same as 'call lineout "stdout",x".

>If you don't want the linefeed, then you need to use charout(), as in 'call
>charout "stdout",x', which will leave the cursor immediately after the
>contents of 'x' are displayed.

>--
> - Mike

>Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
In article

Quote:

> >We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
> >ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY
> >ABCDE line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on
> >the next line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)
> 'say x' is the same as 'call lineout "stdout",x".
> If you don't want the linefeed, then you need to use charout(), as in
> 'call charout "stdout",x', which will leave the cursor immediately
> after the contents of 'x' are displayed.

How would *YOU* do that in TSO, then?  Or indeed any other 3270-type
system?

Quote:
> --
>  - Mike
> Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:30:01 -0800, Graham Norris

Quote:

>> If you really need something like that, then convert the program to CLIST
>> and use WRITENR (Just kidding).

>This isn't all that silly: if you really need to do this, then using a
>CLIST just to do the prompting might be the answer. You may end up
>having to do something ugly like transferring the answer back via a
>file, but it can be made to work.

Let's see.....   this is the 611,342nd time that question has been

Frank Clarke
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:
> We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
> ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
> line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
> line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

Let ISPF do the 3270 screen I/O for you.

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:
>In article

>> >We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
>> >ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY
>> >ABCDE line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on
>> >the next line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)

>> 'say x' is the same as 'call lineout "stdout",x".

>> If you don't want the linefeed, then you need to use charout(), as in
>> 'call charout "stdout",x', which will leave the cursor immediately
>> after the contents of 'x' are displayed.

>How would *YOU* do that in TSO, then?  Or indeed any other 3270-type
>system?

I wouldn't.  I noticed after I had sent it that TSO REXX is broken with
respect to character output.

I don't have a mainframe lying around, so I can't check which parts of REXX
aren't implemented on them.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Use charout() instead of Say.
Example:
   Call charout , 'Please enter data:'
   Pull Answer

Note comma after charout, that means use 'STDIN' ( keyboard ).

                       William Estrada

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:48:34 -0500, "Herman Stocker"

Quote:

>> We're trying to issue a SAY ABCDE on TSO REXX, followed by a PULL
>> ANSWER, and we'd like to be able to leave the cursor after the SAY ABCDE
>> line.  Is there a way to do this?  I keep getting the cursor on the next
>> line! (functional, but not as visually appealing)
>Let ISPF do the 3270 screen I/O for you.

Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?

Quote:

> Use charout() instead of Say.
> Example:
>    Call charout , 'Please enter data:'
>    Pull Answer

> Note comma after charout, that means use 'STDIN' ( keyboard ).

Yes, someone else suggested using this function which doesn't exist on
TSO. MVS isn't a byte oriented system, it is a record oriented system,
so it isn't possible to implement charin or charout under TSO.

Graham.

--
*-* Erase "spam_free_" from address to reply *-*

Fri, 07 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 say/pull combo leaving cursor after say?
Great solution.
Will it work on MVS ?

Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. I say 2 you say 1

2. SAY and PULL

3. Help With map() *He says while pulling his hair out*

4. How to parse "I say: 'I love you'" to [I, say, I love you]

5. Seek way to go from, say AV(y), to double e[][]

6. Spook SAYS HELLO?

7. Something forgotten to say about TRACE problem...

8. Smalltalk vs Java, OBJS says Java wins.

9. ..^^SAY A PRAYER FOR THE INNOCENT VICTIMS OF BLACK VIOLENCE AND LAWLESSNESS!...^^^

10. Marketing Millionaire says, FREE AT LAST

11. Did somebody say...margaritas?

12. FYI: ObjectShare says it dropped from Nasdaq