Classic REXX, Object REXX
Author Message
 Classic REXX, Object REXX

        I'm just learing classic REXX.  I've bought & read a few books on classic REXX
and one book on Object REXX.  I want to start learning by writing a program that
will gather information & perform some calculations to help me prepare my tax
return.

        Although I want to learn Object REXX, possibly later on, I find it somewhat
complicated; just can't seem to grasp the concepts.
In any event, it's my feeling that classic REXX would be better suited for the
tax return program than Object REXX.

        Is this correct?  Or, am I way off the mark?  Any guidance is greatly
appreciated.

FWK

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 07:55:41 GMT
 Classic REXX, Object REXX
1) You don't have to take advantage of the OO aspects of ORexx to use it.

2) You can do various levels of OO in ORexx. Personally I only lump functions  together
which serve a common purpose and call it a class / object. As well, I do some data hiding
- that is, one method of the class may read in data, another may process it, and a third
may export it. All the time, that data can not be directly accessed by other parts of the
program, you call a method of the object to get or set the data.

3) The math part might be a bit interesting. Rexx is "String Heaven"! It does numbers, but
there are various rounding things that come into play. Simple addition and subtraction
should always be fine. I think a loan calculator might be a bit hard to build in Rexx.

4) And since the RexxLA Symposium is coming up, I'll put in a plug for that too! If you
are hoping to build a tool that is a bit like a database to store data into, or maybe a
program to read in text files of one format and change the data around to be in another
format my ObjectCUR classes make text file I/O work a snap.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:28:31 GMT
 Classic REXX, Object REXX
I too have had problems in grasping the 'concept' of Object Oriented
programming (teaching an old dog new tricks); however, like Michael, I
mix both structured programming and OO programming into my code.  I've
a simple little program that I wrote to track this year's Symposium
registrations that is a good example of what I'm talking about.  My
hope is to get someone at the Symposium to take this code and write
the same program using as much OO as possible.  It combines Object
Oriented code, OLE, OODialog, and plain ole classic code.  Any takers?

Lee

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:28:31 -0500, Michael Lueck

Quote:

>1) You don't have to take advantage of the OO aspects of ORexx to use it.

>2) You can do various levels of OO in ORexx. Personally I only lump functions  together
>which serve a common purpose and call it a class / object. As well, I do some data hiding
>- that is, one method of the class may read in data, another may process it, and a third
>may export it. All the time, that data can not be directly accessed by other parts of the
>program, you call a method of the object to get or set the data.

>3) The math part might be a bit interesting. Rexx is "String Heaven"! It does numbers, but
>there are various rounding things that come into play. Simple addition and subtraction
>should always be fine. I think a loan calculator might be a bit hard to build in Rexx.

>4) And since the RexxLA Symposium is coming up, I'll put in a plug for that too! If you
>are hoping to build a tool that is a bit like a database to store data into, or maybe a
>program to read in text files of one format and change the data around to be in another
>format my ObjectCUR classes make text file I/O work a snap.

>--
>Michael Lueck
>Lueck Data Systems

>Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:45:59 GMT
 Classic REXX, Object REXX
Just use the non-object part of objrexx if you are dealing w/ PC stuff.
bobh
Quote:

>         I'm just learing classic REXX.  I've bought & read a few books on classic REXX
> and one book on Object REXX.  I want to start learning by writing a program that
> will gather information & perform some calculations to help me prepare my tax
> return.

>         Although I want to learn Object REXX, possibly later on, I find it somewhat
> complicated; just can't seem to grasp the concepts.
> In any event, it's my feeling that classic REXX would be better suited for the
> tax return program than Object REXX.

>         Is this correct?  Or, am I way off the mark?  Any guidance is greatly
> appreciated.

> FWK

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:16:57 GMT
 Classic REXX, Object REXX

Quote:
> 3) The math part might be a bit interesting. Rexx is "String Heaven"! It does numbers, but
> there are various rounding things that come into play. Simple addition and subtraction
> should always be fine. I think a loan calculator might be a bit hard to build in Rexx.

        Don't know how sophisticated a loan calculator you're referring to, but I wrote
one in classic REXX.  It just figures a monthly payment & prints a loan
reduction to the screen.  Wasn't too hard.  It was the first thing I did after
the reading the books - isn't the prettiest thing around, but it's functional.

Quote:
> 4) And since the RexxLA Symposium is coming up, I'll put in a plug for that too! If you
> are hoping to build a tool that is a bit like a database to store data into, or maybe a
> program to read in text files of one format and change the data around to be in another
> format my ObjectCUR classes make text file I/O work a snap.

        I'm probably going to join RexxLA very soon.  It's just a shame I can't attend
the Symposium this year because I don't live very far from Raleigh.

FWK

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:59:59 GMT
 Classic REXX, Object REXX

Quote:

> I too have had problems in grasping the 'concept' of Object Oriented
> programming (teaching an old dog new tricks);

        It's good to know that I'm not the only one.  {:+)

FWK

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:00:01 GMT

1. Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

2. Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

3. Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

4. Rexx Macro Space on Classic OS/2 Rexx

5. Difference in OS/2 Classic/Object REXX Read Only

6. Timings for classic v Object Rexx

7. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

8. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

9. Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?

10. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

11. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

12. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)