Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size
Author Message
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

I have a simple rexx exec on OS/2 3.0.  Here it is

/* rexx */

Parse Arg Argv

if Argv = '' then do
   say "You must enter a first and last name(ie: Dave Rupp)"
   say "Try again"
   exit
end

say "Ph lookup request looking for "Argv

exit

I would like to make the OS/2 window this runs in a long window versus the
standard line length, which I think is 26.  Is there a way either globally in
OS/2 or just for this one window, maybe in the "settings" dialog, via rexx
to set the line length of the window to say 40?

Dave Rupp

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:

> I have a simple rexx exec on OS/2 3.0.  Here it is

> /* rexx */

> Parse Arg Argv

> if Argv = '' then do
>    say "You must enter a first and last name(ie: Dave Rupp)"
>    say "Try again"
>    exit
> end

> say "Ph lookup request looking for "Argv

> exit

> I would like to make the OS/2 window this runs in a long window versus the
> standard line length, which I think is 26.  Is there a way either globally in
> OS/2 or just for this one window, maybe in the "settings" dialog, via rexx
> to set the line length of the window to say 40?

> Dave Rupp

How about:

which will set the number of lines in that window.
Won't resize it automagically.  You can even give it
a scrollback buffer by using a number like 500 for the
second value.

Dick Thaxter

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:

> > I have a simple rexx exec on OS/2 3.0.  Here it is

> > /* rexx */

> > Parse Arg Argv

> > if Argv = '' then do
> >    say "You must enter a first and last name(ie: Dave Rupp)"
> >    say "Try again"
> >    exit
> > end

> > say "Ph lookup request looking for "Argv

> > exit

> > I would like to make the OS/2 window this runs in a long window versus the
> > standard line length, which I think is 26.  Is there a way either globally in
> > OS/2 or just for this one window, maybe in the "settings" dialog, via rexx
> > to set the line length of the window to say 40?

> > Dave Rupp

> How about:

> which will set the number of lines in that window.
> Won't resize it automagically.  You can even give it
> a scrollback buffer by using a number like 500 for the
> second value.

Oops, I misrembered an old OS/2 2.1 trick.  80,500 won't work,
but 80,100 seems to work fine.  The help for mode suggests that the only
valid values for the number of rows are 25,43,50; some higher values
yield an error msg, but still manage to increase the number of rows.

>{*filter*} Thaxter

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:

>[snip]

>> I would like to make the OS/2 window this runs in a long window versus the
>> standard line length, which I think is 26.  Is there a way either globally in
>> OS/2 or just for this one window, maybe in the "settings" dialog, via rexx
>> to set the line length of the window to say 40?

>How about:

>[snip]

>Dick Thaxter

Dick,

One last question.  I thought I had remembered seeing someone fire up an app
in an OS/2 window, but the window expanded to, probably, 43 lines
automatically without a scroll bar.  That is where I would like to be if
possible.  If not the scroll bar is much better that what I had before.

TIA  :-)

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

[snip]

Quote:
>Dick,
>Thanks very much.  I used help mode and got all sorts of info.  By adding

>One last question.  I thought I had remembered seeing someone fire up an app
>in an OS/2 window, but the window expanded to, probably, 43 lines
>automatically without a scroll bar.  That is where I would like to be if
>possible.  If not the scroll bar is much better that what I had before.

>TIA  :-)

The setting you want is a global one that applies to all
subsequently-created DOS and OS/2 windows.  What you can do is
   call RxFuncAdd 'SysIni','RexxUtil','SysIni' /*load SysIni from RexxUtil*/
   call SysIni , 'Shield','fMaximize','3100'x  /*set start max prop. to 1*/
   call SysIni , 'Shield','sInitialShape','DELETE:' /*forget initial pos.*/
and therafter every DOS or OS/2 window started on the machine will start
maximized (but without position information), which means the size will track
the number of lines and rows.
Hope this helps,
  -- giovanni

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:
>[snip]
>One last question.  I thought I had remembered seeing someone fire up an app
>in an OS/2 window, but the window expanded to, probably, 43 lines
>automatically without a scroll bar.  That is where I would like to be if
>possible.  If not the scroll bar is much better that what I had before.

>TIA  :-)

Found it.  When clicking on the Maximze button hold down the shift key.  From
then on that window will always start and stay BIG.  To disable this click on
the minimize button while holding the shift key.  Thanks All...

Dave

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:
>One last question.  I thought I had remembered seeing someone fire up an app
>in an OS/2 window, but the window expanded to, probably, 43 lines
>automatically without a scroll bar.  That is where I would like to be if
>possible.  If not the scroll bar is much better that what I had before.

>TIA  :-)

I run NcFTP, a text mode ftp program with these cmd files. Not sure that it
is quite the best, but it works so I quit there.

which runs

mode co80,43
set home=e:\tcpip
set hostname="iquest.net"
set etc=e:\mptn\etc
ncftp.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6

  -=-         -=-        -=-       -=-        -=-       -=-       -=-     -=-
Jerry L. Rowe - Certified OS/2 Engineer V 2.1,3,4
Certified OS/2 Lan Server/Warp Server Administrator/Engineer

Team OS/2 - Warping the Internet

  -=-         -=-        -=-       -=-        -=-       -=-       -=-     -=-
Is Microsoft a Tiger?

There once was a lady from Niger
Who smiled as she rode on a Tiger
They returned from the ride
With the lady inside
And the smile on the face of the Tiger.

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

 Date- Wed, 25 Feb 98 13:01:27 -0500

 Subj- Re: Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window
size

Quote:
> Found it.  When clicking on the Maximze button hold down the shift
> key.  From then on that window will always start and stay BIG.  To
> disable this click on the minimize button while holding the shift key.
> Thanks All...

Glad you found a something.  Here's a little program I call to open a
big window in a specified directory and start my favorite editor --
Boxer for OS/2.  This way, the usual window opens small and only when I
want a large window do I use BigWin.  Maybe you'll find it useful.

/* BigWin.cmd - Start editor in large OS/2 Window - r4 */
  parse arg project dir
  editor = 'b2'
  if dir = '' then do
    say 'What directory?'
    parse pull dir
    if dir = '' then dir = directory()
  end
  if project = '' then do
    project = 'N/A'
  end
  call directory dir

  exit

--
Oxymoron of the hour:
New classic

Author of ICE Cream,  an MR/2 ICE add-on
          Empirical Heuristics
      http://www.mhv.net/~morbius
The Communications Information Continuum
P.O. Box 189       West Hurley, NY 12491
For all of you cat lovers out there:
         http://idt.net/~dale4/abys.html

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

 Date- Wed, 25 Feb 98 12:36:32 -0500

 Subj- Re: Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window
size

Quote:
>    call SysIni , 'Shield','fMaximize','3100'x  /*set start max prop.
> to 1*/
>    call SysIni , 'Shield','sInitialShape','DELETE:' /*forget initial
> pos.*/

Where did you find the information on the possible Shield settings, if I
may ask?

--

"Operating Systems manufactured by Microsoft are by far the most
popular, with about millions of copies in use worldwide.  OS/2
life form."  --modified from: New York Times, November 26, 1991

      http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~morbius
The Communications Information Continuum
P.O. Box 189       West Hurley, NY 12491
For all of you cat lovers out there:
          http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~dale4/abys.html

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

[skissors applied]

Quote:
>    call RxFuncAdd 'SysIni','RexxUtil','SysIni' /*load SysIni from RexxUtil*/
>    call SysIni , 'Shield','fMaximize','3100'x  /*set start max prop. to 1*/
>    call SysIni , 'Shield','sInitialShape','DELETE:' /*forget initial pos.*/

--
Hi Giovanni !
Do you (or anyone else) know how can I change the position of OS/2
window ?
I use to start several apps simultaneously, using 'mode 10,10' to reduce
size
of each enough to see them all on my screen. BUT, each app is starting
on the
same position, so I should drag every window to its' position. I do it
very
often (combination of apps running simultaneously is always different).
Some of these apps are launched by sheduler, some manually with
icon-clicking.
Can I use REXX to 'drag' every small window to its' position
automatically ?
--
Grazie in advance, Vladimir (kzm11 at geocities dot com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/7762/index.html

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Pozhalysto Vladimir!
When all your DOS and OS/2 windows are opening in the same spot, it means
there is a Shield\sInitialShape=xxx setting in the OS2.INI file. (This
is set up automatically e.g. if you SHIFT-MAXIMIZE and SHIFT-DRAG a window
somewhere.) The Shield values apply globally to all subsequent windowed
command prompts; in the case of the sInitialShape key, I'm happy simply
not having it set at all, since then each window gets a new position as
it opens.  This is what SysIni 'Shield','sInitialShape','DELETE:' does.

The Shield key values only apply to subsequently-opened windows--you
can't use SysIni to change the values of an open window.

If you can figure out their format, it is possible to work around the
global nature of Shield values by using REXX and SysIni to open your app.
Instead of just opening you app, call a REXX script that
 (a) saves the old Shield value,
 (b) sets the desired an app-specific value,
 (c) starts your character-mode app window, and finally
 (d) re-sets the old (presumably the desired default) value

The Shield keys I've played with are "fMaximize" (a true/false; the key
value is a null-terminated ASCII string either '1'||'00'x or '0'||'00'x),
and "~Font Size..." (which I'm guessing is language-dependant) whose
permissible values will depend on the display driver and resolution.
Use the Font Size... (language-dependant, and presumably=keyname!)
entry in the system menu of an OS/2 window to see your available font
choices. The key value format is x||y where x=d2x(width) and y=d2x(height),
and width and height are measured in pixels (this is the reverse order of
the Font Size dialog listing).

DISCLAIMERS:
Unfortunately, my only source for these formats has been making changes
through the GUI and observing the changes in the OS2.INI file with
an ini editor.  Though these particular formats have stayed the same in
OS/2  versions 2.x, 3 and 4, and all CSDs and fixpacks I know of, there's no
guarantee this will continue.
Always have a good INI editor and a backup in place before you play around!
  --  giovanni

Quote:

>[skissors applied]
>>    call RxFuncAdd 'SysIni','RexxUtil','SysIni' /*load SysIni from RexxUtil*/
>>    call SysIni , 'Shield','fMaximize','3100'x  /*set start max prop. to 1*/
>>    call SysIni , 'Shield','sInitialShape','DELETE:' /*forget initial pos.*/
>--
>Hi Giovanni !
>Do you (or anyone else) know how can I change the position of OS/2
>window ?
>I use to start several apps simultaneously, using 'mode 10,10' to reduce
>size
>of each enough to see them all on my screen. BUT, each app is starting
>on the
>same position, so I should drag every window to its' position. I do it
>very
>often (combination of apps running simultaneously is always different).
>Some of these apps are launched by sheduler, some manually with
>icon-clicking.
>Can I use REXX to 'drag' every small window to its' position
>automatically ?
>--
>Grazie in advance, Vladimir (kzm11 at geocities dot com)
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/7762/index.html

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

 Date- Wed, 25 Feb 98 10:17:15 -0500

 Subj- Re: Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window
size

Quote:
> One last question.  I thought I had remembered seeing someone fire up
> an app in an OS/2 window, but the window expanded to, probably, 43
> lines automatically without a scroll bar.  That is where I would like
> to be if possible.  If not the scroll bar is much better that what I
> had before.

Dave, unless I completely misunderstand you, I think I have what you're
looking for.  The program will open an OS/2 window to 43 lines and 132
columns in the foreground, without scroll bars (provided a small enough
font is the default), and start my favorite editor, which can probably
easily enough be replaced by your app.   I posted this three days ago
here:

====== post from 3 days ago =======

Glad you found a something.  Here's a little program I call to open a
big window in a specified directory and start my favorite editor --
Boxer for OS/2.  This way, the usual window opens small and only when I
want a large window do I use BigWin.  Maybe you'll find it useful.

/* BigWin.cmd - Start editor in large OS/2 Window - r4 */
  parse arg project dir
  editor = 'b2'
  if dir = '' then do
    say 'What directory?'
    parse pull dir
    if dir = '' then dir = directory()
  end
  if project = '' then do
    project = 'N/A'
  end
  call directory dir

  exit

====== end post from 3 days ago ========

Bob

--

WARNING!  This document was created and transmitted using OS/2, the
most advanced 32 bit operating system in the world.  Installation

Author of ICE Cream,  an MR/2 ICE add-on
          Empirical Heuristics
      http://www.mhv.net/~morbius
The Communications Information Continuum
P.O. Box 189       West Hurley, NY 12491
For all of you cat lovers out there:
         http://idt.net/~dale4/abys.html

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

Quote:

> Date- Wed, 25 Feb 98 10:17:15 -0500

> Subj- Re: Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window
>size

>>[snip]
>> had before.

>Dave, unless I completely misunderstand you, I think I have what you're
>looking for.  The program will open an OS/2 window to 43 lines and 132
>columns in the foreground, without scroll bars (provided a small enough
>font is the default), and start my favorite editor, which can probably
>easily enough be replaced by your app.   I posted this three days ago
>here:

>[snip]

Thanks Bob and others.  I got my app working just the way I want it now.  :-)

Dave Rupp
Dallas, Texas  USA

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Changing the window title on an os/2 window through Rexx

2. Using os.system and os.popen from pythonwin under Windows NT

3. Closing an OS/2 window using Rexx

4. Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

5. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

6. Script to change OS/2 full screen to OS/2 windowed

7. OS/2: Rexx Script from Win-OS file manager

8. REXX-OS/2 and ECI for CICS-OS/2

9. Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

10. OS/400 REXX - changing variables via API's

11. OS/2 Rexx: Change Drive Object's settings

12. OS/2 REXX Change WP_LaunchPad