Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx
Author Message
 Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

Hi,

I'm looking for a rexx compiler and would like comparisons
of Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx. I have no experience with either
of them so can anyone give me an advise on which one to buy
based on the following requirements :

- Need standalone royaltee free executables of my existing cgi-scripts
- These scripts make use of the DB2 rexx interface and have to work
after
        compilation.
- The scripts call other scripts and this should still work after
compilation.

Actually i need a compiler that will compile any existing rexx scripts
without
me having to change the code.

Nice features would be :

- Visual programing environement a la Visual Age
- Good libraries for socket, namedpipe, ipc
- Small en fast executables 8).

Any advice would be greately appreciated, please send cc to email
address aswell.

thanks in advance,

Vivek Joshi

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

Quote:

>Hi,

Say,

Quote:
>I'm looking for a rexx compiler and would like comparisons
>of Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx. I have no experience with either
>of them so can anyone give me an advise on which one to buy
>based on the following requirements :

I have HOCKWARE's VisproRexx Bronze.

Quote:
>- Need standalone royaltee free executables of my existing cgi-scripts
>- These scripts make use of the DB2 rexx interface and have to work
>- after compilation.

VPR will work with any third party function library.

Quote:
>- The scripts call other scripts and this should still work after
>compilation.

They will.

Quote:
>Actually i need a compiler that will compile any existing rexx scripts
>without me having to change the code.

You have the option to build a self contained app (no additional vpr
runtime needed) or a small version that requires the runtime files.  You
can compile your scripts in a standard mode that can be read with a
simple text editior or encrypt it or even compile it into pre-tokenized
code...

Quote:
>Nice features would be :

>- Visual programing environement a la Visual Age

Not quite that nice. But the drag-and-drop programming is terrific!

Quote:
>- Good libraries for socket, namedpipe, ipc

It's all available "third party!"

Quote:
>- Small en fast executables 8).

Well, eventhough the scripts are compiled, it's STILL run like a rexx
script. That is, through an interpreter...

Quote:

>Any advice would be greately appreciated, please send cc to email
>address aswell.

My advice is...  If it's visual and rexx, you HAVE to go VisproRexx.
But don't bother buying the Bronze version, you'll soon outgrow it and
desire the extra features of the Gold version. Go GOLD.

--

/-------------------------------------\

\-------------------------------------/

Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

Quote:

> >Hi,

> Say,

> >I'm looking for a rexx compiler and would like comparisons
> >of Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx. I have no experience with either
> >of them so can anyone give me an advise on which one to buy
> >based on the following requirements :

> I have HOCKWARE's VisproRexx Bronze.

> >- Need standalone royaltee free executables of my existing cgi-scripts
> >- These scripts make use of the DB2 rexx interface and have to work
> >- after compilation.

> VPR will work with any third party function library.

> >- The scripts call other scripts and this should still work after
> >compilation.

> They will.

> >Actually i need a compiler that will compile any existing rexx scripts
> >without me having to change the code.

> You have the option to build a self contained app (no additional vpr
> runtime needed) or a small version that requires the runtime files.  You
> can compile your scripts in a standard mode that can be read with a
> simple text editior or encrypt it or even compile it into pre-tokenized
> code...

> >Nice features would be :

> >- Visual programing environement a la Visual Age

> Not quite that nice. But the drag-and-drop programming is terrific!

> >- Good libraries for socket, namedpipe, ipc

> It's all available "third party!"

> >- Small en fast executables 8).

> Well, eventhough the scripts are compiled, it's STILL run like a rexx
> script. That is, through an interpreter...

> >Any advice would be greately appreciated, please send cc to email
> >address aswell.

> My advice is...  If it's visual and rexx, you HAVE to go VisproRexx.
> But don't bother buying the Bronze version, you'll soon outgrow it and
> desire the extra features of the Gold version. Go GOLD.

Well i took your advise (after testdriving the evaluation version). It
works great !!!

But I have one question how do I get the arguments passed
to the program ?

Parse Arg returns an Integer probably identifying the window.
Can't find anything in the online help (haven't had time to
read the manual yet. Besides Vispro Rexx works so intuitive
that you don't nead to.)

Is there a way to just compile existing rexx .cmd files
without making them visual ?

thanks,

Vivek Joshi

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

:>

   (snip)

:>
:>But I have one question how do I get the arguments passed
:>to the program ?
:>
:>Parse Arg returns an Integer probably identifying the window.
:>Can't find anything in the online help (haven't had time to
:>read the manual yet. Besides Vispro Rexx works so intuitive
:>that you don't nead to.)
:>

When you get control in the FORM.1 routine of the MAIN window, the
variable "topic" will have the parameters specified on the command
line at invocation.

   (snip)

Bob Eberle
RKE Consulting, Inc.

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

Quote:

>> >Hi,

>> Say,

>Well i took your advise (after testdriving the evaluation version). It
>works great !!!

>But I have one question how do I get the arguments passed
>to the program ?

>Parse Arg returns an Integer probably identifying the window.
>Can't find anything in the online help (haven't had time to
>read the manual yet. Besides Vispro Rexx works so intuitive
>that you don't nead to.)

>Is there a way to just compile existing rexx .cmd files
>without making them visual ?

arg windows arg1 arg2 ect
that  arg1 is the first argument and so on

on hobbes there is an app called  RXCLS it adds 13K or so but it's usefull.
vispro/rexx compiler is just for vispro stuff... but I bet you can have can
hack at the run_.cmd and get it to compile with out visualcode...

Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

3. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

4. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

5. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

6. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

7. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

8. Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

9. Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

10. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx

11. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

12. REXX Compiler for VisPro/REXX