Netrexx v Object Rexx
Author Message
 Netrexx v Object Rexx

I'm just starting a server project and am hesitating between Netrexx and
Object rexx.
It'll run under Linux / apache and I have free access to the server. From
what I've read  about data modelling  the products seem even to me.
Performance ? robustness ?
I'd appreciate any opinions on pros and cons of either solution.

Best regards

Dave Salthouse

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Netrexx v Object Rexx
Dave,

I have a heavy NetRexx bias: it produces Java classes, can use Java class
libraries, it is *fast* and still is Rexx. Your user interface is a standard
cross-platform Java GUI and not  something non-standard that can break when
you need it.

I originally looked into NetRexx because I was using ORexx in a project and
the I/O speed just did not cut it - and it had a severe memory leak, which
probably has been solved now in service packs.

Write NetRexx, and have your program/product run on all Java VM's on all
platforms. Contra: you have to compile again, but with some makefiles this is
no problem. There has been talk of an upcoming NetRexx interpreter.

Look at the IBM redbook at

It will contain everything you need to start developing your server app, and
has, among others, sections on CGI and Servlets.
By the way, writing Servlets in NetRexx is a joy.

greetings from Amsterdam,

Ren Jansen

Quote:

> I'm just starting a server project and am hesitating between Netrexx and
> Object rexx.
> It'll run under Linux / apache and I have free access to the server. From
> what I've read  about data modelling  the products seem even to me.
> Performance ? robustness ?
> I'd appreciate any opinions on pros and cons of either solution.

> Best regards

> Dave Salthouse

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Netrexx v Object Rexx

And I am not happy with NetRexx as it does not accept my huge libraries of
existing code. Tho it is "Rexx" various parts are actually the Java function
names, not the Rexx ones. I, trying to learn the beast, had a hard time
seeing the line between Java / Rexx all in one language. I program in Rexx
and Java, not "Rexva."

My opinions are my own.

Michael Lueck

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

2. Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

3. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

4. NetRexx course (was: Starting on NetRexx)

5. prominent Rexx/NetRexx links

6. NetRexx 2 -- interpreted Rexx for Java

7. Classic Rexx to NetRexx

8. Programs that run in Rexx and NetRexx

9. Is there a translator from Rexx to NetRexx?

10. Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues

11. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

12. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX