VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX
Author Message
 VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

Several days ago I sent the following to Watcom's E-mail tech support:

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:02:22 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Windows Slow to Open

My Window1 for a simple project using an EXE file takes about 6 seconds
to open. A very similar project done under VISPRO-REXX using the
All-include build of an EXE file takes only about 3 seconds. Of course
the EXE file is about 6 times larger; however, storage space is cheaper
than user time. Do you have plans to include the option of including that
part of the dll that is needed in the EXE file? If so, what is your
projected availability date? If not, why not?
Thanks,
Garland

The following is Watcom's only response:
---------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 14:01:32 -0500

Subject: Re: Windows Slow to Open

This message is automatically sent to all Watcom Technical Support
inquiries in order to act as an acknowledgement.

Our FTP site, ftp.watcom.on.ca, contains the latest patches as well
as various technical notes that address commonly asked questions and
answers.  We encourage you to access the  information from our FTP
site to address your technical inquiries.

You can also make use of the Powersoft/Watcom CompuServe forum, our
support message vehicle of choice.  This forum now supports more than
32,000 other developers and gives you access to a larger community
whose questions are likely to be similar to yours. Watcom support
personnel will monitor CompuServe to assure that support issues are
being addressed.

Note that the TECH userid will continue to be available for comments
and suggestions regarding our products.  However, it will not be used
as a forum to field tech support questions, and responses will be
limited to this acknowledgement.

Also note, there are a variety of new support plans which are now
available to you.  An itemization of the new support plans is now
available on CompuServe, BBS and internet FTP areas as
<policies.txt>.

If you have any questions regarding these new policies, please call
Powersoft Customer Relations at (508)287-1900.

Since I do not have a CompuServe connection there does not appear to be
a reasonable way to ask Watcom the above questions. Can someone out there
provide answers/comments?
Thanks,
Garland

Tue, 15 Jul 1997 00:59:40 GMT
 VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX
Further to the VX-REXX/Watcom bashing, recall that the owner/sponsor
of a forum (Watcom in the case) makes a PROFIT off everyone connecting
into it.  So rather than a support cost, Watcom has engineered making
support a profit generator.  That is why I do not subscribe to c$.

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:34:58 GMT
 VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

Quote:
>Several days ago I sent the following to Watcom's E-mail tech support:
> [deleted]
>Since I do not have a CompuServe connection there does not appear to be
>a reasonable way to ask Watcom the above questions.

I suspect there are thousands of users like you and me, especially overseas
users, who don't have or *don't want to* have a Compuserve account.

Quote:
>Can someone out there
>provide answers/comments?

As to comments, you are lucky since at least they let you know they
do not provide e-mail answers any more.
I don't want to tell my experience one more time. Suffice it to say that
they were so unkind as to promise a reply after ten business days.
They were, probably, changing their support policy but they didn't tell me.
Needless to say, that answer never arrived. And it was a bug report, not
even a general question like yours.

As to answers, switch to VISPRO-REXX if that fits your needs.

--

Michele Marziani

 * Dipartimento di Fisica               Telephone: +39 532 781823 *
 * 44100 Ferrara - ITALY                      Fax: +39 532 781810 */

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:15:22 GMT
 VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

Quote:

>>Several days ago I sent the following to Watcom's E-mail tech support:
>> [deleted]
>>Since I do not have a CompuServe connection there does not appear to be
>>a reasonable way to ask Watcom the above questions.

>I suspect there are thousands of users like you and me, especially overseas
>users, who don't have or *don't want to* have a Compuserve account.

Let's add another group. Can't afford a Compuserve account!
I guess that means one can't afford VX-Rexx. Interesting.

Watcom wakeup!

Later,

Helen

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:55:17 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

3. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

4. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

5. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

6. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

7. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

8. VX-REXX: Error updating to 2.1B (?)

9. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much

10. VX-Rexx V2.1b

11. VX-REXX 2.1B Can't drag from WE to Container

12. VX-Rexx V2.1b