VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX
Author Message
 VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

Hi guys ,

I would like to hear any comments as to how those 2 compare to each
other. I already own VX-REXX 2.1d but as there is no support for it
any more I'm wondering if it's worth it to change or just stay with
what I already got

Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'avance

Martin

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

Quote:

> I would like to hear any comments as to how those 2 compare to each
> other. I already own VX-REXX 2.1d but as there is no support for it
> any more I'm wondering if it's worth it to change or just stay with
> what I already got

I know that you are a "REXX man" - but what about Pascal??

Try and take a look at:

http://www.ndrh.de/~speed

it look just like Borland Delphi and is compatible with Delphi! Much
better than VisPro REXX - and no all that code writing :-)

Hope to hear your opinion!

--
Best regards

Erik Kronborg   [Member of Team OS/2, Denmark]

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

In a message dated 01-26-98, Erik Kronborg said to All about Re: Vispro/rexx
Vs Vx-rex

Quote:

> I would like to hear any comments as to how those 2 compare to each
> other. I already own VX-REXX 2.1d but as there is no support for it
> any more I'm wondering if it's worth it to change or just stay with
> what I already got

EK>I know that you are a "REXX man" - but what about Pascal??

EK>Try and take a look at:

EK>http://www.ndrh.de/~speed

EK>it look just like Borland Delphi and is compatible with Delphi! Much
EK>better than VisPro REXX - and no all that code writing :-)

EK>Hope to hear your opinion!

I have all 3 of these products installed.

I generally prefer VisPro REXX Gold over the other 2, although Sibyl (the
SpeedSoft Pascal IDE) is also very good. However, the Sibyl generator does
not generate anywhere near as much of the "boilerplate" source code as the
VisPro IDE. For really _rapid_ development VisPro REXX is better.

However, Sibyl does have a larger array of built-in controls. For "prettier"
types of program (e.g. multimedia) Sibyl provides a more comprehensive
starting platform.

The major drawback to Sibyl is the Object Pascal language. It is so lacking
in features that REXX seems very powerful in comparison. The class library
supplied by SpeedSoft goes some way towards remedying this, but things like
character strings being limited to a maximum length of 255 bytes become
really annoying. [The ANSISTRING type can't do anything, even though it can
hold larger strings.]

Execution efficiency is about equal. Although Sibyl compiles to native
object code, it isn't very fast object code; in fact, it is almost
interpretive. Only the most CPU-intensive tasks would show Sibyl's code to
be faster than REXX.

Both have very good interfaces to DB2/2 or any ODBC-compliant DBMS. The
VisPro IDE has a database designer, as well as providing access to existing
databases when coding. Sibyl only has the latter, at the moment.

Just my $0.02 worth, as a user of all the products under discussion.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>
___
 * MR/2 2.25 #353 * Coming Soon!!  Mouse Support for Edlin!!

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

3. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

4. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

5. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

6. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

7. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

8. Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

9. Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

10. VXREXX vs VISPRO REXX (IMHO)

11. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx