TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC
Author Message
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

The product was SPF/PC.  I can't remember the name of the company now, but,
I have still seen/heard of it recently.  I use to have this program, eons
ago, and it was pretty good.  However, KEdit and Personal Rexx were *much*
better (just like XEdit buries TSO/ISPF on the mainframe <g>)  I'm sure
that, if you do a search on the web for SPF/PC or SPFPC you will find out
more info.

Ted

cc:    (bcc: Ted Manos)
Subject:  TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

I seem to recall that, way back when, there was a product available that
simulated TSO/ISPF on a DOS IBM-compatible PC. I mean WAY back when - if I
recall correctly, I was using it on a brand-new Osborne computer....
Does anyone else remember this product, and does anyone know where I might
dig up a copy?

groupd out very often. Thanks in advance.
- James
--
The address listed in the header of this message is a canard to avoid email

Fri, 26 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> (just like XEdit buries TSO/ISPF on the mainframe <g>)

My good friend, Tom McSloy (Captain Tools), and I would often while
away a lazy afternoon playing a game of "Can You Top This?".  Tom
liked XEDIT; I was born and raised on MVS and have a moderate bias for
ISPF....

In the end, we agreed that each (in its own sphere of competence) was
the best there was and that there was a fairly large number of
situations fairly evenly distributed in which one of us would have to
answer a challenge with "...yeah, but I can write a macro for that."

XEdit looks _real_ good until you start figuring in the hidden
overhead of VindictiveMaleficent, the near-total isolation of one
development programmer from his/her teammates, and the virtual
impossibility of running _real_ production on that hacker's toy;
reality sets in, and you wander over to MVS...

There... are there any VMistas I haven't offended ?   (Sorry I missed
you ;-)

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(Remove the currency symbol before replying.)

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:
>The product was SPF/PC.  I can't remember the name of the company now, but,

Mansfield Software, I think
They do KEDIT (Now KEDIT for Windows)
There is a free trial pack to download
WWW.KEDIT.COM
Quote:
>I have still seen/heard of it recently.  I use to have this program, eons
>ago, and it was pretty good.  However, KEdit and Personal Rexx were *much*
>better (just like XEdit buries TSO/ISPF on the mainframe <g>)  I'm sure

Personal Rexx for MSDOS or OS2 or W95/NT (3 products)
Quercus Systems
I am a happy MSDOS user of REXX but it works under W95/NT ok
WWW.QUERCUS-SYS.COM

John Wood                                                Birmingham UK

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

   On 12/10/97, John Wood writes:

Quote:
>The product was SPF/PC.  I can't remember the name of the company now,

but,
Mansfield Software, I think
They do KEDIT (Now KEDIT for Windows)
There is a free trial pack to download
WWW.KEDIT.COM
Quote:
>I have still seen/heard of it recently.  I use to have this program, eons
>ago, and it was pretty good.  However, KEdit and Personal Rexx were *much*
>better (just like XEdit buries TSO/ISPF on the mainframe <g>)  I'm sure

Personal Rexx for MSDOS or OS2 or W95/NT (3 products)
Quercus Systems
I am a happy MSDOS user of REXX but it works under W95/NT ok
WWW.QUERCUS-SYS.COM
John Wood                                                Birmingham UK

Actually, the product this whole thread started about was/is SPF/PC from
CTC (Command Technologies).  (I couldn't remember the name of the company,
but someone else on the list mentioned it in another follow-up.)

SPF/PC was/is a very good product, for those people who prefer or are use
to the TSO/SPF interface of the MVS mainframe world.  I use to own and use
this product, years ago, and liked it a great deal.  That is, until I
discovered KEDIT (for DOS or Windows), from Mansfield Software, which
basically implements the Xedit interface/editor of the VM Mainframe OS, but
on the PC platform.  Add to Kedit the functionality of Personal Rexx (also
DOS or Windows or OS/2) from Quercus Systems, and you have *the* most
flexible, powerful and easy to use editor in the world (IMHO).

Web Pages for the above companies are:
     http://www.command-technology.com
     http://www.kedit.com
     http://www.quercus-sys.com

-Ted

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> My good friend, Tom McSloy (Captain Tools), and I would often while
> away a lazy afternoon playing a game of "Can You Top This?".  Tom
> liked XEDIT; I was born and raised on MVS and have a moderate bias for
> ISPF....

I consider myself a TSO bigot, but I would like to defend XEDIT. Both
the ISPF/PDF editor and XEDIT have their good points, and I've always
found myself wishing that I had a single editor that combined the
facilities of both.

Quote:
> XEdit looks _real_ good until you start figuring in the hidden
> overhead of VindictiveMaleficent, the near-total isolation of one
> development programmer from his/her teammates, and the virtual
> impossibility of running _real_ production on that hacker's toy;
> reality sets in, and you wander over to MVS...

Well, I used to use a configuration management tool that was built on
top of XEDIT for a rather substantial product; I didn't see any signs of
isolation from my teammates and the project qualified as real production
by anyone's definition.

Quote:
> There... are there any VMistas I haven't offended ?   (Sorry I missed
> you ;-)

If you have, tell them that CMS stands for Clumsy Monitor System and
that 8 character tokenization is Mickey Mouse (I wanted that on a button
when SHARE was in Anaheim.) But be aware that many of the defects in
VMF/370 have been removed or ameliorated in VM/ESA.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> Actually, the product this whole thread started about was/is SPF/PC from
> CTC (Command Technologies).  (I couldn't remember the name of the company,
> but someone else on the list mentioned it in another follow-up.)

> SPF/PC was/is a very good product, for those people who prefer or are use
> to the TSO/SPF interface of the MVS mainframe world.  I use to own and use
> this product, years ago, and liked it a great deal.  That is, until I
> discovered KEDIT (for DOS or Windows), from Mansfield Software, which
> basically implements the Xedit interface/editor of the VM Mainframe OS, but
> on the PC platform.  Add to Kedit the functionality of Personal Rexx (also
> DOS or Windows or OS/2) from Quercus Systems, and you have *the* most
> flexible, powerful and easy to use editor in the world (IMHO).

SPF/PC is more than an editor.  It's an ISPF/PDF emulator.  It also
supports REXX using ISPEXEC and ISREDIT interface.  The Command
Technologies web page about it is
http://www.command-technology.com/ctcspfpc.htm
They support multiple PC environments.  I have a friend who uses it from
his house for contract mainframe programming.  He has mentioned that
their support philosophy is changing.

I happen to prefer The Hessling Editor as an Xedit/Kedit clone because
it runs in more environments.  I use it with REXX/imc.

Bob Eltgroth

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

While we're blathering on the subject,
has anyone seen PC-Wylbur or PC-JCL?
PC-IMS-IFS (the screen-generator part)? PC-CICS? (bleh!)
(Half seriously.. reply to either half..)

Why? Besides to be silly or nostalgic, perhaps
to test stuff "off line"..

                                - = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bioengineer-Financier, NYC
   BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian http://WWW.Dorsai.Org/~vjp2

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

I have been using the CTC SPF products for several years.
They have the look and most of the feel of ISPF but do not expect your host
macros or applications to run without a lot of modifications. In edit
macros,
the current line pointer is not maintained the same way that TSO/SPF
maintains it (a little thing like that can drive you crazy).  Also, they
stopped
adding new ISPF services more than a year ago.  Your macros may use
services that are not supported.

When I complained about the behavi{*filter*}differences between their SPF
and host versions, one of the support reps at CTC told me that none of the
developers had ever seen ISPF run on a mainframe.  This explains why
undocumented ISPF features, like block SS EDIT line commands and redisplay
of
the EDIT primary commands when a macro returns a non-zero return code are
not supported.

If all that you want to do is edit small files, then the CTC SPF products
work.
If you want to edit multi-megabyte files then they are less stable.

I have been told that there will be no future updates to their SPF products.
If you find a bug, and there are many, you will have to live with it.

Jim Walker

Quote:

>> Actually, the product this whole thread started about was/is SPF/PC from
>> CTC (Command Technologies).  (I couldn't remember the name of the
company,
>> but someone else on the list mentioned it in another follow-up.)

>> SPF/PC was/is a very good product, for those people who prefer or are use
>> to the TSO/SPF interface of the MVS mainframe world.  I use to own and
use
>> this product, years ago, and liked it a great deal.  That is, until I
>> discovered KEDIT (for DOS or Windows), from Mansfield Software, which
>> basically implements the Xedit interface/editor of the VM Mainframe OS,
but
>> on the PC platform.  Add to Kedit the functionality of Personal Rexx
(also
>> DOS or Windows or OS/2) from Quercus Systems, and you have *the* most
>> flexible, powerful and easy to use editor in the world (IMHO).

>SPF/PC is more than an editor.  It's an ISPF/PDF emulator.  It also
>supports REXX using ISPEXEC and ISREDIT interface.  The Command
>Technologies web page about it is
> http://www.*-*-*.com/
>They support multiple PC environments.  I have a friend who uses it from
>his house for contract mainframe programming.  He has mentioned that
>their support philosophy is changing.

>I happen to prefer The Hessling Editor as an Xedit/Kedit clone because
>it runs in more environments.  I use it with REXX/imc.

>Bob Eltgroth

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> > (just like XEdit buries TSO/ISPF on the mainframe <g>)

> My good friend, Tom McSloy (Captain Tools), and I would often while
> away a lazy afternoon playing a game of "Can You Top This?".  Tom
> liked XEDIT; I was born and raised on MVS and have a moderate bias for
> ISPF....

> In the end, we agreed that each (in its own sphere of competence) was
> the best there was and that there was a fairly large number of
> situations fairly evenly distributed in which one of us would have to
> answer a challenge with "...yeah, but I can write a macro for that."

> XEdit looks _real_ good until you start figuring in the hidden
> overhead of VindictiveMaleficent, the near-total isolation of one
> development programmer from his/her teammates, and the virtual
> impossibility of running _real_ production on that hacker's toy;
> reality sets in, and you wander over to MVS...

> There... are there any VMistas I haven't offended ?   (Sorry I missed
> you ;-)

> Frank Clarke

I spent my time on both Rexx and MVS.  Using macros under both and the
EXEC language(simialr to Rexx) on VM.

As stated before, both had their positive (as well as negative) sides.
However, working in a shop that requires tape to offload to the "test"
system(MVS) leaves me hungry for some of thge VM features.

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> I have been using the CTC SPF products for several years.
> They have the look and most of the feel of ISPF but do not expect your host
> macros or applications to run without a lot of modifications.

That's basically why I wound up buying Tritus SPF; CTC had a "so what?"
attitude about incompatibilities. It didn't help that they were running
ads claiming "Zero learning curve"  :-(

Quote:

> When I complained about the behavi{*filter*}differences between their SPF
> and host versions, one of the support reps at CTC told me that none of the
> developers had ever seen ISPF run on a mainframe.  This explains why
> undocumented ISPF features,

Never mind undocumented features; I ran into compatibility problems in
the documented features.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:
> When I complained about the behavi{*filter*}differences between their SPF
> and host versions, one of the support reps at CTC told me that none of the
> developers had ever seen ISPF run on a mainframe.  This explains why
> undocumented ISPF features, like block SS EDIT line commands and redisplay

"block SS line commands"?  Eh?

If you meant block DD and mistyped, that's hardly undocumented.  And if
you mean truly undocumented commands - well, they certainly exist; I've
found them myself in the past.  So I tried SS, but it didn't do
anything on my OS/390 mainframe running ISPF V4.2.

 - seb

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

The mainframe form of the ISREDIT PROCESS command is:

  PROCESS [DEST] [RANGE cmd1 [cmd2]]

      RANGE cmd1 [cmd2]

      specifies that editor label .ZFRANGE be set to the line number of the
      line containing a "cmd1" line command and that label .ZLRANGE be set
      the line number of the line containing a "cmd2" line command.

A special (and undocumented in my old documentation) case of the command is:

      PROCESS RANGE S

When the above is specified the user can select a line or lines by entering:

      a)  an S on the line to be selected
      b)  an S followed by a number to indicate the number of lines selected
      c)  a block of lines beginning and ending with SS line commands

The CTC SPF products do not set .ZFRANGE and .ZLRANGE when a block of
lines is specified with SS line commands for an EDIT MACRO with an ISREDIT
"PROCESS RANGE S" command.

Jim Walker

Quote:

>> When I complained about the behavi{*filter*}differences between their SPF
>> and host versions, one of the support reps at CTC told me that none of
the
>> developers had ever seen ISPF run on a mainframe.  This explains why
>> undocumented ISPF features, like block SS EDIT line commands and
redisplay

>"block SS line commands"?  Eh?

>If you meant block DD and mistyped, that's hardly undocumented.  And if
>you mean truly undocumented commands - well, they certainly exist; I've
>found them myself in the past.  So I tried SS, but it didn't do
>anything on my OS/390 mainframe running ISPF V4.2.

> - seb

Sat, 03 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:

> I consider myself a TSO bigot, but I would like to defend XEDIT. Both
> the ISPF/PDF editor and XEDIT have their good points, and I've always
> found myself wishing that I had a single editor that combined the
> facilities of both.

From this I conclude that there are things possible in one that
are impossible to emulate in the other using REXX macros.
If my conclusion is correct, then which things are these?

Quote:
> that 8 character tokenization is Mickey Mouse (I wanted that on a button

You mean "McMickey MacMouse M", don't you?  ;-)

--------Hidden message--(Long Live VM/CMS!)--------
My ideal for file-specification:
   fname ftype fdisk       /*  3 space-delimited words  */
     Where 'fdisk' is a word describing either the (virtual) disk
     on which the file is stored, or a substitution for those long
     clumsy directory-paths.

Regards,

Tue, 06 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

Quote:
>From this I conclude that there are things possible in one that
>are impossible to emulate in the other using REXX macros.
>If my conclusion is correct, then which things are these?

I believe your conclusion is incorrect.  Each editor has native
features which the other has not; each provides macro-capacity in
which you may (if you're skilled enough at REXX) redesign the visible
universe.

This is probably something we ought _not_ to try....

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
Member of the REXX Language Association
Join us at http://www.rexxla.org
(Remove the currency symbol before replying.)

Thu, 08 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

2. TSO/ISPF simulator on a DOS PC

3. TSO/ISPF On PC?

4. Canada Vancouver - PL/1, IMS, DB2, MVS, TSO, ISPF, JCL - Experienced Programmers

5. question about TSO/ISPF commands

6. REXX +TSO + ISPF + Endevor

7. PFkeys: TSO/ISPF

8. Montréal - Informatique Conseil Plus - C-List REXX SAS TSO/ISPF

9. Rexx dynamic SQL to DB2 (TSO/ISPF source code)

10. MVS TSO/ISPF REXX Question

11. TSO/REXX and ISPF

12. Attempting Simple AI under MVS Rexx./TSO/ISPF