Rexx compatibility issues
Author Message
 Rexx compatibility issues

Hello Rexxpeople,

I've been happily composing Rexx programs under OS/2 for quite some time
now.  That means that I have a good-sized library of OS/2 Rexx programs,
representing many hours of development.

Now, the powers that be are starting to talk about Windows NT.  I've
seen that there are a bunch of NT Rexxes out there, and I want to ask
your opinion of them.  What I need is a robust and supported
implementation that does what OS/2 Rexx can do (I guess I can't ask for
the RexxUtil functions, sigh).  I'd appreciate it if someone could share
their experiences.

/Tomas

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Rexx compatibility issues

I found a nice Case Study in
http://www.aberdeen.com/secure/onsite/case1/body.htm, it may be a kind
act to provide a copy to "The powers"

Quote:

--
Hasta Pronto, Raul.

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Rexx compatibility issues

% Now, the powers that be are starting to talk about Windows NT.  [...]

% What I need is a robust and supported implementation that does what OS/2
% Rexx can do (I guess I can't ask for the RexxUtil functions, sigh).  I'd
% appreciate it if someone could share their experiences.

IBM's object Rexx seems to work OK and includes the RexxUtil functions.
Mark Hessling's point of Regina also seems to work OK, although the
supporting libraries are not there yet.

Anyway, if you have an effective working environment, then try and hold the
bastards off. Change for the sake of change is ridiculous.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Sun, 16 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Rexx compatibility issues

Tomas:

-I found a nice Case Study in
-http://www.aberdeen.com/secure/onsite/case1/body.htm, it may be a kind
-act to provide a copy to "The powers"

Very interesting to read ...

--
-- I've been happily composing Rexx programs under OS/2 for quite some time
-- now.  That means that I have a good-sized library of OS/2 Rexx programs,
-- representing many hours of development.

Sounds interesting, is there something there to share ? :)

-- Now, the powers that be are starting to talk about Windows NT.  I've
-- seen that there are a bunch of NT Rexxes out there, and I want to ask
-- your opinion of them.  What I need is a robust and supported
-- implementation that does what OS/2 Rexx can do (I guess I can't ask for
-- the RexxUtil functions, sigh).  I'd appreciate it if someone could share

Yes, you can, at least with IBM's Object Rexx for Win95/NT (appr.  USD 50 for
the intepreter; there is a GUI-developer-version too, about USD 200), some infos
on it can be found on IBM's Object Rexx homepage on:

        http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/orexx/

-- their experiences.

If you are going with the free Regina Rexx it seems that the *right* way to go
is the official port being maintained by Mark Hessling.  (There is a castrated
version of it being distributed by Microsoft via their NT-SDK, which does not
contain the standardized RexxAPI-interface.)

This is information from Mark's signature:

    PO Box 203                          Phone:              +617 3802 0800
    Bellara                             http://www.lightlink.com/hessling/
    QLD 4507                            **** Author of THE & Rexx/SQL ****
    Australia                           ******* Maintainer PDCurses ******
                                        ********** Member RexxLA *********

Hope that helps a little bit,

---rony

Tue, 18 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compatibility issues

2. RARS/C55 compatibility issue

3. Question: any compatibility issue between Clipper 5.3 and 5.01

4. Followup of the compatibility issue of smtplib

5. ANSI compatibility issue

6. Object Rexx performance issues

7. Q: Issuing LAN Server command in REXX

8. Issuing XEDIT cmds from REXX

9. Can Rexx issue ftp commands in OS/2?

10. Warp and VX-REXX issues

11. Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues

12. CFP: The AI Pride Issue (IEEE intelligent systems special issue)