VXRexx 2.1 Bug(New Feature?)
Author Message
 VXRexx 2.1 Bug(New Feature?)

This question is mainly directly to the people at Watcom, but
I'm posted it to everyone in case they come across the same
problem...

I have an application that uses HLLAPI to interface with the
3270 terminal.  It's basically a VXRexx front-end to allow
easier access to certain programs.  It's a very complex program
using DB2, SQL, external C++ DLLS, blah, blah...

This program was originally develyoped under VXrexx 2.0.  I
then started porting it to VXRexx 2.1b and noticed a problem.
When my application ended, I would get a trap-D in the VROBJ.DLL.
After about a day of debugging (before calling Watcom :) ), I
found the problem and I was wondering if someone at Watcom
could explain..

I have 5 ComboBoxes in my app.  When I populate the comboboxes,
I need to store information for each entry in the listboxes.
I therefore decided to use ITEMHANDLES in PM.  I passed the
HWnd of the ComboBoxes to an external C DLL and call WinSendMsg()
to store the information in the ITEMHANDLE of the listboxes.
Unfortunately, it looks like Watcom is using this area for there
own purposes now and I'm getting the Trap-D.

I have a work around though.  I am now using an IKeySet to store
the information instead of the ITEMHANDLE area.  I no longer
get the Trap.

Can someone tell me why Watcom is using this ITEMHANDLE area
in 2.1 and not in 2.0?  After all, it *IS* a user definable
area and *I* should have access to it.

If anyone have any questions, please let me know,

   -Steve

Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:56:30 GMT
 VXRexx 2.1 Bug(New Feature?)

Quote:

>I have 5 ComboBoxes in my app.  When I populate the comboboxes,
>I need to store information for each entry in the listboxes.
>I therefore decided to use ITEMHANDLES in PM.  I passed the
>HWnd of the ComboBoxes to an external C DLL and call WinSendMsg()
>to store the information in the ITEMHANDLE of the listboxes.
>Unfortunately, it looks like Watcom is using this area for there
>own purposes now and I'm getting the Trap-D.

>Can someone tell me why Watcom is using this ITEMHANDLE area
>in 2.1 and not in 2.0?  After all, it *IS* a user definable
>area and *I* should have access to it.

In VX-REXX 2.1 you can now set the itemhandle directly from your
REXX program, so you do have access to it.  The problem is that
you are slipping in your own data under the covers, and then when
the combobox gets destroyed VX-REXX notices that there is non-NULL
itemdata on the items and assumes (rightly so) that it put it there
and so should free it.  The correct solution for you would have to been to
reset all the itemdata to NULL before destroying the combobox.

Eric

Sat, 16 Aug 1997 01:01:50 GMT

1. Informix SQL TCL - Rel 2.1 fixed coredumps and new feature

2. Vxrexx & DB2/2 Ver 2.1

3. Update question VXREXX 2.1 to 2.1a

4. File Manager 2.9 - New Features or simply Bugs???

5. bug in realbasic 2.1 with listbox listindex

6. CW Version 2.1 pricing & bugs

7. Possible bug in Windows 2000 (Win2k) Regina 2.1 LIFO and FIFO

8. Start a VXRexx program from a VXRexx Program

9. Cosmo Player 2.1 - IE4 Fullscreen Bug?

10. Bug?: Cosmo Player 2.1 - IE4 Fullscreen

11. Possible Cosmo 2.1 bug?

12. bug in Jython 2.1? VerifyError