VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX
Author Message
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

writes:
:>
:>Re the two software packages mentioned in the subject: anyone care to give an opinion on which is better and why?
:>
:>TIA,
:>Leonard

Watcom/Powersoft/whoever who used to own VX-Rexx has dropped it. That's a good
enough reason to stay away from the product, regardless of its technical
merits.
I can't comment on VisPro Rexx as I've never used it. You might also want to
look
into DrDialog, an IBM EWS available on the DevCon CDs (although it dates back
bit and lacks the Warp 4's controls ; apart from that it's working fine).

| Alexis Parseghian | "Earth is the cradle of mankind ; but one can't  |
| ISM T&T           |  stay in the cradle forever." -- K. Tsiolkovsky  |
| Montreal, QC, Can |__________________________________________________|

|___________________|__________________________________________________|
| The views expressed in this message | Les opinions exprimees dans ce |
| are my own responsibility and do    | message sont miennes et n'en-  |
| involve my employer in any way.     | gagent en rien mon employeur.  |
|_____________________________________|________________________________/

Tue, 03 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

> Watcom/Powersoft/whoever who used to own VX-Rexx has dropped it. That's a good
> enough reason to stay away from the product, regardless of its technical
> merits.
> I can't comment on VisPro Rexx as I've never used it. You might also want to
> look
> into DrDialog, an IBM EWS available on the DevCon CDs (although it dates back
> bit and lacks the Warp 4's controls ; apart from that it's working fine).

I really don't understand the logic here:
VX-Rexx is/was a fine, successful product that has many supporters,
but will no longer be supported.  Therefore don't use it any more.

IBM EWS software (of any flavour) is/was a fine, successful product
that has many supporters, but never was and never will be supported.
Therefore use it (especially in preference to the preceding).

Huh?

--
Trevor Grove
Consulting Researcher, Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo

Wed, 04 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

>> Watcom/Powersoft/whoever who used to own VX-Rexx has dropped it. That's a good
>> enough reason to stay away from the product, regardless of its technical
>> merits.
>> I can't comment on VisPro Rexx as I've never used it. You might also want to
>> look
>> into DrDialog, an IBM EWS available on the DevCon CDs (although it dates back
>> bit and lacks the Warp 4's controls ; apart from that it's working fine).

>I really don't understand the logic here:
>VX-Rexx is/was a fine, successful product that has many supporters,
>but will no longer be supported.  Therefore don't use it any more.

>IBM EWS software (of any flavour) is/was a fine, successful product
>that has many supporters, but never was and never will be supported.
>Therefore use it (especially in preference to the preceding).

>Huh?

>--
>Trevor Grove
>Consulting Researcher, Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo
>Waterloo, Ontario,  CANADA  N2L 3G1

Maybe I can clear this up.  The purchase price of VX-REXX is how much? say
some amount >> $0.  The purchase price of an EWS such as Dr. D is == $0.
Now if one owns VX-REXX (which I do) then I can kind of understand your
confusion (particularly since VX-REXX is a nice product).  But if someone where
in the market for a 'visual' REXX package I would recommend looking first at Dr. D
to see it would suit their needs.  If it doesn't meet those needs then I would
recommend that they evaluate a product that appears to still be supportted, such
as VisPro.

Dave

===================================
David M. O'Donnell
Innovative Engineering & Technology
Syracuse, NY  13206

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

> >> I can't comment on VisPro Rexx as I've never used it. You might also want to
> >> look
> >> into DrDialog, an IBM EWS available on the DevCon CDs (although it dates back
> >> bit and lacks the Warp 4's controls ; apart from that it's working fine).

> >I really don't understand the logic here:
> >VX-Rexx is/was a fine, successful product that has many supporters,
> >but will no longer be supported.  Therefore don't use it any more.

> >IBM EWS software (of any flavour) is/was a fine, successful product
> >that has many supporters, but never was and never will be supported.
> >Therefore use it (especially in preference to the preceding).

> >Huh?

> >--

> Maybe I can clear this up.  The purchase price of VX-REXX is how much? say
> some amount >> $0.  The purchase price of an EWS such as Dr. D is == $0.
> Now if one owns VX-REXX (which I do) then I can kind of understand your
> confusion (particularly since VX-REXX is a nice product).  But if someone where
> in the market for a 'visual' REXX package I would recommend looking first at Dr. D
> to see it would suit their needs.  If it doesn't meet those needs then I would
> recommend that they evaluate a product that appears to still be supportted, such
> as VisPro.

However, as far as I can tell, the only way to get the free EWS called
Dr.Dialog, you must subscribe to the not free DevCon CD,  which takes us
back to '>> $0' (my Indelible Blue catalog says $199/year.)  Now, this
purchase would give one much more than just Dr. Dialog, and for anyone
more than just slightly interested in program development under OS/2,
would probably be a good purchase anyway.

By the way, I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm really pretty
certain that purchasing DevCon is the only way to get Dr. Dialog (and
I'm not really sure why).  If anyone happens to know of a site or BBS
where one could download Dr. Dialog, and would happen to publish it to
this group, I, for one, would be more than happy to give it a try.

Thanks for listening.

Barry

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

> writes:
> :>
> :>Re the two software packages mentioned in the subject: anyone care to give an opinion on which is better and why?
> :>
> :>TIA,
> :>Leonard

> Watcom/Powersoft/whoever who used to own VX-Rexx has dropped it. That's a good
> enough reason to stay away from the product, regardless of its technical
> merits.

Why?  I have a software package that the company went out of biz.  I
paid a lot ofr it, and when I first heard the news, I was kinda bummed.
Then I looked at it this way.
THe prgram works quite well.  No real bugs, and I don't want for any
features, who cares?

Quote:
> I can't comment on VisPro Rexx as I've never used it. You might also want to
> look
> into DrDialog, an IBM EWS available on the DevCon CDs (although it dates back
> bit and lacks the Warp 4's controls ; apart from that it's working fine).

I had probs with Dr. Diaglog. With Warp 3.0 I could nver see the editor
window.  THe text was always black on black (makes debugging a little
tougher :)

Now with Warp 4.0 it won't make the exe.  Other then that, its really
cool and the price is right. :)
 --

foil is s rush"
Triak #35              "Life is a reach, then you gybe"

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

>> >I really don't understand the logic here:
>> >VX-Rexx is/was a fine, successful product that has many supporters,
>> >but will no longer be supported.  Therefore don't use it any more.

>> >IBM EWS software (of any flavour) is/was a fine, successful product
>> >that has many supporters, but never was and never will be supported.
>> >Therefore use it (especially in preference to the preceding).

>> >Huh?

>> >--

>> Maybe I can clear this up.  The purchase price of VX-REXX is how much? say
>> some amount >> $0.  The purchase price of an EWS such as Dr. D is == $0.
>> Now if one owns VX-REXX (which I do) then I can kind of understand your
>> confusion (particularly since VX-REXX is a nice product).  But if someone where
>> in the market for a 'visual' REXX package I would recommend looking first at Dr. D
>> to see it would suit their needs.  If it doesn't meet those needs then I would
>> recommend that they evaluate a product that appears to still be supportted, such
>> as VisPro.

>However, as far as I can tell, the only way to get the free EWS called
>Dr.Dialog, you must subscribe to the not free DevCon CD,  which takes us
>back to '>> $0' (my Indelible Blue catalog says $199/year.)  Now, this
>purchase would give one much more than just Dr. Dialog, and for anyone
>more than just slightly interested in program development under OS/2,
>would probably be a good purchase anyway.

>By the way, I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm really pretty
>certain that purchasing DevCon is the only way to get Dr. Dialog (and
>I'm not really sure why).  If anyone happens to know of a site or BBS
>where one could download Dr. Dialog, and would happen to publish it to
>this group, I, for one, would be more than happy to give it a try.

>Thanks for listening.

>Barry

You may be correct about Dr. D only being available on DevCon and I thought
I was being such a smarty with me answer:).  I received two Devcon distributions
after purchase VisualAge C++, which is where I obtained a copy of Dr. D.  I was
equating software termed 'EWS' as being available via IBM's EWS site, but
for some reason this is not always true.  Another EWS program I found on one
of the DevCon CDs is PMDraw (a pretty nice vector drawing program) -- but
when I search for it (i.e. an update) at the EWS site it was not to be found.
Go figure.

Dave

===================================
David M. O'Donnell
Innovative Engineering & Technology
Syracuse, NY  13206

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Dave,

Quote:
> recommend that they evaluate a product that appears to still be >supportted, such
> as VisPro.

VisPro is definitely still supported. We just shipped version 3.1 of
VisPro/REXX Gold for Warp 4.0. We are also just about the only
programming tool vendor to provide any free tech support.

--
Dave Hock

http://www.vispro.com
Come See How Visual Basic Just Got More Visual

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

Quote:

> >I really don't understand the logic here:
> >VX-Rexx is/was a fine, successful product that has many supporters,
> >but will no longer be supported.  Therefore don't use it any more.

> >IBM EWS software (of any flavour) is/was a fine, successful product
> >that has many supporters, but never was and never will be supported.
> >Therefore use it (especially in preference to the preceding).
> Maybe I can clear this up.  The purchase price of VX-REXX is how much? say
> some amount >> $0.  The purchase price of an EWS such as Dr. D is == $0.
> Now if one owns VX-REXX (which I do) then I can kind of understand your
> confusion (particularly since VX-REXX is a nice product).  But if someone where
> in the market for a 'visual' REXX package I would recommend looking first at Dr. D
> to see it would suit their needs.  If it doesn't meet those needs then I would
> recommend that they evaluate a product that appears to still be supportted, such
> as VisPro.

The original postings never mentioned cost as a decision point.  The decision
was based on functionality and support.

Support:
  I observed that EWS and VX-REXX both have the same support -- none.

Functionality:
  I have no experience with the EWS product, but others have reported
  that it "more or less works once you figure it out from the basically
  nonexistent manual" [my paraphrasing].  Hence, I believe that VX-REXX
  has superior functionality.

Now, if you want to factor price into the decision, you must also factor your
internal costs into the decision.  If your time is zero-cost (eg you can
afford to spend an arbitrary and unbounded amount of time figuring something
out), then the choice is clear:  get the "free" software.

However, if you value your time, you might find that spending some real
money on a better-documented  and more complete product is a more effective
deployment of capital.

Note that this argument would be skewed if either product offered support,
but since neither does, support is non sequitor [assuming that support
can reduce development time by speeding up "figuring out" a problem].

If someone is in the market for a "visual" REXX package, they should get
the cheapest package that solves the problem.  If "solving the problem"
requires support, so be it, but remember that support costs (whether
it is built into the cost of the product or paid separately).  As VisPro
grows and its installed-customer base grows, it will undoubtedly follow
every other organization in the industry, and start charging for
support (either by per-indicent charges or by increasing the frequency
of chargeable releases of software).

I believe that many people do not need or use active support.  In this case
the choice between the EWS product and VX-REXX comes down to
which once solves the problem at an acceptable development cost.
I contend that VX-REXX will be better in this respect, even if it costs money
to purchase.

--
Trevor Grove
Consulting Researcher, Computer Systems Group, University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario,  CANADA  N2L 3G1

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

3. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

4. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

5. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

6. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

7. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

8. Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

9. Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

10. VXREXX vs VISPRO REXX (IMHO)

11. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx