Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???
Author Message
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

I am unable to execute/call another REXX program from one currently
running on OS/2.  I get violation messages everytime I try.  I also
cannot find any documentation stating that this is allowed/possible.

I call other REXX programs on TSO and will be disappointed if this is
not possible on OS/2.  It means I have to put all my code in one
program if this is true.

If anyone else has done this I would certainly appreciate any
information to either clear up my ignorance, confirm my knowledge or
solve the problem.

Thanks,
John Megert

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

Quote:
>I am unable to execute/call another REXX program from one currently
>running on OS/2.  I get violation messages everytime I try.  I also
>cannot find any documentation stating that this is allowed/possible.

Here are two programs:

  /* temp1.cmd */
  say 'In temp1.cmd'
  call temp2

  /* temp2.cmd */
  say 'In temp2.cmd'

On invoking 'temp1' from the command line in an OS/2 window, I get:

  In temp1.cmd
  In temp2.cmd

--
Mike Cowlishaw, IBM Fellow
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

Quote:
>I am unable to execute/call another REXX program from one currently
>running on OS/2.  I get violation messages everytime I try.  I also
>cannot find any documentation stating that this is allowed/possible.

>John Megert

The easiest way is to use the following line:

call pgm

where pgm.cmd begins with /* in column one and has a */ somewhere
before the actual procedure, and the pgm.cmd file is in the search path or
current.  Stating the full path is not flexible, but adding .cmd is better
practice.

Warren
http://www.borg.com/~warren

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

Quote:
>Here are two programs:

>  /* temp1.cmd */
>  say 'In temp1.cmd'
>  call temp2

>  /* temp2.cmd */
>  say 'In temp2.cmd'

>On invoking 'temp1' from the command line in an OS/2 window, I get:

>  In temp1.cmd
>  In temp2.cmd

>--
>Mike Cowlishaw, IBM Fellow
>http://www2.hursley.ibm.com

Hi, Mike:

Of course that works.  But, there are some mistakes that could look like an
interpreter or system failure.

For instance, in OS/2 (at least in Warp Connect RedSpine),
if the comment on line 1 of temp1.cmd starts in column 1, rather than column 2,
one gets:

[E:\]temp1

[E:\]/* temp1.cmd */

[E:\]say 'In temp1.cmd'
SYS1041: The name specified is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

[E:\]call temp2
     3 *-*   Say 'In temp2.cmd';
       >>>     "In temp2.cmd"
In temp2.cmd
[E:\]

A potentially frustrating bug, until one finds the cause....

-BOBm

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

Quote:

>Of course that works.  But, there are some mistakes that could look like an
>interpreter or system failure.

Wasn't your original post stating that it didn't work?  That was what Mike was
responding to.  If the problem you are having is not calling another REXX
procedure, you need to state specifically what your problem is so that it can be
responded to.

Quote:
>For instance, in OS/2 (at least in Warp Connect RedSpine),
>if the comment on line 1 of temp1.cmd starts in column 1, rather than column 2,
>one gets:

Actually, you mean if it starts in column 2, rather than in column 1, you get the
following:

Quote:
>[E:\]temp1

>[E:\]/* temp1.cmd */

>[E:\]say 'In temp1.cmd'
>SYS1041: The name specified is not recognized as an
>internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

>[E:\]call temp2
>     3 *-*   Say 'In temp2.cmd';
>       >>>     "In temp2.cmd"
>In temp2.cmd
>[E:\]

>A potentially frustrating bug, until one finds the cause...

The text states "All REXX procedures must begin with a comment starting in
column one of line one.".  The error has nothing to do with calling another REXX
program, but that temp1.cmd was not syntactically correct.  Again, as I
asked above, what exactly is the problem you were asking about?

     don friedel jr.

     (The opinions expressed here are my own. BMC Software, Inc. makes)
     (no representations or promises regarding the reliability,       )
     (completeness, or accuracy of the information provided in this   )
     (discussion; all readers agree not to rely on or take any action )
     (against BMC Software in response to this information.           )

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Can OS/2 REXX call OS/2 REXX-???

Quote:
>The text states "All REXX procedures must begin with a comment starting in
>column one of line one.".  The error has nothing to do with calling another REXX
>program, but that temp1.cmd was not syntactically correct.  Again, as I
>asked above, what exactly is the problem you were asking about?

>     don friedel jr.

>     (The opinions expressed here are my own. BMC Software, Inc. makes)
>     (no representations or promises regarding the reliability,       )
>     (completeness, or accuracy of the information provided in this   )
>     (discussion; all readers agree not to rely on or take any action )
>     (against BMC Software in response to this information.           )

Hi, Don:

Nolo Contendere.

I'm not the original poster, just another bystander trying to
clarify the situation.

-BOBm

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. external rexx function calls (OS/2 REXX)

2. OS/2: Rexx Script from Win-OS file manager

3. Q:Using REXX under OS/2 how can you change an OS/2 window size

4. REXX-OS/2 and ECI for CICS-OS/2

5. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx

6. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

7. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

8. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

9. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

10. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

11. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

12. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2