stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem
Author Message
 stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem with the stream('file','c','seek ='x)
function in Classic Rexx, OS/2 Warp 4, FP1.

If I do:

 stream('file','c','open read')
 stream('file','c','seek ='x)

the read pointer does not move to x but says at 0 (the stream function
returns NULL).

If I do:

 stream('file','c','open read')
 linein('file')
 stream('file','c','seek ='x)

Then the read pointer moves to the correct position in the file (stream
funtion returns x).

Has anyone else notice this problem?

William H. Geiger III   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    Cooking With Warp 4.0

Fri, 08 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

Quote:

> Hi,

> I seem to be having a problem with the stream('file','c','seek ='x)
> function in Classic Rexx, OS/2 Warp 4, FP1.

> If I do:

>  stream('file','c','open read')
>  stream('file','c','seek ='x)

> the read pointer does not move to x but says at 0 (the stream function
> returns NULL).

I think you actually want:

stream(file,'c','open read')
linein(file)
stream(file,'c','seek ='x)

(unless the literal "file" is the actual name of your input file) -
otherwise,
it would make sense a file name "file" doesn't exist and you would
receive
the NULL.  The modified statements reference a file name contained in
the
variable file...

Quote:
>  stream('file','c','open read')
>  linein('file')
>  stream('file','c','seek ='x)

> Then the read pointer moves to the correct position in the file (stream
> funtion returns x).

| J. Turincs - Database and Operating systems
|              Mainframes and PCs

Sat, 09 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

Quote:
>Hi,

>I seem to be having a problem with the stream('file','c','seek ='x)
>function in Classic Rexx, OS/2 Warp 4, FP1.

>If I do:

> stream('file','c','open read')
> stream('file','c','seek ='x)

>the read pointer does not move to x but says at 0 (the stream function
>returns NULL).

>If I do:

> stream('file','c','open read')
> linein('file')
> stream('file','c','seek ='x)

>Then the read pointer moves to the correct position in the file (stream
>funtion returns x).

>Has anyone else notice this problem?

Not exactly that problem, but another where Classic ReXX's syntax for the stream
seek command will create a syntax error under Object ReXX, and Object ReXX's
syntax for it will create a syntax error under Classic ReXX.

The difference in the 'seek' stream command Classic ReXX vs. Object ReXX is:
Object ReXX requires the use of the word read or write, whereas Classic Rexx does not

      call stream hosts_dat, 'c', 'seek ='5
works under Classic ReXX but not Object ReXX
whereas
      call stream hosts_dat, 'c', 'seek ='5 'read'
works under Object but not Classic

--

Jerry Levy      Marblehead, MA (USA)

Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

Quote:
>I seem to be having a problem with the stream('file','c','seek ='x)

I might add (though it's probably too late) that what you've got there
is a syntax error because it looks like a literal hex string ('seek ='x)
but doesn't contain valid hex characters.
--

------ http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/imc.html

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://rexx.hursley.ibm.com/rexx/ .

Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

2. Problem with ''Mailbox''

3. There is an 'U'|'X'|'W'|'Z'|'-' in an arithmetic operand

4. 'send' problems with xauth - help sought

5. ( 2.31.New operators: 'eq', 'ne', 'last', '..' ) ?

6. 'file mkdir' doesn't fail

7. What means, e.g., ('';'/')"_

8. 'C'/'C++', ADA OPPORTUNITIES/Phoenix(Software Developer/Integration Test Engineer)

9. STRING 'make'/'remake'

10. kill '-SIGHUP', pgid -vs- kill 'SIGHUP', 0

11. question: 'A'..'k'