OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands
Author Message
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

How can I suppress this behaviour?

--

8 Belinda Avenue, Cloverdale,  W.A.                           /      \
Phone +61 9 478 1406 (GMT+8)                                  *_.--._/

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 06:15:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

Quote:

> I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
> that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

> How can I suppress this behaviour?

this:

    /* REXX */

Regards,
-anders

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 11:13:39 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

Quote:

>> I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
>> that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

>> How can I suppress this behaviour?

>this:

>    /* REXX */

And if your first command happens to be 'echo off', as in

    /* REXX */

none of the subsequent commands will be echoed either (ie, you don't

Patrick Mueller  | IBM Software Solutions, Cary NC; 919-469-7242, tie 883

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 06:46:56 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

Quote:
>I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
>that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

>How can I suppress this behaviour?

>--

It is not REXX that is echoing the commands, it is the command processor
that is.  So.. you need to tell the command processor to turn off
command echo.

This can be slightly confusing until you understand that Rexx passes all
unknown "statements" to the current sub-command processor.  The default
sub-command processor for a .CMD file is: CMD.  This is the same
command processor that a non-Rexx .CMD file will use, and so the
behavior will be the same.

+--------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| +-----+                              | Cheyenne Wills                  |
| |     |      "From here on up it is  | Storage Technology Corporation  |
| |  +--+--+     downhill all the way" | 2270 South 88th St.             |
| |  |  |  |                           | Louisville, Co. 80028-4232      |
| +--+--+  |   These are not the       |                                 |

+--------------------------------------+---------------------------------+

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 07:24:24 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands
The past two messages to our query are the two ways to suppress the ECHO of

and do echo to the screen.

I might be stating the obvious but, if you want the output (both standard and
error) to NOT appear on your screen then you'll need to redirect it to somewhere
else besides the default (which is the screen).  For example, if you want to NOT
see the results of the OS/2 copy command when you run your REXX script you could
do it as follows:

'COPY first.fil second.fil 1>NUL 2>NUL'        /*Redirect outputs to NUL*/

With the above you won't see anything on the screen when the COPY command is
executed.  Of course the downside of this is you won't know if the COPY command
failed or was successful.  If that is needed then redirect the outputs to a file
(to be read latter) or to the REXX system queue (to be read within the same REXX
script or any other REXX script running on the same machine.)  The REXX queue
feature is a very powerful option.  If you need more details on it please let me
know.  I would suggest that you read the documentation on it first though.  My
first reading of the REXX queues feature left me a little perplexed but, after
working with it for awhile it has proved very useful.

Enjoy!
Charlie
I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed that it
to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

How can I suppress this behaviour?

--

Belinda Avenue, Cloverdale,  W.A.                           /      \ Phone +61
9 478 1406 (GMT+8)                                  *_.--._/

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 16:27:08 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

Quote:

> > I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
> > that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

> > How can I suppress this behaviour?

> this:

>     /* REXX */

Or, just put...

  /* REXX */

at the begining of your procedure.

Regards,
David McAnally
CSS Applications Engineering
Motorola

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 05:24:18 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands
Actually, nothing to do with suppressing anything.  I just noticed your
address.  A (very) long time ago I lived in Kewdale.  In those days
substantial areas of the suburb were wetlands and I remember canoeing on
the swamps during winter.  Your name suggests Dutch ancestry.  Certainly
in the 1950s Dutch immigrants comprised a substantial part of the local
population and the majority of my friends.

It is a long time since I was anywhere near Cloverdale ...

Just reminiscing.  No reply needed.

Sun, 09 Jun 1996 09:20:49 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands

Quote:

> I've been playing with the Rexx that comes with OS/2 2.1 and noticed
> that it to echo to the screen any external commands issued.

> How can I suppress this behaviour?

unless I'm debugging, when it's set to ''.

e.g.

DEBUG'DIR 'mydirline

This means you can see the commands when you have problems, if
you want to ...

Dac

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 17:57:12 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx: Supressing echoing of external commands
Thank you to all those who replied.

--

8 Belinda Avenue, Cloverdale,  W.A.                           /      \
Phone +61 9 478 1406 (GMT+8)                                  *_.--._/

Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:06:23 GMT

1. Need help launching external non rexx command using VXREXX (VIO support needed) in OS/2

2. OS/2 Rexx: Supressing ec

3. external rexx function calls (OS/2 REXX)

4. OS/2 system command in Rexx command files.

5. Rexx external functions in OS/2

6. external functions with rexx for OS/2 2.0

7. HELP: External command (Subcommand) handler to update REXX parameters

8. lower case External command problem from REXX-NetView/390

9. lower case External command problem from REXX-NetView/390

10. NULling OS/2 Commands in a REXX .CMD

11. OS/2 Command within VX-REXX

12. passing commands from os/2 rexx