How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO 
Author Message
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO

Hi Guys,
I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of REXX
execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
unfortunately).
Any ideas on how to do it ????

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Matteo Ferrari



Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:16:21 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO


Quote:
> Hi Guys,
> I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of REXX
> execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
> Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
> unfortunately).
> Any ideas on how to do it ????
> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Matteo Ferrari

Allocate a card image dataset to VIO or SYSDA and write idcmas sysin into
it to do what you want.  Allocate SYSPRINT to sysout or a dataset then
call IDCAMS.  When I say "call" you'd probably need one of the mor
obscure address environments like LINKMVS or ATTCHMVS.

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:04:48 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
Thanks for the idea, however, I cannot use SYSIN because it is already
allocated for other purposes and I cannot override.
What I need is really to develop some external calls that do the work and
that i CALL from inside REXX (sigh!!)
Matteo



Quote:


> > Hi Guys,
> > I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of
REXX
> > execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
> > Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
> > unfortunately).
> > Any ideas on how to do it ????

> > Any help will be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Matteo Ferrari

> Allocate a card image dataset to VIO or SYSDA and write idcmas sysin into
> it to do what you want.  Allocate SYSPRINT to sysout or a dataset then
> call IDCAMS.  When I say "call" you'd probably need one of the mor
> obscure address environments like LINKMVS or ATTCHMVS.

> --
> Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:33:56 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO


:>I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of REXX
:>execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
:>Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
:>unfortunately).
:>Any ideas on how to do it ????

Can you give more precise details of what you are trying to do?

As you are allocating and deleting, why not put in a DD statement?

--


http://www.dissensoftware.com

Director, Dissen Software, Bar & Grill - Israel



Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:25:23 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO


Quote:
> Thanks for the idea, however, I cannot use SYSIN because it is already
> allocated for other purposes and I cannot override.

You should be able to free and subsequently reallocate sysin i think;
otherwise there might be a parm that allows you to call idcams and
specify a different dd for input - thee often is on utility programs for
this sort of reason.

Also, why exactly can't you use tso?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:41:10 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that uses
REXX execs to be governed.
These rules take and give control back; based on the logic, product's
behaviour changes.
This product has its own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it.
I'm thinking to involve some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make
them write some external calls...
Matteo Ferrari



Quote:


> > Thanks for the idea, however, I cannot use SYSIN because it is already
> > allocated for other purposes and I cannot override.
> You should be able to free and subsequently reallocate sysin i think;
> otherwise there might be a parm that allows you to call idcams and
> specify a different dd for input - thee often is on utility programs for
> this sort of reason.

> Also, why exactly can't you use tso?

> --
> Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:05:12 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO


Quote:
> I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that
> uses REXX execs to be governed. These rules take and give control back;
> based on the logic, product's behaviour changes. This product has its
> own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it. I'm thinking to involve
> some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make them write some
> external calls... Matteo Ferrari

Ah I see.  Did you check out IDCAMS to see if there's a way to use a dd
other than sysin for it - if there is it would probably be described
jcl-wise as   //step EXEC PGM=IDCAMS,PARM=(SYSIN=FRED)

or some such expression.  As you'd be invoking it with eg ATTCHMVS as the
environment you'd probably need to build a string either as

   myparm = "SYSIN=FRED"  
   address attchmvs "IDCAMS myparm"

or myparm = d2x(10,2) || myparm            
   address attchmvs "IDCAMS myparm"

   (or whatever is needed to put a halfword length onto the front of the
    parm before calling it).  

Note that in these examples it is correct to have the parameter - ie
myparm - named inside the quoted text.  The attchmvs environment takes
the parm you name, finds its value, & builds an MVS standard parameter
list for (in this case IDCAMS) and then attaches it as a subtask.

If IDCAMS won't do this you could look at other site utility programs -
eg I know for certain that FileAid can be attached/linked to with its
ddnames specified as parms - but I don't know if you can make FileAid
do allocate/ delete.

What is the product concerned?

HTH

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Mon, 21 Jul 2003 05:40:25 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO

Quote:
>:>I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of REXX
>:>execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
>:>Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
>:>unfortunately).
>:>Any ideas on how to do it ????

www.cbttape.org file 352 R062A10/s062a10 will do the trick.  I think.

James Campbell
Hansen Corporation



Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:45:33 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
You can run TSO in batch mode too. I have worked with someone who does this.
Would that solve your problem? If so, I will go find the guy, and get the full
details from him for you -  if no-one here explains it first!!

Ian

Quote:

> I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that uses
> REXX execs to be governed.
> These rules take and give control back; based on the logic, product's
> behaviour changes.
> This product has its own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it.
> I'm thinking to involve some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make
> them write some external calls...
> Matteo Ferrari





> > > Thanks for the idea, however, I cannot use SYSIN because it is already
> > > allocated for other purposes and I cannot override.
> > You should be able to free and subsequently reallocate sysin i think;
> > otherwise there might be a parm that allows you to call idcams and
> > specify a different dd for input - thee often is on utility programs for
> > this sort of reason.

> > Also, why exactly can't you use tso?

> > --
> > Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:17:34 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
I think I've seen most of the answers.
  1) Run "TSO Environment" in batch.  This is a stripped-down TSO
     that lets you do things like allocate.
  2) Use an interface to SVC99 (allocation/unallocation).
     I have done this and I believe I could dig up the code if
     you're interested.  (IIRC the C manuals give a C example of how
     to do this also.)  You allocate the dataset "OLD,DELETE",
     and when you unallocate it, it goes away.



Quote:
> Hi Guys,
> I need to allocate a dataset and eventually delete it in a series of
REXX
> execs running in native mode (so not under TSO).
> Because of this, I cannot use TSO services (and this is a must,
> unfortunately).
> Any ideas on how to do it ????

> Any help will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Matteo Ferrari

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/


Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:38:29 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO

Quote:

>You can run TSO in batch mode too. I have worked with someone who does this.
>Would that solve your problem? If so, I will go find the guy, and get the full
>details from him for you -  if no-one here explains it first!!

>Ian

You can also run IRXJCL which does not allow you to use most TSO commands
but does allow EXECIO. Check the IBM MVS REXX Reference for detailed
information.

--
Alan Forkosh



Thu, 24 Jul 2003 08:17:10 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
And what stops you from running TSO anyway? Just fire up TSO and use its
services. Since it reads SYSTSIN, it won't get in your way. Everything else
essentially means you write your own mini-TSO anyway, so you might just as
well use the real thing. And coding around SVC99 is a horror (and I've done
it!).


Quote:
> I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that uses
> REXX execs to be governed.
> These rules take and give control back; based on the logic, product's
> behaviour changes.
> This product has its own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it.
> I'm thinking to involve some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make
> them write some external calls...
> Matteo Ferrari





> > > Thanks for the idea, however, I cannot use SYSIN because it is already
> > > allocated for other purposes and I cannot override.
> > You should be able to free and subsequently reallocate sysin i think;
> > otherwise there might be a parm that allows you to call idcams and
> > specify a different dd for input - thee often is on utility programs for
> > this sort of reason.

> > Also, why exactly can't you use tso?

> > --
> > Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:31:49 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
In article


Quote:


> >You can run TSO in batch mode too. I have worked with someone who does
> >this. Would that solve your problem? If so, I will go find the guy,
> >and get the full details from him for you -  if no-one here explains
> >it first!!

> >Ian

> You can also run IRXJCL which does not allow you to use most TSO
> commands but does allow EXECIO. Check the IBM MVS REXX Reference for
> detailed information.

Matteo has already described his problem earlier in the thread as:

Quote:
> I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that
> uses REXX execs to be governed. These rules take and give control back;
> based on the logic, product's behaviour changes. This product has its
> own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it. I'm thinking to involve
> some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make them write some
> external calls...

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.


Fri, 25 Jul 2003 03:44:32 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO


Quote:
> And what stops you from running TSO anyway? Just fire up TSO and use
> its services. Since it reads SYSTSIN, it won't get in your way.
> Everything else essentially means you write your own mini-TSO anyway,
> so you might just as well use the real thing. And coding around SVC99
> is a horror (and I've done it!).

You should read the earlier entries in the thread.  Matteo has already
explained (to me) why this is not possible:

Quote:
> I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that
> uses REXX execs to be governed. These rules take and give control back;
> based on the logic, product's behaviour changes. This product has its
> own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it. I'm thinking to involve
> some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make them write some
> external calls...

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.


Fri, 25 Jul 2003 03:45:44 GMT  
 How to allocate and delete files when NOT running under TSO
I not only read them, I responded to exactly the comment you quoted. And
that comment isn't an answer, as it produced no reasons... The only
"half-reason" made concerned SYSIN, and I responded to that one by clearing
up the mistake.

I repeat, what stops him from running TSO anyway? It won't get in his way.



Quote:


> > And what stops you from running TSO anyway? Just fire up TSO and use
> > its services. Since it reads SYSTSIN, it won't get in your way.
> > Everything else essentially means you write your own mini-TSO anyway,
> > so you might just as well use the real thing. And coding around SVC99
> > is a horror (and I've done it!).

> You should read the earlier entries in the thread.  Matteo has already
> explained (to me) why this is not possible:

> > I'm working with a prodcut that runs in batch (without TSO), and that
> > uses REXX execs to be governed. These rules take and give control back;
> > based on the logic, product's behaviour changes. This product has its
> > own sysin for its commands, so I can't use it. I'm thinking to involve
> > some colleagues experts in ASSEMBLER/370 to make them write some
> > external calls...

> --
> Jeremy C B Nicoll - my opinions are my own.



Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:41:58 GMT  
 
 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. OS/390: Avoiding Message IKJ56247I FILE XYZ NOT FREED, IS NOT ALLOCATED

2. TSO ALLOCATE OF DSN(GDG(+1))

3. TSO allocate question

4. Deleted procs not deleted???

5. delete or not to delete

6. File Delete does not work in W2000

7. Why can I not delete my test file?

8. Temporary files not getting deleted (or created!)

9. IBM XLF Fortran does not delete files correctly

10. Can delete file, but not open it...

11. Delete all files in Dir or delete Dir

12. Running TSO in batch and capturing SYSTSPRT

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software