REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)
Author Message
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Can someone explain to me 'Object REXX' and 'NetREXX'?
And their respective places and purposes in the computing world?

I do have 'The REXX Language' and 'NetREXX' by Mike Cowlishaw.
NetREXX both looks like REXX, *and* differs significantly.

Note that I've done casual programming in (classic?) REXX on my PC,
and used REXX to write at least two fair-sized applications back in
my sys-admin days (IBM VM/CMS), but have been out of touch with the
computing world the past three years.

It really gets complicated when seeing 'java' and 'virtual machines'
mentioned in the same sentence...

Regards, and thanks in advance.

"Life is a {*filter*}, and then you have to catch up..."

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> Can someone explain to me 'Object REXX' and 'NetREXX'?
> And their respective places and purposes in the computing world?

Object REXX is basically a new version of REXX, with a number of
extensions. Among other things, it allows you to pass variables to
external procedures. The "object" in the name refers to the ability to
define classes and to encapsulate data.

NetREXX is a new language that inherits a lot from Object REXX but that
is intended to be suitable for compiling into Java byte code.

Quote:
> It really gets complicated when seeing 'java' and 'virtual machines'
> mentioned in the same sentence...

The Java VM is like the old P-Systems P-code interpreter.

Quote:

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:
>Can someone explain to me 'Object REXX' and 'NetREXX'?
>And their respective places and purposes in the computing world?

NetRexx - Write rexx-like source (being as java like as you like) and compile
it out to java byte code. Result... your program runs like anyother java
applet or application on any platform that has a JVM...

ObjectRexx - Write rexx-like source code. Run it on whatever platform that
supports it as ObjectRexx. As far as I know, only OS/2, win95 and winnt have
ObjectRexx.

Quote:
>I do have 'The REXX Language' and 'NetREXX' by Mike Cowlishaw.
>NetREXX both looks like REXX, *and* differs significantly.

No more than ObjectRexx differs from clasic rexx. Actually, NetRexx is simpler
to work with and reaches more platforms than orexx...

Quote:
>Note that I've done casual programming in (classic?) REXX on my PC,
>and used REXX to write at least two fair-sized applications back in
>my sys-admin days (IBM VM/CMS), but have been out of touch with the
>computing world the past three years.

>It really gets complicated when seeing 'java' and 'virtual machines'
>mentioned in the same sentence...

?

Quote:
>"Life is a {*filter*}, and then you have to catch up..."

Actually, "Life is a {*filter*}... and here she comes..."

--

/-------------------------------------\

\-------------------------------------/

Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

[snip]

Quote:
> > It really gets complicated when seeing 'java' and 'virtual machines'
> > mentioned in the same sentence...

> The Java VM is like the old P-Systems P-code interpreter.

Can you say "forth"???

Duane Bozarth

Mon, 27 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> [snip]

> > > It really gets complicated when seeing 'java' and 'virtual machines'
> > > mentioned in the same sentence...

> > The Java VM is like the old P-Systems P-code interpreter.

> Can you say "forth"???

Can you say UNCOL?

--
                                        -- Aron

        "Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."
                -- Chief Dan George, in "Little Big Man"

        NB: Om du vil svare med e-post, m? du fjerne "spam-block." fr?
adressa mi.
        NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, you will have to remove the
"spam-block." from my address.

Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> Can you say UNCOL?

All the UNCOL articles that I saw talked solely about compiling to and
from it, not interpreting it. How about IPL-V?

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Sat, 01 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> > Can you say UNCOL?

No, can't say as I can....please enlighten.

Duane

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> > > Can you say UNCOL?

> No, can't say as I can....please enlighten.

UNCOL (if I remember correctly) stood for Unified Computer-Oriented
Language. It was an attempt to build a portable virtual machine back in
the '50s. Unfortunately, the hardware of the day was too slow for it to
be viable. The Java Virtual Machine is just a newer (somewhat more
successful) attempt at doing the same. There have been others in
between, though: e.g. the UCSD Pascal system that ran on many different
microcomputers (in the days before the IBM PC came into existence) also
translated Pascal to the machine language of a virtual computer and then
interpreted that code at run-time.

--
                                        -- Aron

        "Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."
                -- Chief Dan George, in "Little Big Man"

        NB: Om du vil svare med e-post, m? du fjerne "spam-block." fr?
adressa mi.
        NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, you will have to remove the
"spam-block." from my address.

Wed, 05 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

Quote:

> UNCOL (if I remember correctly) stood for Unified Computer-Oriented
> Language.

Universal Computer Oriented Language.

Quote:
> It was an attempt to build a portable virtual machine back in
> the '50s.

No, a universal intermediate language.

Quote:
> The Java Virtual Machine is just a newer (somewhat more
> successful) attempt at doing the same.

No, the Java VM only interprets Java. Nobody that I know of is seriously
suggesting translating assembler into Java or Java into assembler as a
means of porting code from one platform to another.

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Fri, 07 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

|     No, the Java VM only interprets Java. Nobody that I know of is seriously
Not quite true...the Java VM interprets Java BYTECODES. These bytecodes are
generated from some source language, such as NetRexx, NetCOBOL, Ada95 or
Java...

|     suggesting translating assembler into Java or Java into assembler as a
|     means of porting code from one platform to another.
Which assembler? Bytecode asm? :)
dIon            Multitask Consulting
Work:           http://www.multitask.com.au
NetRexx:        http://www.multitask.com.au/netrexx
RxExtras:       http://www.multitask.com.au/rxextras
If all the world is a stage where is my copy of the damn script?

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

2. NetRexx 2 -- interpreted Rexx for Java

3. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

4. Netrexx v Object Rexx

5. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

6. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

7. Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?

8. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

9. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

10. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

11. Object REXX/VX-REXX DB problems

12. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2