Determining Fixed Drives From Floppy Drives
Author Message
 Determining Fixed Drives From Floppy Drives

How can I determine if a drive is fixed drive or a floppy?  Is it safe to assume
that A: and B: are floppies and anything above that is fixed?

-----------------------
: Conrado P. Cortez    :

-----------------------

Wed, 27 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining Fixed Drives From Floppy Drives

Quote:

>How can I determine if a drive is fixed drive or a floppy?  Is it safe to assume
>that A: and B: are floppies and anything above that is fixed?

It should be safe to assume A: and B: are floppies.  If by fixed you
simply mean "not a floppy" then it's reasonably safe (i.e. not foolproof
but sufficient for 99.9% of systems out there) to assume drives above B:
are fixed.

If fixed really means not-removable, however, you can't assume.  There
are things like CD-ROM and Bernoulli drives that are not fixed but which
are generally above B:.

OS/2 REXX has functions SysDriveMap(), which can identify local vs.
remote drives and which are used, and SysDriveInfo(), which can give
label and size info for a single drive.  You could use the latter to
give you a total capacity number which would generally let you confirm
whether a drive above B: is big enough to be fixed... I don't have a
perfect solution for you without using an external program (which is an
excellent idea, since REXX is designed to interface well in that way).

 Peter HANSEN                                     Engenuity Corporation

 http://www.sentex.net/~engcorp/peter/

Mon, 01 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. unable to determine if a floppy in drive!

2. Copy file from network drive to local drive?

3. Listing Valid Drives and Drive Types

4. I look for a vi which allows to drive a stepper motor drive

5. Can I use Keithley 2182 drive instead of Keithley 181 drive with slight variations

6. Relation logical drive - physical drive ?

7. Copy files from floppy drives

8. Windows XP COPY TO Floppy Drive

9. Floppy and Hard Drive

10. Booting from floppy drive