OREXX newbie (help anyone?)
Author Message
 OREXX newbie (help anyone?)

To anyone with OREXX for windows experience,

I just installed OREXX for windows.  Two small problems
emerge right away.

1) How do you "see" the documents that are in postscript (*.ps)
format?  Does anyone outside an office actually have a postscript
printer?  Isn't there some way for non-postscript setups to be
able to view (and print) these books that come with OREXX?
(I downloaded the copyrighted, but free, ghostscript program
but it wouldn't process these OREXX postscript books - got an
immediate error on all three of them).

2)I tried to modify the FACTOR.REX program that comes with SAMPLES
so that the numeric DIGITS is a greater number (like 18 or 21 or
even more...), but it didn't make any difference to the output.
To be sure, I ran a similar factorial program with the 16-bit REXX
where I increased numeric digits and it worked over there just fine.
But when I disabled the 16-bit REXX, and tried to get DIGITS up
to a larger number using FACTOR.REX under SAMPLES with OREXX, it
just wouldn't make any difference.  What gives?  Is there something
peculiar about "classes" that refuse to recognize a "global" change
to the DIGITS setting?   See if any of you out there will try what
I did.  Just stick one little line in the FACTOR.REX program under
you SAMPLES directory, and say numeric DIGITS 21, and then see that
it doesn't honor that command.  Or maybe I am doing something wrong.
Help,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:35:47 GMT
 OREXX newbie (help anyone?)
Hello Jerry!

Quote:
> 1) How do you "see" the documents that are in postscript (*.ps)
> format?  Does anyone outside an office actually have a postscript
> printer?  Isn't there some way for non-postscript setups to be
> able to view (and print) these books that come with OREXX?

We're also providing the documents in Portable Document Format
(PDF) - use the Acrobat Reader from Adobe to view & print them.
You can get the Acrobat Reader from here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

Quote:
> 2)I tried to modify the FACTOR.REX program that comes with SAMPLES
> so that the numeric DIGITS is a greater number (like 18 or 21 or
> even more...), but it didn't make any difference to the output.

(snipped the rest)
Yes, it is as you suspected: This is a question of scope. If you set
numeric
digits in the "main" part it will only affect numeric digit settings
there. Because
the method has its own scope, it will use the default value for numeric
digits.
Because numbers are represented as strings, the result will be returned
as
a string; no check for numeric digits takes place. There are two ways
around
this:
a) Change the local numeric digits settings in the method:
::method factorial
  numeric digits 21

b) Perform a numeric operation on the result that you get back:
numeric digits 20
say number 'factorial is' (0+factorial_class~new(number)~factorial)

If you're new to Object REXX, don't let the complicated construction of
this
example intimidate you. You can use some advanced features of the object

orientation as demonstrated in that example, but you don't have to, you
can
also to a lot of very elegant and straightforward things with the object
orientation
of Object REXX....

Kind regards,
Jan Engehausen, REXX Development, IBM Germany

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:50:38 GMT
 OREXX newbie (help anyone?)
Thanks, Jan, to both questions.  I saw that I could
download the PDF versions for free, and the "scope"
concept does make sense.  I am a long time user
of the REXX version I got with PCDOS 7.0 (years ago),
and so this new OREXX is goint to take some getting
used to, but I am thinking the extra features are
well worth it, especially since I can extend it via
C programs.  I am surely going to miss being able
to gin up quicky *.RX com-like files as I could
with the 16-bit version, but getting full access
to 32-bit windows functions is more than worth it.
Thanks again.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:19:41 GMT

1. Anyone have a sample of GetFileNameWindow orexx 2.1?

2. Win/ORexx DLL written in Delphi anyone?

3. Can anyone help a "newbie"?

4. Newbie Question about OREXX

5. Help: ORexx crashing on MSSOAP client method call

6. ORexx - Need help with Subclassing

7. help-Orexx and numeric digits

8. where is OREXX help?

9. newbie question...anyone ?

10. newbie : array initialization, anyone ?

11. Newbie question (anyone programming with curses?)

12. Graphics help by newbie, please help