Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable? 
Author Message
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to compile REXX into a
32bit windows executable.


Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:13:42 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
Not directly into an executable, you can arrive at a tokenized file.

If you got fancy you could embed that tonenized data into an EXE, have the EXE allocate that tokenized data into memory, then pass that memory to RexxStart() allong with the command line parms... that is pretty much be what an Object Rexx EXE would be.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.



Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:40:25 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
% I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to compile REXX into a
% 32bit windows executable.

You can use Mark Hessling's rexx/wrapper to create an executable which has
the rexx code compiled in to it. If your goal is to improve performance
by compiling into machine code, this won't help, but if the goal is to
have a single executable which includes rexx code, it can be helpful.
http://rexxwrapper.sourceforge.net

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada



Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:32:31 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
If your aim is:
- either to obfuscate the code,
- or to distribute your application with the OO-REXX runtime (i.e. without
requiring that your users install OO-REXX)
- or both
then you can use the REXXC utility. as described in the Programming Guide
under Object REXX Runtime.


Quote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to compile REXX into a
> 32bit windows executable.



Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:26:52 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
I tried using the REXXC utility with a very simple program (ie say 'Hello
World') and while it had no problem making the output file, it did not seem
to work.  Any suggestions?


Quote:
> If your aim is:
> - either to obfuscate the code,
> - or to distribute your application with the OO-REXX runtime (i.e. without
> requiring that your users install OO-REXX)
> - or both
> then you can use the REXXC utility. as described in the Programming Guide
> under Object REXX Runtime.



> > I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to compile REXX into a
> > 32bit windows executable.



Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:24:09 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
No suggestions, it works fine for me (OO-REXX Development V2.1.1 on W2K).


Quote:
> I tried using the REXXC utility with a very simple program (ie say 'Hello
> World') and while it had no problem making the output file, it did not
seem
> to work.  Any suggestions?



> > If your aim is:
> > - either to obfuscate the code,
> > - or to distribute your application with the OO-REXX runtime (i.e.
without
> > requiring that your users install OO-REXX)
> > - or both
> > then you can use the REXXC utility. as described in the Programming
Guide
> > under Object REXX Runtime.



> > > I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to compile REXX into
a
> > > 32bit windows executable.



Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:30:56 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?

Quote:

> I tried using the REXXC utility with a very simple program (ie say 'Hello
> World') and while it had no problem making the output file, it did not seem
> to work.  Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that does not produce an EXE, it tokenizes the source so people can't see it / steal your code.

RexxC myProg.rex myProgTok.rex <-- Tokenize
Rexx myProgTok.rex <-- Execute

Now, Rexx is merely a kick-start EXE to read in the source file and pass it off to the DLL. What I was saying above is either you can build your own EXE, or try out RexxWrapper which I had forgotten about, to build a program that is basically Rexx.exe + myProgTok.rex all in one file.

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.



Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:24:21 GMT  
 Is it possible to compile Object REXX for Windows to an Executable?
wow....Now that's cool.  Thanks for the help, it worked like a champ.


Quote:

> > I tried using the REXXC utility with a very simple program (ie say
'Hello
> > World') and while it had no problem making the output file, it did not
seem
> > to work.  Any suggestions?

> Keep in mind that does not produce an EXE, it tokenizes the source so

people can't see it / steal your code.
Quote:

> RexxC myProg.rex myProgTok.rex <-- Tokenize
> Rexx myProgTok.rex <-- Execute

> Now, Rexx is merely a kick-start EXE to read in the source file and pass

it off to the DLL. What I was saying above is either you can build your own
EXE, or try out RexxWrapper which I had forgotten about, to build a program
that is basically Rexx.exe + myProgTok.rex all in one file.
Quote:

> --
> Michael Lueck
> Lueck Data Systems

> Remove the upper case letters NOSPAM to contact me directly.



Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:17:15 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Support for REXX and Object REXX for Windows/AIX

2. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

3. Compiling executables for windows (plus patches).

4. Compiling Tk into a Windows executable???

5. Announce: Update for Object REXX for Windows 95/Windows NT available

6. Windows Object Rexx & OODialog

7. Parse XML with Object REXX on Windows

8. A tool for all Windows Object Rexx users (I think)

9. Object Rexx and Windows XP

10. Accessing a Windows Dialog Box in Object REXX

11. Object REXX For Windows 95

12. Converting VxREXX to Object REXX for Windows NT

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software