Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re
Author Message
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...

 Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
 Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
 Ma> your own.

It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or something like
that), the company that bought Watcom.

Mike Ruskai [Team OS/2]

... D.C. - {*filter*} and Crime. And that's just congress.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
--
 |Fidonet:  Mike Ruskai 1:107/634

 |  Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his/her own.

Mon, 02 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:

> on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...

>  Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
>  Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
>  Ma> your own.

> It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or something like
> that), the company that bought Watcom.

So?  The outcome is still the same.

foil is s rush"
Triak #35              "Life is a reach, then you gybe"
"Eleven"

Wed, 04 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

on 02-18-97  18:53 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...

 > on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...
 >
 >  Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
 >  Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
 >  Ma> your own.
 >
 > It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or something like
 > that), the company that bought Watcom.

 Da> So?  The outcome is still the same.

Hardly.  A customer complaining about Powersoft is different than an idiot
blathering about a non-existent Watcom.

One may be heeded, while the other is quickly ignored.

Mike Ruskai [Team OS/2]

... FBI: Federal Bureau of Intimidation

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
--
 |Fidonet:  Mike Ruskai 1:107/634

 |  Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his/her own.

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:

> on 02-18-97  18:53 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...

>  > on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...

>  >  Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
>  >  Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
>  >  Ma> your own.

>  > It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or something like
>  > that), the company that bought Watcom.

>  Da> So?  The outcome is still the same.

> Hardly.  A customer complaining about Powersoft is different than an idiot
> blathering about a non-existent Watcom.

> One may be heeded, while the other is quickly ignored.

So let me see if I get this right.  Complaining about powersofts'
dropping VX-REXX will bring it back?

Its semantics.  The product is gone.  Blaming Watcom or Powersoft ain't
ganna bring it baack, hence the outcome is still the same.

foil is s rush"
Triak #35              "Life is a reach, then you gybe"
"Eleven"

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

: >

: > on 02-18-97  18:53 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...
: >

: >  >

: >  > on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...
: >  >
: >  >  Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
: >  >  Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
: >  >  Ma> your own.
: >  >
: >  > It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or
something like
: >  > that), the company that bought Watcom.

Maybe someone (IBM? <g>) could buy it from Powersoft. Clearly they
don't value it very highly, presumably because it's OS/2 and so
not in the perceived maximal profit zone.

yours, Patrick

Disclaimer: The form is BT but the essence is me.

"Occam's razor is so sharp, I bought the whole argument"

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:

> : >

> : > on 02-18-97  18:53 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...
> : >

> : >  >

> : >  > on 02-13-97  12:38 about Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re...
> : >  >
> : >  >  Ma> Regardless of past merits, it appears that Watcom no longer
> : >  >  Ma> has any interest in VX Rexx, so if you puchase it you are on
> : >  >  Ma> your own.
> : >  >
> : >  > It's not Watcom that has no interest, it's Powersoft (or
> something like
> : >  > that), the company that bought Watcom.

> Maybe someone (IBM? <g>) could buy it from Powersoft. Clearly they
> don't value it very highly, presumably because it's OS/2 and so
> not in the perceived maximal profit zone.

But it is still the best REXX or maybe even compared to other
lang.. the best RAD development tool there is!

I am sorry to say this but HOCKWARE (VISPRO/REXX) have a very
long way to go to make VP as easy as VX!!!!

There is only one thing a would like to want in VX
and that is the FREEFORM object!

So if anyone know something for it pleas help me.

Greetings

J.Compagner
The Netherlands

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:
> I am sorry to say this but HOCKWARE (VISPRO/REXX) have a very
> long way to go to make VP as easy as VX!!!!

No need to be sorry. Our usability testing shows that it comes down to
personal preference. Users comfortable with the workplace shell prefer
our product and its multiple view, workplace shell integrated style.
VisPro's Event Tree view still has no equivalent in any environment
(hence the popularity of our new VisPro for Visual Basic product)

VX is basically a Visual Basic clone. Windows users seem to prefer it.
Note that a deviation from the VB model is drag-and-drop programming,
but that techniques was pioneered by VisPro version 1.0 and only
appeared in VX REXX a year later.

--
Dave Hock

http://www.vispro.com
Come See How Visual Basic Just Got More Visual

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:

> > I am sorry to say this but HOCKWARE (VISPRO/REXX) have a very
> > long way to go to make VP as easy as VX!!!!

> No need to be sorry. Our usability testing shows that it comes down to
> personal preference. Users comfortable with the workplace shell prefer
> our product and its multiple view, workplace shell integrated style.
> VisPro's Event Tree view still has no equivalent in any environment
> (hence the popularity of our new VisPro for Visual Basic product)

> VX is basically a Visual Basic clone. Windows users seem to prefer it.

I have never used anything like that and i am NOT an WINDOWS
user!

Quote:
> Note that a deviation from the VB model is drag-and-drop programming,
> but that techniques was pioneered by VisPro version 1.0 and only
> appeared in VX REXX a year later.

But the did it a bit better with the popup dialog!
Quote:

> --
> Dave Hock

> http://www.vispro.com
> Come See How Visual Basic Just Got More Visual

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Quote:

>VX is basically a Visual Basic clone. Windows users seem to prefer it.
>Note that a deviation from the VB model is drag-and-drop programming,
>but that techniques was pioneered by VisPro version 1.0 and only
>appeared in VX REXX a year later.

Objections Sir :-)
You know me as a VX - User. I recently tried Gold 3.01. Besides from the fact, that it crashed my machine, I'm shure, that I would never obtain the productivity I have with VX. VP lacks very very much online Help - Support, it lacks the richness of  code - templates, and to my opinion the  "using" is not consequent.

Nevertheless, I will have switch to either VP or GPF, as I connot afford a "unsupported Tool".
What I would like to see is a ODK or a Redbook, how to add own objects to VP.

From GPF I can get this Information.

BTW: Dave, I never had a DOS or Windows PC, But I don't like your WPS - Integration, as ist is not very productive for me.

If you only would add dynamic creation of objects and events and a good (online) doc. SIGH !!

Heinz Mueller.

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Vispro Rexx vs. VX Re

Rexx vs. VX Re" as follows:

h> What I would like to see is a ODK or a Redbook, how to add own
h> objects to VP.

Download VPTOOL.ZIP from Hockware's Compuserve forum. It might be
available from one of their Web pages too.

h> If you only would add dynamic creation of objects and
h> events and a good (online) doc. SIGH !!

The Vis Pro docs have always been a bit of a challenge. I simply
became used to them.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

 * KWQ/2 1.2i * OS/2: The choice of the next generation.
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

3. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

4. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

5. VisPro REXX vs VX-REXX

6. Vispro Rexx vs. VX Rexx?

7. Final Re: Vispro Rexx vs. VX Rexx?

8. Vispro vs. VX-Rexx

9. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

10. VX-REXX C/S 2.1b Much Slower Than VISPRO-REXX

11. ??? Redirecting output to an MLE (VX-REXX or VisPro REXX)

12. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx