Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows?????? 
Author Message
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Hi !!!
My english no is very well, I am trying to comunicating the actual problem
scenario to gain some help:

We have a lot of data in a DB2 v2.1 on OS/2 warp v4. and we have too a lot
of (PL/I and) REXX programs.

We want migrate from OS/2 DB2 v2.1 to Windows DB2 v7. and we want to be sure
if the OS/2 (PL/I and) REXX programs will can run normally on Windows PL/I
and Windows REXX?

Please let us to know what things we must be consider to achieve
successfully migration?

Very thanks.

God bless you all.



Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:27:18 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????
Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.


Quote:
> Hi !!!
> My english no is very well, I am trying to comunicating the actual problem
> scenario to gain some help:

> We have a lot of data in a DB2 v2.1 on OS/2 warp v4. and we have too a lot
> of (PL/I and) REXX programs.

> We want migrate from OS/2 DB2 v2.1 to Windows DB2 v7. and we want to be
sure
> if the OS/2 (PL/I and) REXX programs will can run normally on Windows PL/I
> and Windows REXX?

> Please let us to know what things we must be consider to achieve
> successfully migration?

> Very thanks.

> God bless you all.



Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:57:09 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:

> Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.

I would think that if he's actually "cross-posting" and not
"multi-posting" that this would be appropriate to both groups?


Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:17:55 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:


> > Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.

> I would think that if he's actually "cross-posting" and not
> "multi-posting" that this would be appropriate to both groups?

  In fact, the PL/I forum would be an incorrect posting, and this is the
place for such a question.
  Unfortunately, I do not have the expertise to answer the question.


Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:17:31 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????
Actually he multi-posted slightly different messages. The PL/I forum message
was the more comprehensive, and indeed his main problems are in fact
PL/I-centred.


Quote:


> > > Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.

> > I would think that if he's actually "cross-posting" and not
> > "multi-posting" that this would be appropriate to both groups?

>   In fact, the PL/I forum would be an incorrect posting, and this is the
> place for such a question.
>   Unfortunately, I do not have the expertise to answer the question.



Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:03:41 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????
Hi again Mark!!

I am sorry ... We not want disturb or complicate to anybody.
Please excuse us for posting our inquiry here.
We only are looking for help.
In our situation is involved REXX for that we posted here.
May be all you or somebody can join to us at PL/I forum with Mark to
contribute with us or/and learn too.
For your reference we post too for help at comp.databases.ibm-db2.

we apologize.

thanks.

God bless you all.


Quote:
> Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.



> > Hi !!!
> > My english no is very well, I am trying to comunicating the actual
problem
> > scenario to gain some help:

> > We have a lot of data in a DB2 v2.1 on OS/2 warp v4. and we have too a
lot
> > of (PL/I and) REXX programs.

> > We want migrate from OS/2 DB2 v2.1 to Windows DB2 v7. and we want to be
> sure
> > if the OS/2 (PL/I and) REXX programs will can run normally on Windows
PL/I
> > and Windows REXX?

> > Please let us to know what things we must be consider to achieve
> > successfully migration?

> > Very thanks.

> > God bless you all.



Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:39:21 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:

> Hi again Mark!!

> I am sorry ... We not want disturb or complicate to anybody.
> Please excuse us for posting our inquiry here.
> We only are looking for help.
> In our situation is involved REXX for that we posted here.
> May be all you or somebody can join to us at PL/I forum with Mark to
> contribute with us or/and learn too.
> For your reference we post too for help at comp.databases.ibm-db2.

> we apologize.

> thanks.

> God bless you all.



> > Already answered on the PL/I forum. And kindly dont' cross post.



> > > Hi !!!
> > > My english no is very well, I am trying to comunicating the actual
> problem
> > > scenario to gain some help:

> > > We have a lot of data in a DB2 v2.1 on OS/2 warp v4. and we have too a
> lot
> > > of (PL/I and) REXX programs.

> > > We want migrate from OS/2 DB2 v2.1 to Windows DB2 v7. and we want to be
> > sure
> > > if the OS/2 (PL/I and) REXX programs will can run normally on Windows
> PL/I
> > > and Windows REXX?

> > > Please let us to know what things we must be consider to achieve
> > > successfully migration?

> > > Very thanks.

> > > God bless you all.

  I am curious: why in the heck would anyone use the most piggy
language, namely PL/I?
  On mainframes, it is almost impossible for a programmer to create
source code that results in such large (and slow) compiled results,
given the same program requirements; even unstructured Cobol using mixed
languages seems better.
  Any structured program in any *other* modern language (Cobol, fortran,
Basic, etc) will be close to structured assembly.


Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:54:44 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????


Quote:
>   I am curious: why in the heck would anyone use the most piggy
> language, namely PL/I?
>   On mainframes, it is almost impossible for a programmer to create
> source code that results in such large (and slow) compiled results,
> given the same program requirements; even unstructured Cobol using mixed
> languages seems better.
>   Any structured program in any *other* modern language (Cobol, Fortran,
> Basic, etc) will be close to structured assembly.

Why do you post rhetorical questions for which you don't want an answer
"words like "piggy", "almost impossible"? You also obviously have no
experience with IBM's more recent PL/I offerings, including those on MVS.
Why not look at why people are using PL/I, on MVS, Unix, OS/2 and Windows.

I do it for a living - and this is an application of the 500KLOC size using
5 different languages (3 compiled, 2 script). Some of the newer code was
written in C by somebody following your idea. That person is now about to
recode it back into PL/I. Why? It was buggier, harder to maintain, no faster
and no smaller (object code), - and the absence of proper error handling
also made it that part of the program that was least recoverable - although
the more terse syntax did make the source a little shorter (less than you
might think, as the string handling code was much longer). Oh, and yes, the
GUI is written in Visual Basic, calling in to the PL/I code - so we're by no
means stuck with PL/I (we also have code in Perl and REXX in this project).



Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:31:27 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:



> >   I am curious: why in the heck would anyone use the most piggy
> > language, namely PL/I?
> >   On mainframes, it is almost impossible for a programmer to create
> > source code that results in such large (and slow) compiled results,
> > given the same program requirements; even unstructured Cobol using mixed
> > languages seems better.
> >   Any structured program in any *other* modern language (Cobol, Fortran,
> > Basic, etc) will be close to structured assembly.

> Why do you post rhetorical questions for which you don't want an answer
> "words like "piggy", "almost impossible"? You also obviously have no
> experience with IBM's more recent PL/I offerings, including those on MVS.
> Why not look at why people are using PL/I, on MVS, Unix, OS/2 and Windows.

> I do it for a living - and this is an application of the 500KLOC size using
> 5 different languages (3 compiled, 2 script). Some of the newer code was
> written in C by somebody following your idea. That person is now about to
> recode it back into PL/I. Why? It was buggier, harder to maintain, no faster
> and no smaller (object code), - and the absence of proper error handling
> also made it that part of the program that was least recoverable - although
> the more terse syntax did make the source a little shorter (less than you
> might think, as the string handling code was much longer). Oh, and yes, the
> GUI is written in Visual Basic, calling in to the PL/I code - so we're by no
> means stuck with PL/I (we also have code in Perl and REXX in this project).

  My, waving a flag for a language that has not been supported by IBM
for over ten years!
  For PL/I, there has been no updates and no support by IBM; if it dies,
there will be no way to recover.
  Interesting.
  You notice that I did not mention C; the whole project undoubtedly can
be written totally in structured Cobol (yes, excellent GUI *is*
available in Cobol), and i bet it would run anywhere from ten to 200
times faster (real numbers in the real world).


Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:21:49 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????
On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:54:44 GMT, robertbaer

Quote:

>  I am curious: why in the heck would anyone use the most piggy
>language, namely PL/I?
>  On mainframes, it is almost impossible for a programmer to create
>source code that results in such large (and slow) compiled results,
>given the same program requirements; even unstructured Cobol using mixed
>languages seems better.
>  Any structured program in any *other* modern language (Cobol, Fortran,
>Basic, etc) will be close to structured assembly.

You are speaking, of course, from personal experience.  If I were you
I would track down the person who taught me PL/I and demand my money
back because s/he obviously didn't teach it correctly.

Speaking from -my- personal experience I can relate that I once
rewrote an Assembler routine from specs in PL/I (because we had lost
the BAL source code and it needed an enhancement).  Everyone
(including me) was surprised to discover that it ran -faster- than the
original BAL.

Probable reason: even a good BAL programmer will make the occasional
mistake (ordinary BAL programmers will make lots); the Optimizing
Compiler doesn't (given good source to start with).   And I -always-
provide good source.  

Rule #1 is "Write good code and specify ORDER."

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
REXX Language Assn
Join us at www.rexxla.org



Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:46:19 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????


Quote:
>   My, waving a flag for a language that has not been supported by IBM
> for over ten years!
>   For PL/I, there has been no updates and no support by IBM; if it dies,
> there will be no way to recover.

Huh? No new compiler? No updates? No support?

Wha do you think IBM VisualAge PL/I represents?

My I suggest taking a short look at the IBM PL/I home page? You can find it
at http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/pli/ and may find that your "dead"
language is not only alive and well, but that there is quite a lot of
activity going on in new compilers... You can even click on the "buy now"
button and try it out yourself on your NT / W2K home system.



Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:49:02 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:



> >   My, waving a flag for a language that has not been supported by IBM
> > for over ten years!
> >   For PL/I, there has been no updates and no support by IBM; if it dies,
> > there will be no way to recover.

> Huh? No new compiler? No updates? No support?

> Wha do you think IBM VisualAge PL/I represents?

> My I suggest taking a short look at the IBM PL/I home page? You can find it
> at http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/pli/ and may find that your "dead"
> language is not only alive and well, but that there is quite a lot of
> activity going on in new compilers... You can even click on the "buy now"
> button and try it out yourself on your NT / W2K home system.

  Sorry, it seemed that you were on a mainframe; IBM pulled all support
ages ago there.


Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:51:29 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????

Quote:

>   Sorry, it seemed that you were on a mainframe; IBM pulled all support
> ages ago there.

Really? IBM VisualAge PL/I is mainframe too:
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/pli/pli390.htm

Regards, Johnnie

--
Rexx links at the Open Directory Project:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Rexx/



Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:55:25 GMT  
 Migrating OS/2 REXX programs to REXX Windows??????
Once again, look at this page - before making statements that are patently
incorrect. There are 3 supported mainframe compilers, including a new one
called VisualAge PL/I.


Quote:



> > >   My, waving a flag for a language that has not been supported by IBM
> > > for over ten years!
> > >   For PL/I, there has been no updates and no support by IBM; if it
dies,
> > > there will be no way to recover.

> > Huh? No new compiler? No updates? No support?

> > Wha do you think IBM VisualAge PL/I represents?

> > My I suggest taking a short look at the IBM PL/I home page? You can find
it
> > at http://www.ibm.com/software/ad/pli/ and may find that your "dead"
> > language is not only alive and well, but that there is quite a lot of
> > activity going on in new compilers... You can even click on the "buy
now"
> > button and try it out yourself on your NT / W2K home system.

>   Sorry, it seemed that you were on a mainframe; IBM pulled all support
> ages ago there.



Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:40:55 GMT  
 
 [ 14 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Migrating REXX CGI program from OS/2 to ORexx on W2K

2. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

3. REXX in WINDOWS/REXX Add-ins/VISUAL REXX ????

4. GUI REXX program under OS/2 + Windows

5. Stopping A REXX Program With Another REXX Program

6. sharing external functions between cms rexx programs and xedit rexx programs

7. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx

8. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

9. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

10. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

11. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

12. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software